Post-Game Talk: caps @ Rangers - 3/30/2021

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Skjei is a more effective player in Carolina. Rod uses him in any situation. He is still prone to the glaring mistake, but has been pretty solid for the Canes.

In Carolina, Skjel is surrounded by an elite team with a nice shot at taking the Cup.

That helps.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
This is incoherent.

The only thing (that we already knew) apparent is that you hate Quinn.

Why is it incoherent exactly? People constantly bitch about how he dishes out playing time and his constant line juggling is ridiculous. This team comes out flat more often than not in my opinion. Who's job is it to have them prepared to play? They were run over the first 10 minutes last night and the only reason they weren't down 4 goals was Igor. It's a constant theme with this team, not just last night. I don't like Quinn and this team will never reach the next level with him behind the bench.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
When the Caps recently beat the Rangers twice on Ovechkin goals, I guess the Washington coach was an idiot.

The Rangers just beat the best team in the league, but let's try and find some negatives to further the agenda.
The team played well both previous games and split.

We look like shit most of this game but were bailed out by great individual performances.

If you're happy with how the team looked, great for you

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
In Carolina, Skjel is surrounded by an elite team with a nice shot at taking the Cup.

That helps.
If we had Brindamour and they had Quinn, it'd be the other way around.

An elite team. I wonder how they are formed?... as opposed to a group of individuals

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Joe Ranger Fan 1960

Jan 25, 2021
Jersey
If we had Brindamour and they had Quinn, it'd be the other way around.

An elite team. I wonder how they are formed?... as opposed to a group of individuals

Having enough confidence to name a captain that holds players accountable is a good start. It completes the chain of command that is inherent within cup winning squads. That's the rudder this team is missing, IMO. They play well. Now they need someone they need to win for. A guy wearing the sweater who you refuse to let down.

Reactions: Larrybiv

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Having enough confidence to name a captain that holds players accountable is a good start. It completes the chain of command that is inherent within cup winning squads. That's the rudder this team is missing, IMO. They play well. Now they need someone they need to win for. A guy wearing the sweater who you refuse to let down.
Our Vets are really not responding well. The two guys who were the clear cut favorites, seem disinterested at times.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Last night was another example of the Rangers showing they can explode on teams—even the best teams. No—we’re not all that consistent and yes some of our kids have to get up to speed but the signs are there that in the next few years and maybe as soon as next year this is going to be one hell of a team. Team defense has taken a big step forward this year. Fox is knocking on the door of elite defenseman and Miller has had an excellent rookie year. Our positive goal differential is + 18 and there are very good playoff bound teams that aren’t doing that. If we’d had better goaltending at the start and if Mika had come out of the gate putting up numbers we for sure would be playoff bound.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The team played well both previous games and split.

We look like shit most of this game but were bailed out by great individual performances.

If you're happy with how the team looked, great for you

I like winning.

You like how the team looks.

Great for you.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You believe if Quinn and Brindamour switched positions, the results of the teams would be reversed is one of the worst takes I've ever read on this board.
:laugh: Ok..

So, you think Carolina is an elite team with Quinn?

We've been an average team with great talent. We have underachieved.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I'm not the biggest Quinn fan in the world, but the team would not be elite with another coach. They are inconsistent because they are very young. Their 3rd line is a 19 year old, 21 year old, and 23 year old. They have a 20 year old on the 2nd line. Their defense is a 21 year old rookie on the 2nd pair, a top pairing of 23 year olds, and another 23 year old on their 3rd pairing. Seven out of the 13 players that are in important spots (Top 9 forwards and top 4 defense) are 23 or under. On top of all of that, they are looking to incorporate another 21 year old rookie up front and we're asking for even more rookies to come up and take spots (Barron, Reunanen) even if those are for guys like Howden and Hajek.

They've also been without their #1 goalie at times this season, their #2 has been pretty bad recently, so they have relied upon a 3rd string goalie that hasn't played in the NHL before this season in a while. Add on every single other thing that has happened this season, and I'm sure most teams would be in the spot the team currently is, possibly worse, and they are the youngest team in the league.

As for last night, they really turned it on for the last 50 minutes. Kakko's game is rising to a level where he is going to score more. You can just see it happening. If Fox isn't in the discussion as a top 5 D in the league, he's awfully close. Just an unbelievable player that controls the game when on the ice. I think by this time next season, Fox is going to be with Miller and it has the chance to be the most dynamic pairing in the league. Panarin continues to show he is the best winger in the league currently. Shesterkin is the guy moving forward, has been ever since he signed his ELC. There is no debating who has the net for this team.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
:laugh: Ok..

So, you think Carolina is an elite team with Quinn?

We've been an average team with great talent. We have underachieved.

Considering these mitigating factors:

Our PP QB and top point producer can't be a good boy and gets kicked off the team.

Our 1C played like Brett Howden for the first 21 games or so.

Chytil lost over a month of time which hurt our center depth (combined with previous point).

Panarin leave of absence.

Igor's groin and playing a 3rd string goalie because the backup's head is on Mars.

The hodge podge defense we had to play for a few games when Trouba broke his hand and Covid/small injuries hit in the same 2 week span.

Entire coaching staff going down an hour before the game and for over a week.

This team has shown a ton of resilience and has overachieved based on the mitigating factors. Just compare our situation this year and results to Calgary, Vancouver, Dallas.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
our bottom 6 is full of guys that are perfectly useful fill ins, but not regulars on good teams.

apart from the kids, I would keep Blackwell, and Gauthier who has shown flashes. I like DiGi, probably more than most but he is expendable. Goodbye to Howden and Rooney, who is the color gray if it played hockey

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I'm not the biggest Quinn fan in the world, but the team would not be elite with another coach. They are inconsistent because they are very young. Their 3rd line is a 19 year old, 21 year old, and 23 year old. They have a 20 year old on the 2nd line. Their defense is a 21 year old rookie on the 2nd pair, a top pairing of 23 year olds, and another 23 year old on their 3rd pairing. Seven out of the 13 players that are in important spots (Top 9 forwards and top 4 defense) are 23 or under. On top of all of that, they are looking to incorporate another 21 year old rookie up front and we're asking for even more rookies to come up and take spots (Barron, Reunanen) even if those are for guys like Howden and Hajek.

They've also been without their #1 goalie at times this season, their #2 has been pretty bad recently, so they have relied upon a 3rd string goalie that hasn't played in the NHL before this season in a while. Add on every single other thing that has happened this season, and I'm sure most teams would be in the spot the team currently is, possibly worse, and they are the youngest team in the league.

As for last night, they really turned it on for the last 50 minutes. Kakko's game is rising to a level where he is going to score more. You can just see it happening. If Fox isn't in the discussion as a top 5 D in the league, he's awfully close. Just an unbelievable player that controls the game when on the ice. I think by this time next season, Fox is going to be with Miller and it has the chance to be the most dynamic pairing in the league. Panarin continues to show he is the best winger in the league currently. Shesterkin is the guy moving forward, has been ever since he signed his ELC. There is no debating who has the net for this team.

It would be tough to convince me to separate Fox and Lindgren

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
our bottom 6 is full of guys that are perfectly useful fill ins, but not regulars on good teams.

apart from the kids, I would keep Blackwell, and Gauthier who has shown flashes. I like DiGi, probably more than most but he is expendable. Goodbye to Howden and Rooney, who is the color gray if it played hockey
I agree with most of this. Blackwell is ineffective in a defense first role and he is not good enough offensively to be in any other role on this team after this year. He goes too. The team will decide between Rooney, Howden and Barron for 4C.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Last night was another example of the Rangers showing they can explode on teams—even the best teams. No—we’re not all that consistent and yes some of our kids have to get up to speed but the signs are there that in the next few years and maybe as soon as next year this is going to be one hell of a team. Team defense has taken a big step forward this year. Fox is knocking on the door of elite defenseman and Miller has had an excellent rookie year. Our positive goal differential is + 18 and there are very good playoff bound teams that aren’t doing that. If we’d had better goaltending at the start and if Mika had come out of the gate putting up numbers we for sure would be playoff bound.

All good points. Injuries and Panarin's absence also played a big role this year. Shesty, Panarin, Trouba, Kakko, and Chytil all missed significant time. These guys are key to the teams success. That's tough to overcome especially for a team that isn't very deep to begin with, the youngest in the league, and only a 56 game season. They just need to stay the course and continue adding depth. Next year I see Lundkvist and Barron on the team, possibly even Schneider or Robertson. This is still a work in progress. I also believe that once this team is truly ready to compete for the cup Quinn will not be behind the bench.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Imagine if this team could start a game strong...

Washington went up 2-0 and then turtled the whole game until they started losing. I would be so pissed if i were a Caps fan. Igor is a f***ing beast, i just wish the team would give him an easy game once, he deserves a shutout on his resume.

Panarin woke up big time in the 3rd after hibernating for the past week.

Kreider very quiet lately...

Zib was okay but he needs to heat up again.

2nd time this season Smith hit Panarin for the long breakaway.
I will say this. Quinn is at least not juggling lines like he’s changing his underwear. It’s allowing the players to get more aware of each other and how their line mates play

Reactions: CLW and egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad