Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I don't. But I also don't go around bragging about 1994.

1994, the 80s Islanders, or the 60s Habs are all exactly the same to me. I wasn't alive for any of those teams, and I don't need them shoved down my throat.

I want THIS Rangers team to create it's own legacy, not be compared to the 1994 team any time something good happens.

You weren't alive. You just don't get it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't. But I also don't go around bragging about 1994.

1994, the 80s Islanders, or the 60s Habs are all exactly the same to me. I wasn't alive for any of those teams, and I don't need them shoved down my throat.

I want THIS Rangers team to create it's own legacy, not be compared to the 1994 team any time something good happens.

I understand not wanting to compare this team to the 1994 team, but those who remember 1994 have to hold onto it. When you see us win the Cup, you'll understand.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I understand not wanting to compare this team to the 1994 team, but those who remember 1994 have to hold onto it. When you see us win the Cup, you'll understand.

There's holding onto it, and then there's comparing every current team to that one.

Omg! Rangers won the Presidents trophy! You know what happened last time!
Wow, they're playing the Devils in the ECF!
They're playing the Caps in round 2!

I partially blame MSG for shoving 1994 down our throats, most notably Matteau.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There's holding onto it, and then there's comparing every current team to that one.

That shouldn't bother you. People just wanna convince themselves that this is fate somehow, it takes away some of the stress.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
We can't make fun of Isles fans for hanging onto their 80s dynasty and then wax poetic about 1994.

It happened 21 years ago. Its quickly becoming pretty pathetic to keep talking about it.

When something happens that means a lot to you, you generally enjoy reminiscing about it. Saying get over it or anything similar is one of the most misguided things I've read here.

As far as the isles, that's when they're talking about it in a way making it seem like they're so great because of it, even though they haven't been relevant in over 2 decades. But that's not what we're doing at all. Not to mention, we've been the most successful team in the playoffs for the last decade. So that's a bit of a difference too. But regardless, 94 holds a special place in our hearts, and will till we die. And that's expected. And totally fine. Period.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
That shouldn't bother you. People just wanna convince themselves that this is fate somehow, it takes away some of the stress.

It bothers me when I see the Rangers organization itself show us countless 94 highlights, idolize otherwise lackluster players like Matteau, and feed a frenzy that died 21 years ago

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
If you didn't experience 1994 you have no business commenting on it. Hockey was totally different then. The difference between hockey then and now is like the difference between backpacking and car camping.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
When something happens that means a lot to you, you generously enjoy reminiscing about it. Saying get over it or anything similar is one of the most misguided things I've read here.

As far as the isles, that's when they're talking about it in a way making it seem like they're so great because of it, even though they haven't been relevant in over 2 decades. But that's not what we're doing at all. Not to mention, we've been the most successful team in the playoffs for the last decade. So that's a bit of a difference too. But regardless, 94 holds a special place in our hearts, and will till we die. And that's expected. And totally fine. Period.

So I guess we can officially stop talking about 94 in 10 years, when the same amount of time after it passes as there is right now between the 80s Islanders.

I have already explained my stance on the constant remembering and idolizing of the 94 Rangers. But by all means, let's keep comparing every captain to Messier and every offensive defenseman to Leetch and every hard nosed player to Graves.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010

Now tell me, do you think they do that because they're trying to brainwash us? Or maybe rather, because its fans actually Want them to? Hmmm, I wonder.

And I just saw the Matteau greatest garden moments special on msg. Know what? I had chills throughout. I even teared up. I rewound the last 5 minutes probably 20 times. And that was after seeing it just a few weeks before, where I also got chills, and teared up, and rewound it 20 times...

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
This team better get its head out of its collective aaassss. That was a gut wrenching loss. I hope they're togher mentally than I am... After that I feel like it's not gonna happen.

Awful

It's been killing me all day / night

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
So I guess we can officially stop talking about 94 in 10 years, when the same amount of time after it passes as there is right now between the 80s Islanders.

I have already explained my stance on the constant remembering and idolizing of the 94 Rangers. But by all means, let's keep comparing every captain to Messier and every offensive defenseman to Leetch and every hard nosed player to Graves.

Wow. Miss the point much there?

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Now tell me, do you think they do that because they're trying to brainwash us? Or maybe rather, because its fans actually Want them to? Hmmm, I wonder.

And I just saw the Matteau greatest garden moments special on msg. Know what? I had chills throughout. I even teared up. I rewound the last 5 minutes probably 20 times. And that was after seeing it just a few weeks before, where I also got chills, and teared up, and rewound it 20 times...
I have teared up watching the Matteau goal too. Doesn't mean I'm going to continue living in the past.

I get it. 94 was very special. A long drought and the team was the best team all season long. I have watched the 94 documentary. But I don't need every single Rangers team to be compared to that one.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
I have teared up watching the Matteau goal too. Doesn't mean I'm going to continue living in the past.

I get it. 94 was very special. A long drought and the team was the best team all season long. I have watched the 94 documentary. But I don't need every single Rangers team to be compared to that one.

I dunno, I gotta say, I really don't see players compared to them all that often at all actually. But even still, can't for the life of me understand why you wouldn't compare players to your historical best? I mean, that's kinda just how it naturally works...

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010

And ohhhh, fair enough. You saw the documentary and didn't live through it. Gotcha. No, no you don't get it then. A documentary can't possibly do that for you. Living it is a completely different story. Not surprising at all that you don't understand then.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I dunno, I gotta say, I really don't see players compared to them all that often at all actually. But even still, can't for the life of me understand why you wouldn't compare players to your historical best? I mean, that's kinda just how it naturally works...

The players I get. Although you're setting yourself up for disappointment when Michael Del Zotto starts getting compared to Brian Leetch in his rookie year.

But why would you compare entire teams when they're nothing alike? We win the PT this year, doesn't mean that the 1994 comparisons have to go flowing in.

Someone here said that Hockey back then was nothing like it is now. Doesn't it then make sense that the teams are nothing like each other too and therefore shouldn't be compared to each other?

Jan 8, 2012
NY
And ohhhh, fair enough. You saw the documentary and didn't live through it. Gotcha. No, no you don't get it then. A documentary can't possibly do that for you. Living it is a completely different story. Not surprising at all that you don't understand then.

Sorry. I'll blame my parents for not meeting and conceiving me earlier. Clearly that was the real issue.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Likely a "mental" maintenance day. I'm sure that McDonagh is blaming himself for the loss (he had a rough night and was more at fault last night than Boyle, Miller or Stepan on the game winning goal) and AV probably told him to take the day off.

Maybe he wanted to spend the day with Zucc, and get some good hobit juju to rub off onto him.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
A few things:

we played horribly. I was very upset. SMH Boyle McD and entire team. We should have played better. I expect a better game tomorrow. Much cleaner... Alright...

1994 was a great year for NYR hockey and fans. It is still one of if not the most storied years for us and the league in cup run category. Players were fantastic.However... bashing people because they think that it's time to move on forward to seeing a current cup... and calling them children and stupid... that's sad. Just because people didn't see it live doesn't mean they can't feel and experience and appreciate it. Camping in an RV vs tents or whatever? What the ****? The road to the SCF is always difficult no matter what. Cut this team some slack. No harm in reminiscing but pretty much shoving it in every orifice every instance possible drowns out the current progression of the team and org... that's not okay.

Damned teeny boppers wanting to progress!

Also, this is the GOAT Ranger.
lundqvist1.jpg

Last edited:

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
A few things:

we played horribly. I was very upset. SMH Boyle McD and entire team. We should have played better. I expect a better game tomorrow. Much cleaner... Alright...

1994 was a great year for NYR hockey and fans. It is still one of if not the most storied years for us and the league in cup run category. Players were fantastic.However... bashing people because they think that it's time to move on forward to seeing a current cup... and calling them children and stupid... that's sad. Just because people didn't see it live doesn't mean they can't feel and experience and appreciate it. Camping in an RV vs tents or whatever? What the ****? The road to the SCF is always difficult no matter what. Cut this team some slack.

Damned teeny boppers wanting to progress!
With all due respect, you clearly missed quite a few points completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad