Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
He was already one of the best players in the league. If not the best player it is no point playing another season at that level.

Let him play professional players not 18-year-old college kids who he’s already graduated from
NCAA hockey isn't full of 18 year olds. I'm not sure why you assume it is. Here's a list of average age for 64 schools: Fun Facts - Team Average Age

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He was already one of the best players in the league. If not the best player it is no point playing another season at that level.

Let him play professional players not 18-year-old college kids who he’s already graduated from
Yeah usually only the star players play ncaa that young….others older, but I think your overall point stands….playing against professional men vs college youth….

I disagree with the earlier points that he would develop more offensively with another year in college vs making the jump to the NHL, or that somehow he can develop more as a leader if he doesn’t make the jump now….he’s already a leader IMO and still developing, and he’ll be playing in all offensive situations at the next level.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: alphabetical

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Random thought(s) with coaching searches beginning: I have this feeling that Mitch Love is going to be a top coaching target this offseason. We were lucky enough to grab him as an assistant and we will be lucky enough if we can somehow keep him without getting poached for next season. I think more than likely, he gets a head coaching job, however.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
We are going to get decimated on the coaching front.

Not just Mitch Love but there is no chance Todd Nelson doesn't get an NHL job.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
IF the Caps win tonight, I'm liking Chuckie's standing for the playoffs. No b2bs, maybe 2 days rest between one pair of games in a long series. He's gotten into a rhythm the past couple of months and although the playoffs will have a bit more pressure, he has performed great. And the team - at least on more nights than not - is playing good, tight d which makes it less burdensome on him.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Random thought(s) with coaching searches beginning: I have this feeling that Mitch Love is going to be a top coaching target this offseason. We were lucky enough to grab him as an assistant and we will be lucky enough if we can somehow keep him without getting poached for next season. I think more than likely, he gets a head coaching job, however.
Mitch Love is interesting. He wasn’t fully a Carberry choice. Not that he doesn’t like him, but he is not “Carbs guy”. He will definitely get opportunities and I believe the Caps will be OK losing him IF, Carbs can pick his guy.

Also Mitch Love is super tatted up. You can see if you look closely. Goes all the way up his neck and full sleeves. That could hurt him as he looks for a HC job. Some tats are fine but he is really tatted up.

regardless, he has been a good coach for us!

• Haha
Reactions: Hivemind

MileHighCapsFan

Mar 12, 2007

Let him play professional players not 18-year-old college kids who he’s already graduated
He's probably top 5-10 in NCAA, but definitely not the best. Still had plenty of physical growth and development in front of him. AND he has his two best friends growing up as teammates - which doesn't matter to fans but very much does to him.

In baseball locally, Jackson Holliday is the 2nd best MLB prospect and was tearing up the minors. As of this AM, he is 1 for 19 with a .053 batting avg. Is he helping the O's win the the World Series in '24? Probably not. Will he figure it out eventually..Likely..but more seasoning is required

Cutter Gauthier was a higher pick and still came back/needed a 2nd year. Not sure why everyone is so anxious to watch Leonard on the 3rd/4th lines for a year. Let him develop.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Mitch Love is interesting. He wasn’t fully a Carberry choice. Not that he doesn’t like him, but he is not “Carbs guy”. He will definitely get opportunities and I believe the Caps will be OK losing him IF, Carbs can pick his guy.

Also Mitch Love is super tatted up. You can see if you look closely. Goes all the way up his neck and full sleeves. That could hurt him as he looks for a HC job. Some tats are fine but he is really tatted up.

regardless, he has been a good coach for us!
Does that really matter these days. Facial tattoos seemed to really be the line these days.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
If you want Leonard on the Caps to help the team, then fine. Whether that's realistic is up for debate.

But the idea that Leonard has nothing to gain from college hockey because he's already so much better than the rest of the league is out of touch. The modern-day NCAA is full of high-level talent to train with and play against. A program like BC is in the business of developing players to be better in the NHL and not simply win college hockey games; it's part of their pitch to recruits. And the stability of remaining in one place for another year and getting full minutes allows players to focus on the areas of their game that need the most work rather than having to adjust to an overwhelming amount of additional responsibilities that come with being in the NHL.

Look no further than Cutter Gauthier on Leonard's own team. People said he was "NHL ready" last year because of his release and physicality, but in coming back for a second year he became a markedly more well-rounded player and so a better prospect.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Does that really matter these days. Facial tattoos seemed to really be the line these days.
It’s not going to be a deal breaker if he is the right fit. But at best it is a bit of a speed bump. Again, nobody gonna care about a good sleeve or some leg tattoos. But he is excessively tatted.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
In baseball locally, Jackson Holliday is the 2nd best MLB prospect and was tearing up the minors. As of this AM, he is 1 for 19 with a .053 batting avg. Is he helping the O's win the the World Series in '24? Probably not. Will he figure it out eventually..Likely..but more seasoning is required
It's also worth noting that Holliday making the majors at 20 is very abnormal in baseball. Many high-level baseball prospects get the call at 24 and no one bats an eye. Obviously baseball is a different sport, but I think hockey fans manufacture a sense of urgency that isn't present in other sports.

Ryan Leonard just turned 19. If you think he can contribute to the NHL team, then fine. But the idea that he has conquered everything in college hockey and is as physically mature as possible at that age is overeager.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
If you want Leonard on the Caps to help the team, then fine. Whether that's realistic is up for debate.

But the idea that Leonard has nothing to gain from college hockey because he's already so much better than the rest of the league is out of touch. The modern-day NCAA is full of high-level talent to train with and play against. A program like BC is in the business of developing players to be better in the NHL and not simply win college hockey games; it's part of their pitch to recruits. And the stability of remaining in one place for another year and getting full minutes allows players to focus on the areas of their game that need the most work rather than having to adjust to an overwhelming amount of additional responsibilities that come with being in the NHL.

Look no further than Cutter Gauthier on Leonard's own team. People said he was "NHL ready" last year because of his release and physicality, but in coming back for a second year he became a markedly more well-rounded player and so a better prospect.
This is where I stand. It's a step above junior hockey. Probably not quite AHL level play, but a great place for a player like Leonard to continue to develop while being a leader on a winning team. It has its advantages. He'd continue to develop if he jumped straight to the NHL, but he'd be playing a lesser role on a mid team. That's not necessarily a bad thing either. He's got two pretty good options. It's easy for us as caps fans to say it's a no brainer to make the jump, but he'll decide what's best for him and he'll be right.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
ultimately, the Caps will work with Leonard, his agent, his parents, coaches from BC to figure out what is best. Whatever they decide I won’t judge because i know the right people will have talked through it to come to the best decision.

The points I have been making is that things are lined up pretty well for Leonard to go pro now. He can get paid. He can develop. He shortens his ELC. He achieves his lifelong goal. And most importantly there is a clear spot for him in Washington NOW. And sure, i have a slight bias to see him go pro but ultimately I will be fine either way.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Do you not? I have watched enough of him this year to think so. I don’t think he’ll be without his blemishes. I think he will get sat some (Like Miro this year), but I think he is ready to play NHL hockey.
Oh i haven't seen nearly enough of him to have an opinion. It's just a bit surprising to see him mentioned as a top line candidate immediately. But i would love it if that was the case.

Considering GMBM said he was in camp….it’s very clear he’s progressed from there.
Ah i didn't know about that. Thanks!

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Does anyone know what NIL money is like for college hockey? You have to think that BC has some money to give out.
I checked his instagram to see if there was any hint about his decision. There wasn't... but he and his buddies were repping some shoe or clothing company or something. Surely they're making money. And probably pretty good money for college freshmen (soon to be sophomores). I'm sure college is a blast for those kids.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
Does anyone know what NIL money is like for college hockey? You have to think that BC has some money to give out.
NIL money hasn't fully broken into college hockey yet, but it's beginning to. I've heard that NIL money played a role in getting James Hagens, the potential 2025 1OA, to commit to BC last fall. So yes, BC is a player there.

Leonard has sponsorships with several companies as you can see on his IG page. Both on the feed and sometimes in his stories. I would imagine the number of brands interested in giving them a deal would only increase next year if Smith/Leonard/Perreault decided to come back since they're a very marketable trio together.

It's not NHL money, but I imagine it's enough that draftees are no longer starving college students getting by with just a meal plan and room/board. That might give kids who like where they are less of a reason to run away as soon as possible.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
NIL money hasn't fully broken into college hockey yet, but it's beginning to. I've heard that NIL money played a role in getting James Hagens, the potential 2025 1OA, to commit to BC last fall. So yes, BC is a player there.

Leonard has sponsorships with several companies as you can see on his IG page. Both on the feed and sometimes in his stories. I would imagine the number of brands interested in giving them a deal would only increase next year if Smith/Leonard/Perreault decided to come back since they're a very marketable trio together.

It's not NHL money, but I imagine it's enough that draftees are no longer starving college students getting by with just a meal plan and room/board. That might give kids who like where they are less of a reason to run away as soon as possible.
Where is the fun in that? I loved being a poor college student!

• Haha
Reactions: Wieters

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Nobody cares. He's gonna be in a suit behind the bench anyway. NHL locker rooms are full of tattoos, and most of society has moved on from being prejudiced against people with tats anyway. The Predators even did a tattoo industry night promotion a few years back.

Also, an excuse to post this legendary Brett Connolly photograph
DfW10dfWkAQii0r.jpg

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Free burritos….

• Haha
Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
It’s not going to be a deal breaker if he is the right fit. But at best it is a bit of a speed bump. Again, nobody gonna care about a good sleeve or some leg tattoos. But he is excessively tatted.
Just saw him coming into the caps locker room after the game couldn't not see any neck/hand tattoos that could be seen wearing a suit.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
Hoping Sandin and Jensen are ready to go for Game 1 (as admirably as Iorio and McIlrath have filled in).

Funny that Patches turned down a deadline deal to go to the Rangers and now plays them round 1. He wanted to go to Florida but they acquired Tarasenko instead.

Storyline-wise we also have the Lindgren Family Feud, Tom Wilson continuing to terrorize the Rangers, and Connor McMichael getting revenge on Lavi lol.

Usually I’d be worried about a 3-4 day layoff but the Caps badly need the rest. Let’s take Game 1 and then who knows.

Reactions: Pigskin

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

FWIW. Otherwise you'd think we would have heard something already. Making the playoffs could sway him but would they promise to play him? Pacioretty would be the easiest player to sit but he'd need to get in some practices.

Reactions: zappa4ever

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Nobody cares. He's gonna be in a suit behind the bench anyway. NHL locker rooms are full of tattoos, and most of society has moved on from being prejudiced against people with tats anyway. The Predators even did a tattoo industry night promotion a few years back.

Also, an excuse to post this legendary Brett Connolly photograph
DfW10dfWkAQii0r.jpg

Right back atcha. Legends, all of them!

imrs.php

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

FWIW. Otherwise you'd think we would have heard something already. Making the playoffs could sway him but would they promise to play him? Pacioretty would be the easiest player to sit but he'd need to get in some practices.

Yeah, figured we’d have heard something by now. Gauthier signed the day after BCs season ended and none of the other freshmen have declared so I doubt there’s anything left in this process other than RL officially announcing his return.

Would be kind of funny to watch Leonard vs Perreault in the playoffs though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad