Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I would think if Leonard is leaving we'd hear today, right? It shouldn't take that long to decide. By now you'd think it rules him out as a possibility playing tomorrow night in the finale so perhaps making the playoffs could be a factor. San Jose's last game is Thursday and you wonder if they're not trying to get Smith out by quickly burning the first year on his ELC. You'd think Perreault is the most likely to stay but even he could sign and play in the AHL. Of course, all three could return but there's got to be a pull on Leonard and Smith in particular.

Leonard could pull a Cooley I guess and be drawn to the idea of going pro over the summer or something. But as a competitive player you'd think the draw of potential NHL playoff action or at least AHL playoff action could be a draw. The World Championships could perhaps also be an option for him if he does decide to stay.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I would think if Leonard is leaving we'd hear today, right? It shouldn't take that long to decide. By now you'd think it rules him out as a possibility playing tomorrow night in the finale so perhaps making the playoffs could be a factor. San Jose's last game is Thursday and you wonder if they're not trying to get Smith out by quickly burning the first year on his ELC. You'd think Perreault is the most likely to stay but even he could sign and play in the AHL. Of course, all three could return but there's got to be a pull on Leonard and Smith in particular.

Leonard could pull a Cooley I guess and be drawn to the idea of going pro over the summer or something. But as a competitive player you'd think the draw of potential NHL playoff action or at least AHL playoff action could be a draw. The World Championships could perhaps also be an option for him if he does decide to stay.
Does fewer than 10 games still burn the year for contract purposes?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It's a beautiful day for Leonard to sign and Caps to beat the Bruins. Preferably with Leonard in the line-up but i'm fine with him sinking the Flyers tomorrow.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I really don't see why they'd bother to sign Leonard, assuming he even wants to make the jump yet, for this playoff run. Much rather he sign and go down to Hershey, but regardless save the 3 years of ELC time.

Last edited:

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I really don't see why they'd bother to sign Leonard, assuming he even wants to make the jump yet, for this playoff run. Much rather he sign and go down to Hershey, but regardless save the 3 years of ELC time.
I think from a development perspective he probably gains more in the NHL next season than the NCAA. Convincing him he's hopping in for a playoff run now as an incentive to sign instead of stay. As Langway said, it doesn't burn the year. (Although if it did that would also be something I would use as an incentive)

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Yeah I'm saying it's probably a pretty solid bet that whole line comes back for another year to try and win it all. With the addition of likely 2025 #1 overall pick Mike Hagens starting his journey at BC next season it would be a tremendous opportunity for them to win.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Smith and Leonard can play in the NHL now. Sure they could make a pack but that would be getting dragged back into the college.

There are two reasons why Leonard would want to go pro now. First is that it shortens his ELC and sets him up to make more money. Secondly, There is a spot ready for him next year in middle 6. Maybe even first line as the year goes on. Things could change in a year because if he is not coming, then we will be signing a FA on the right side and it likely won’t be a one year deal so that creates more competition for him. And if he waits a year he is not getting so much better that he is a 1RW. He will still have to prove in middle-six.

Despite what some fans think, the Caps aren’t cheap. GMBM wants Leonard in Washington (based on his commments before), so they don’t care about burning a year of his ELC. Whether he plays in playoffs or not can’t be guaranteed.

If his goal is to go pro and play in the NHL, he shouldn’t wait. It may be there next year. It may not. But it is available to him now for sure!

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
People seem very sure Leonard is NHL ready at this point. He may be but still.....
Do you not? I have watched enough of him this year to think so. I don’t think he’ll be without his blemishes. I think he will get sat some (Like Miro this year), but I think he is ready to play NHL hockey.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Do you not? I have watched enough of him this year to think so. I don’t think he’ll be without his blemishes. I think he will get sat some (Like Miro this year), but I think he is ready to play NHL hockey.
I think there are positives to either choice. He's likely ready to have a role on the caps, and playing against the best players in the world would provide an excellent opportunity to get used to the speed and the physicality. However, staying at BC would give him more opportunity to fine-tune some of his skills. He'd get more opportunity to work on his finishing and puck skills, and he'll have a chance to develop as a leader.

He'll be ahead in terms of general development if he comes to the caps, but he has a chance to develop more scoring touch if he stays at BC. I don't think the caps are a winger away from anything at the moment, so I doubt it makes a difference in the greater scheme of things.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Yeah I'm saying it's probably a pretty solid bet that whole line comes back for another year to try and win it all. With the addition of likely 2025 #1 overall pick Mike Hagens starting his journey at BC next season it would be a tremendous opportunity for them to win.
James but close enough

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I want Leonard in Washington. He isn’t going to develop as much playing with kids he is better than.
He was already one of the best players in the league. If not the best player it is no point playing another season at that level.

Let him play professional players not 18-year-old college kids who he’s already graduated from

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad