Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Interestingly enough, we're still right there w/3 gms left

w/3 gms anyone can Win 3 in a row or drop all 3

if we manage to tie the Isles we've got the tiebreaker on them
we'd have to beat PIT by 1 since PIT has the tb on us

if we go 3-0 PIT's got to be at least 2-0-1

get a W v TBL, put the pressure on DET @ TOR and PIT v BOS who play later games tmrw

we're basically chasing 1 team now, PIT (unless NYI loses next 2)

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Interestingly enough, we're still right there w/3 gms left

w/3 gms anyone can Win 3 in a row or drop all 3

if we manage to tie the Isles we've got the tiebreaker on them
we'd have to beat PIT by 1 since PIT has the tb on us

if we go 3-0 PIT's got to be at least 2-0-1

get a W v TBL, put the pressure on DET @ TOR and PIT v BOS who play later games tmrw

we're basically chasing 1 team now, PIT (unless NYI loses next 2)
After the last game, we can forget about M3 spot. Isles are too far ahead.
Have to focus only on WC2 now.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I’m ok missing the playoffs. It would have been “fun” to do so, but it was always a long shot. Always.

This team has cleared a LOT of milestones. It’s removed almost ALL of its “headache contracts” (save maybe Oshie, but he’s worth the $$$ when he can play), and we’ve integrated a LOT of the Hershey youth.

They have a much clearer path forward, than they did even 4mo ago, and that’s huge.

The youth will grow, there is more to be added, and they have money to spend in FA (like…. A lot?).

Skies are bright! It just doesn’t feel that way as we miss the playoffs by a hair.
The course of this year for me has roughly gone as follows:

-Okay it's the prove it year for a lot of guys
-Alright, Backstrom's done, love you forever bud but it's okay if it's over (and it looks like it is)
-Is Ovechkin done too, or what's up?
-Kuznetsov is a problem but they're giving young guys reps and overall doing better than we thought, Mantha line was holding things up for a while
-So they're sellers but that's okay, because the guys they want to sell are doing well, they're flirting with pulling out of the team funk but it's a fool's errand
-Team goes on a heater, spurred a lot by youth and Ovechkin doing his damage, and the big value is that those young guys are playing games that aren't just run of the mill anymore.
-I think they eat some of that pressure and now we're here, which is perfectly okay considering how it really started.

Yes, I'd like for them to reach the playoffs, experience 4 guaranteed games, and approach the offseason preparing for what it's like to win the playoff game because that's always a bit of a system shock and it's best to see it early... but either way I think a lot of these young guys are going to see what they did this year and hopefully take steps to be ready for the big time from here on.

The team is also better situated with some contracts out and Backstrom more of a backburner issue. He's a proud man and I don't know if he thinks he's fully done, or needs a year, or just wants to come back for the final record stretch or what... but it's not a handicap right now and I think they know how to work from here.

It's a good spot to be in while also having managed to be decent to a lot of people in the process.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
After the last game, we can forget about M3 spot. Isles are too far ahead.
Have to focus only on WC2 now.
One site gives the Caps a 14% chance of getting M3 if they win their next two. WC2 is more likely if they win out, M3 is unlikely but possible. And even if they win out, a playoff spot is not guaranteed.
sportsclubstats

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Is it possible (or even valuable enough) to bring Leonard in for the last 2 games??

Team has had a huge issue scoring goals and he could be an X factor.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
One site gives the Caps a 14% chance of getting M3 if they win their next two. WC2 is more likely if they win out, M3 is unlikely but possible. And even if they win out, a playoff spot is not guaranteed.
sportsclubstats
That doesn’t fly. If they win out, they make it?

Who can pass them? Detroit cannot. Pens cannot. Flyers cannot.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
That doesn’t fly. If they win out, they make it?

Who can pass them? Detroit cannot. Pens cannot. Flyers cannot.

They are in if they win both.

Penguins and Red Wings are eliminated if they lose their next game in regulation.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Wouldn’t be the first time Penguins blew it to a team with nothing left to play.

community-donald-glover[1].gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad