Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Yeah he's very much a hockey guy in that sense. I wish he would have some more graphic stuff though. Still good.
Yeah I like his power rankings and his historical stuff. Also enjoy his analysis type stuff on certain teams and situations. I don't think he includes video clips etc because it would demonetise his vids?

I find his daily game reviews kind of boring and repetitive. I would enjoy them better if he was more opinionated and outspoken. Unfortunately he is very focussed on retaining his following by NOT being outspoken or critical of teams and players (he has mentioned this on occassion). I guess it makes sense: if he were to criticise the Leafs he could trigger a huge backlash of Leafs fans shitting all over his channel etc. It is his main source of income so that seems like he is erring on the smart side of caution.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Goodbye and good riddance. This is seriously the worst and most boring (regularly-worn) jersey the Caps have had in a while, and I'm happy to see it gone.

I see they had a sock burning (evidently this is a nautical or boating tradition) to celebrate the first day of spring a few days ago at the Wharf. They need to have a similar event for that jersey just outside Capital One.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
So looking at CapFriendly, BMAC has McMichael and Malenstyn on the current roster as pending RFAs so not sure what the cost may be there.

Based on recent contract resignings, the following raises will take effect next season:
  • Tom Wilson will receive about a 1.4 million raise
  • Protas will receive about a 2.6 million raise
  • Sandin will receive about a 3.2 million raise
That's a total of about 7.2 million dollars

They'll also have 3.9 remaining on Kuznetsov's salary for next season.

You'll have Backstrom continuing in LTIR as well.

With the departure of the likes of Pacioretty and possibly NAK, and expected cap increase, at the end of the day, I'm still not sure what they have available in cap space if they were inclined to try to sign someone July 1.

You look at the current roster and try to see who may be blocking someone from coming up from Hershey and I look at one of the goalies getting replaced by Stevenson. On defense, not sure how HAK or Iorio have looked this season at Hershey, but is it there time to get called up next season. Outside of possibly Leonard if he opts to turn pro, not sure which of the forwards could make the jump.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
So looking at CapFriendly, BMAC has McMichael and Malenstyn on the current roster as pending RFAs so not sure what the cost may be there.

Based on recent contract resignings, the following raises will take effect next season:

With the departure of the likes of Pacioretty and possibly NAK, and expected cap increase, at the end of the day, I'm still not sure what they have available in cap space if they were inclined to try to sign someone July 1.

You look at the current roster and try to see who may be blocking someone from coming up from Hershey and I look at one of the goalies getting replaced by Stevenson. On defense, not sure how HAK or Iorio have looked this season at Hershey, but is it there time to get called up next season. Outside of possibly Leonard if he opts to turn pro, not sure which of the forwards could make the jump.
I seriously think we could see Oshie either fully retire or LTIRetire next year. The Caps instagram had a video of Oshie in the locker room after his 1,000th game and he had a very emotional speech. Part of it was him taking about how he didn’t think he would make it to his 1000th game this year and how his teammates really helped him through injuries this year. You could also see a large foam pad behind him that he is sitting on. I think the guy is in a shit load of pain. He has a beautiful family to think about at this point and I wouldn’t be shocked to see him hang em up after this year.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I seriously think we could see Oshie either fully retire or LTIRetire next year. The Caps instagram had a video of Oshie in the locker room after his 1,000th game and he had a very emotional speech. Part of it was him taking about how he didn’t think he would make it to his 1000th game this year and how his teammates really helped him through injuries this year. You could also see a large foam pad behind him that he is sitting on. I think the guy is in a shit load of pain. He has a beautiful family to think about at this point and I wouldn’t be shocked to see him hang em up after this year.
I totally agree with you, but still the selfish part of me wants him to at least be around the team as much as possible as he's a real positive influence in the locker room and with the young players.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

That gesture says a lot about this team. You hear they have a real good locker room and it says something about it if Pacioretty nixed a deal with the Rangers to stay with the Capitals. I understand his first priority was Florida, but we're talkin about max 3 months with the Rangers and after all he grew up in Connecticut not far from the Rangers and played for one of their youth teams way back when. For him to opt to stay with the Capitals and an iffy playoff situation rather then go to NYR where you're team is in first place in the Metro, tells you something about this team's camaraderie and appeal.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017

The cap situation is healthy next year. With 10 forwards (incl Oshie & Kuzy's dead cap, excl Backstrom's LTIR), 7 defensemen, and 2 G, the cap charge on the books is currently $71.376M.

With a salary cap of $87.7M, that leaves $16.325M of space to allocate to three forwards, two of whom will be McMichael (let's pencil him in at $4M AAV for kicks) and Malenstyn (let's pencil him in at $1.5M AAV).

That gives them the opportunity to sign a top-end guy at $10M AAV if they so choose. Or obviously at any level under that. And they could get another $5.75M of cap space if Oshie LTIRetires.

There's plenty of flexibility next season.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
My offseason fantasy is we trade a big package for Draisaitl (who hates living in EDM btw) and we extend him 8 years x $14M or whatever he wants which will kick in after next year. We can fit him at $8.5M AAV next season easily and then it'll shoot up to ~$14M the following season once Oshie & Kuzy are both off the books.

Draisaitl-Lapierre-Strome-Dowd down the middle next year (I'd trade McMichael as part of the package). Ovie hits 50 and gets the record for sure!

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I totally agree with you, but still the selfish part of me wants him to at least be around the team as much as possible as he's a real positive influence in the locker room and with the young players.
I think the second TJ files papers to retire he is immediately offered a job in some form with the team. I think he’ll be in this organization for a long time and be one of the most beloved figures for Caps fans. I know he didn’t start with us, but I think a lot of people including me think of TJ as a Cap for life.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I think the second TJ files papers to retire he is immediately offered a job in some form with the team. I think he’ll be in this organization for a long time and be one of the most beloved figures for Caps fans. I know he didn’t start with us, but I think a lot of people including me think of TJ as a Cap for life.
After Chimmers interview with Vogs I wish they could lure him back to the DC area as part of the broadcast team he's hilarious.

Since both Green and Alzner have relocated back to the DC area curious we haven't seen one of the them as a guest in pre-game.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
The cap situation is healthy next year. With 10 forwards (incl Oshie & Kuzy's dead cap, excl Backstrom's LTIR), 7 defensemen, and 2 G, the cap charge on the books is currently $71.376M.

With a salary cap of $87.7M, that leaves $16.325M of space to allocate to three forwards, two of whom will be McMichael (let's pencil him in at $4M AAV for kicks) and Malenstyn (let's pencil him in at $1.5M AAV).

That gives them the opportunity to sign a top-end guy at $10M AAV if they so choose. Or obviously at any level under that. And they could get another $5.75M of cap space if Oshie LTIRetires.

There's plenty of flexibility next season.

All well and good, but possibly the situation is even better the following year...

Bear and Milano drop off (or could be moved). It would be more palatable moving Keumper later next year or the following summer (from a good faith Free Agent perspective - gotta have a good reputation there if you want new FAs to sign). So more $$ to work with...

The biggest thing with having patience with big moves/FA signings is you have a better idea how the current utes are doing, and a handle on the next waves of utes. WIll Leonard be a superstar? Are Cristall and Suzy legit, what about Cam Allen, Chesney, Iorio... Funk and any other possible bloomers.

Could sign a big fish without having to trade and by waiting another year any good but squeezed current utes might have higher trade value. Maybe it Strome moves if Lappy and CMM turn out better than most think.

Also might have an idea of if Ovi want to continue on one year deals, and what he would cost because maybe we are in Cup Contention by then for a few more years. And he loves winning.

Lots to be optimistic about, and lots of moving parts. I say continue to do short term FA moves to fill gaps and keep room for development and maximize flexibility. GMBM seems to think along these lines and has a nose for grabbing the right fill ins (generally speaking).

Last edited:

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
In no way should Wilson be the next captain of this team. He continues to act like a f***ing moron.

We are in a playoff race. He’s either too stupid to understand this, or just doesn’t care. Neither is acceptable.

Really disappointing, but unfortunately, unsurprising.

I know I’ll take hate for this, but enough is enough. How f***ing stupid can one player be?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
In no way should Wilson be the next captain of this team. He continues to act like a f***ing moron.

We are in a playoff race. He’s either too stupid to understand this, or just doesn’t care. Neither is acceptable.

Really disappointing, but unfortunately, unsurprising.

I know I’ll take hate for this, but enough is enough. How f***ing stupid can one player be?
He’s a hot head for sure.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Wilson out (addition by subtraction, according to some people) and then Phillips in (addition by pocket-sized/advanced-stats addition, according to the same people). Playoffs, here we come!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad