Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2023 Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Strome is waaay more likely the 1c in two years than he is the 4c…..eesh.
Would you have a problem if CMM, Protas, and Lappy were as good or better than Strome in 2 - 4 years? I hope not. It would be very good if they did elevate to that level or beyond.

Seems like some only want Doom and Glooom...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Would you have a problem if CMM, Protas, and Lappy were as good or better than Strome in 2 - 4 years? I hope not. It would be very good if they did elevate to that level or beyond.

Seems like some only want Doom and Glooom...

lol…come on, we all would be happy, I just think you’re overly optimistic, not everyone else who isn’t, is Doom and Gloom….

They just locked Strome up to a sizable long term deal. If he’s the 4c in a couple of years he will be a disappointment IMO. Don’t see it happening.

Reactions: Kolzilla

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
lol…come on, we all would be happy, I just think you’re overly optimistic, not everyone else who isn’t, is Doom and Gloom….

They just locked Strome up to a sizable long term deal. If he’s the 4c in a couple of years he will be a disappointment IMO. Don’t see it happening.

My original post - and my point - is that CMM and Protas have, in my opinion, a lot more upside than many give them credit for (same with Lapierre, but maybe a little lower ceiling than the other two).

Not saying Strome will deteriorate to 4C, but highly enthusiastic about CMM and Protas upside. Lapierre too. That's all.

I also have very, very high hopes for Miro and Leonard, and possibly Cristall (but less certainty on him at this point, but also hopeful).

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
My original post - and my point - is that CMM and Protas have, in my opinion, a lot more upside than many give them credit for (same with Lapierre, but maybe a little lower ceiling than the other two).

Not saying Strome will deteriorate to 4C, but highly enthusiastic about CMM and Protas upside. Lapierre too. That's all.

I also have very, very high hopes for Miro and Leonard, and possibly Cristall (but less certainty on him at this point, but also

hopeful).

Ohhh you’re HIGHLY enthusiastic….why didn’t you say so?!? ;)

“I object your Honor”….”overruled”

“Your Honor I STRONGLY object”……”oh you Strongly object?!?”

I hope things become as rosy as you’re projecting!

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Haven’t been able to watch anything other than highlights. How has LuJo looked? He was an absolute beast in the Calder Cup run last year. Arguably Hershey’s best defender at both ends of the ice

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Haven’t been able to watch anything other than highlights. How has LuJo looked? He was an absolute beast in the Calder Cup run last year. Arguably Hershey’s best defender at both ends of the ice
If he’s going to make the NHL, it really feels like it will be on another team. I’m not sure what part of his game ‘pops’ at the NHL level.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Serial_Derecho

Apr 11, 2006
Charles Town, WV

NAK being waived is a bit surprising. Good news for Miro & Protas it seems.

Glad Miro is still around!

With the roster down to 27, that leaves 4 more moves yet to come.
* The obvious one is sending Gibson back.​
* Also likely that both Pacioretty & Edmunson are LTIR.​
* So that leaves one move left... I would think that would be LuJo?​
Edit: Remaining roster

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I wonder if they're really agonizing over cutting Mantha, I can't imagine they carry 15 forwards but maybe they do. And I think they have to actually clear the roster before they can put Edmundson and Pacioretty on LTIR.

Miro making it better mean he's playing though. Based on that roster list feel like we gotta see.

Ovi - Kuzya- Miro
CMM - Backstrom - Wilson
Phillips- Strome - Oshie
Milano - Dowd - Protas

HHA - Carlson
Sandin - Jensen
Fehevary - TVR

With Alexyev, Malenstyn, and Mantha on the bench I guess? I think it's a bit early for Miro, but he needs to be playing top line time. Can throw the top 3 centers and the left side of the D into a blender whenever they want though.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I am surprised about NAK, but not disappointed. Not surprised about Snively and think he gets claimed. Don’t care. I suspect the others to pass through with no problem.

On Miro, I think there are some political factors at play here. He doesn’t speak much (if any) English. In Washington he has OV, Kuzy, Alexyev, and Protas whom can help translate for him. Maybe Trinyev in Hershey. But I suspect he gets sent down as he really needs to play in North American games this year.

On defense, I think Aktel has won/earned that 6 spot while Edmundson is out. But when Joel comes back Aktel will be sent to Hershey as waivers exempt. Alexyev will need to continue to grow but he’ll stay as 7th dee. Johansen is going to top at journeyman 6-7th dee. He isn’t terrible, but not a regular on a good team.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I am surprised about NAK, but not disappointed. Not surprised about Snively and think he gets claimed. Don’t care. I suspect the others to pass through with no problem.

On Miro, I think there are some political factors at play here. He doesn’t speak much (if any) English. In Washington he has OV, Kuzy, Alexyev, and Protas whom can help translate for him. Maybe Trinyev in Hershey. But I suspect he gets sent down as he really needs to play in North American games this year.

On defense, I think Aktel has won/earned that 6 spot while Edmundson is out. But when Joel comes back Aktel will be sent to Hershey as waivers exempt. Alexyev will need to continue to grow but he’ll stay as 7th dee. Johansen is going to top at journeyman 6-7th dee. He isn’t terrible, but not a regular on a good team.
Miro has looked good to me, although I didn’t see all of yesterdays game.

I don’t subscribe that every young player needs to be sent down to learn the game. If you’re better than the next guy than you should play.

Reactions: Kolzilla

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Awful. To the point where his performance is dragging down Iorio's with him, at times. One of the few disappointing younger Capitals in camp. Very far behind HHA and even Alexeyev.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Listening to these pressers it does sound like Carberry likes to go with an offense pairing and defense pairing and not try to balance a offense guy with a stay at home guy. Says they might go to that but I do suspect it will be Sandin-Carlson as they have showed all camp.

mix and match the rest but probably Fever/Jensen, HHA/TVR

And I do agree I think Johansen has been the worst of the bunch unfortunately.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Surprised at NAK being waived. He's not a good enough player to get truly "upset" about, but keeping Malentsyn over him is a little perplexing (considering NAK is basically the player that Malentsyn hopes to become, perhaps with fewer penalties taken).
It's good news for Protas, though.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Surprised at NAK being waived. He's not a good enough player to get truly "upset" about, but keeping Malentsyn over him is a little perplexing (considering NAK is basically the player that Malentsyn hopes to become, perhaps with fewer penalties taken).
It's good news for Protas, though.
Not too surprising. NAK has a little better offensive toolset than Malenstyn, but Beck is faster, stronger, plays a cleaner more physical game, and is a much better penalty killer.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Have any teams around the league lost a top 6 player to injury this preseason?

That might be your market for a last-minute Mantha trade.

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
I wonder if they're really agonizing over cutting Mantha, I can't imagine they carry 15 forwards but maybe they do. And I think they have to actually clear the roster before they can put Edmundson and Pacioretty on LTIR.

Miro making it better mean he's playing though. Based on that roster list feel like we gotta see.

Ovi - Kuzya- Miro
CMM - Backstrom - Wilson
Phillips- Strome - Oshie
Milano - Dowd - Protas

HHA - Carlson
Sandin - Jensen
Fehevary - TVR

With Alexyev, Malenstyn, and Mantha on the bench I guess? I think it's a bit early for Miro, but he needs to be playing top line time. Can throw the top 3 centers and the left side of the D into a blender whenever they want though.
If they like what they saw in pre-season, I would think they keep Milano, Strome, Phillips together. Maybe they role with Protas/Beck - Dows - Oshie as the 4th line to start? Move Oshie around as needed?

Serial_Derecho

Apr 11, 2006
Charles Town, WV

He's been unimpressive. Im somewhat surprised he is still up here.

I was up at game 4 during the Calder Cup Finals against Coachella Valley. I'm not sure Ive seen a better individual defensive effort from a player than how LuJo played in that game. He was an absolute shot blocking beast! Multiple times that game he put himself in front of a slapshot, coming up with key blocks. But for whatever reason, his game has just not translated to the NHL.

Reactions: hb12xchamps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad