Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Rangers: 05/03/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Another moment that pissed me off was later in the game that was already lost after Shesty makes and save and holds for the whistle, Hathaway gets essentially on top of him and stays there. No one comes near...I believe at least Jones was in the vicinity. (but I'll give him a pass for now)

Top to bottom the Caps team know they can all chase us around the rink, part 2 coming up lol

It was Miller, I noticed that also.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I’m all for keeping fighting in hockey; in fact vehemently against efforts to remove it, but saying we have to get some goons to go toe to toe with Wilson is just crazy.

I know Wilson has a history of this shit but I’m not intimately familiar with every one of his incidents, but this should be a rest of season banishment and a lifetime exile if it happens again for him.

The league has to fix this problem, not the Rangers. It detracts from the game that teams would have to employ 2-3 enforcers who aren’t talented enough to do anything except protect your stars. It’s stupid and bad for the skill level of the game and thus the game overall. And again, I say this while also saying pure hockey “fights,” ie a consensual dropping of the gloves to give your team an energy jolt should be enshrined in the North American hockey Constitution.

Wilson f***ing attacked a guy and head punched him while he was down, then tried to slam another guy face first down into the ice. That’s not dropping the gloves, it’s acting like an out of control animal.

Again, this is a problem the league needs to fix, not the Rangers by going out and getting a Joey Kocur.

I think it's been established that none of us want goons. However on the bolded, you couldn't have hit the nail any better.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This is how you end up drafting McIlrath over Tarasenko and Fowler.

I had the same thought. This feels identical to the Gaborik incident.

Team toughness really needs to be addressed, but not at the top of the draft at the expense of an actually useful player.

Wilson needs to be sent to a deserted island to live with Tom Hanks.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Don't post too much these days (or really, ever), so it takes an incredibly spectacular play or monumentally stupid act for me to even bother logging in.

Wilson should be banned from so much as sniffing a skate boot or jock strap for the rest of his pathetic, miserable life, and I've said as much for three seasons.

If the NHL can't bring themselves to give that clown a suspension longer than his quite recent 20 game "mea culpa, I've learned my lesson and the league is targeting me unfairly!" whine-fest, I'm probably done with this sport at the pro level.

And, no. Having a Colton Orr, a Bob Probert, or Todd Bertuzzi on the team won't deter this psychopath. Deterance is, and always has been a myth of emotional response ridden fans. Everyone talks about those guys as gods, then remark how brutal and cheap-shotty the NHL used to be not 30 years ago. Proof enough.

Finally, what a first-class clown organization those idiots in Washington are running. Criticizing the league for the most notorious cheap shot artist in the league getting suspended (again). Celebrating "violence" publicly, and not only employing that psycho, but deciding his play style is what you desire by naming him a lettered "leader" on the team... I was happy that OV finally got a Cup, but now I'd rather the Islanders and Devils win the next 10 combined than have that player and his equally culpable employer have their names engraved on near-sacred hardware.

/Rant.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Any word on a hearing with the league? Bettman isn't going to be happy when this story starts getting discussed by media types that don't usually cover hockey but will be very loud in sharing their opinions when it's something that makes the league look bad like this does.

Reactions: haveandare

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
348465D3-F7B1-4AFB-BBF4-8A3DC380AEA6.jpeg

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Last thoughts (as if anyone cares :laugh: ):

I see many people suggesting the penalty box flex is cringe- and suspension-worthy. If they are joking, they shouldn't be. It shows psychopathic intent and no remorse. For all his crying about being changed and targeted, this neanderthal clearly does not understand the boundaries between hard hockey and illegal/dangerous play.

And can we all talk more about the Laf / Kakko magic? Give us that a few dozen times a season for 15 years, please. And for good measure, next time they beat the Caps in the playoffs, have Laf do the Kuznetsov idiotic bird and Kakko do the flex towards their bench. Panarin and Buch can fight over who blows them a kiss vs. who does the high-leg kick while waving "bye."

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Does Tom Wilson deserve to be punished by the league. Hell yes. Do I care? No. What happened on the ice tonight was a MASSIVE FAILURE in leadership. The kind that destroys teams. That cannot happen without a bigger retaliation. I get keeping your cool or whatever, but the season is over. Brendan Smith needed to be sent out against Tom Wilson and he needed to send a message. And if not Wilson, then Backstrom or Carlson or someone. A message needed to be sent. A loud one. And for nothing to be done is beyond the pail. It's on the vet leaders. It's on guys like Miller who need to show up and use their size. It's on David Quinn. What a massive massive massive shitshow. It's like when Thomas Sandstrom got cross-checked by Dave Brown. It's up there. The guy didn't even face a punch or anything. It's totally demoralizing.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Does Tom Wilson deserve to be punished by the league. Hell yes. Do I care? No. What happened on the ice tonight was a MASSIVE FAILURE in leadership. The kind that destroys teams. That cannot happen without a bigger retaliation. I get keeping your cool or whatever, but the season is over. Brendan Smith needed to be sent out against Tom Wilson and he needed to send a message. And if not Wilson, then Backstrom or Carlson or someone. A message needed to be sent. A loud one. And for nothing to be done is beyond the pail. It's on the vet leaders. It's on guys like Miller who need to show up and use their size. It's on David Quinn. What a massive massive massive shitshow. It's like when Thomas Sandstrom got cross-checked by Dave Brown. It's up there. The guy didn't even face a punch or anything. It's totally demoralizing.

Brendan Smith is a 32 year old with no history of suspensions or violent play,doesn't have the skill to keep up with/catch Backstrom and doesn't even know if he has a job beyond June. What 'message' are we really expecting him to send, and why is he going to send it if he thinks it will jeopardize his career?

I get the desire to retribution, I really do, but it's not happening in any meaningful way. The players can't police this themselves without horrendous consequences, the issue here is that you have a player working outside of how the League expects to the rules to be followed. Suspension where meant to be the ultimate deterrent but for some people it clearly doesn't work. It's up to them to fix the rules

Reactions: JCProdigy

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Screw it: I've logged in and so now you all have to pay.

What does it say about this team and "leadership" that there was a more swift and severe reaction to the own-team, TDA incident than the literally season-ending Tom Wilson BS?

Don't go get a Probert or an (Colton) Orr,or three for the fourth line for "toughness." Go get a damn leadership group that can play hockey. If this group doesn't have one, make changes, and do it now before it's "we weren't hard enough to play against" 3-year-in-a-row playoff series exits. I'm not giving up the kids for it, but I heard plenty of Kreider for Captain talk. Sorry but if that is our answer to "leader," this ship is sunk before they even make the playoffs.

Lord knows I never thought I'd say this: but where is the Cally, Dubinksy player for this version of the roster? (No, I don't miss them, those contracts or end of careers).

Trueblue30

Jan 31, 2009
Brendan Smith is a 32 year old with no history of suspensions or violent play,doesn't have the skill to keep up with/catch Backstrom and doesn't even know if he has a job beyond June. What 'message' are we really expecting him to send, and why is he going to send it if he thinks it will jeopardize his career?

I get the desire to retribution, I really do, but it's not happening in any meaningful way. The players can't police this themselves without horrendous consequences, the issue here is that you have a player working outside of how the League expects to the rules to be followed. Suspension where meant to be the ultimate deterrent but for some people it clearly doesn't work. It's up to them to fix the rules

spear works. Typically that results in just a fine so we can just have a bunch of players spear him. Slash to the hands also works as it typically doesn’t result in a suspension, probably at most a 5 minute major.

Reactions: nyrleetch

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Sabres scoring 4 and beating the Islanders just shows how badly out coached and completely helpless Quinn is. We could play the Islanders for another 120 minutes and probably not score a goal still.

Nope the Islanders are an elite unbeatable force that no mere mortal can figure out who to even score a goal against. Quinn is not to blame!

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
If Tom Wilson steppes on the ice Wednesday night Quinn should turn the game into a gong show.

I sincerely hope they don't. The Caps are "built" for that game. Just like the Islanders. Just like the last rendition (pre-bottom-feeder) Kings. "Playoff hockey." As someone who's competitive playing career was literally ended by eye-for-an-eye hockey, and who knows what CTE fears lie around the corner (I was no saint myself, and contributed wildly to the antics in my day), this is no way to play hockey.

I'm still hopeful that this way of thinking about "playoff hockey" dies the death it's been on for years. I watched the Penguins skate away with a Cup because the Blues cheap-shot the Predators 4 best centers into IR and future years of relative uselessness to "tuff" their way through a superior team on talent.

Call it soft, call it "young/new" hockey (regardless of that ass on the main board suggesting my 28 year old wife married a grandpa), whatever. Physical is one thing. The answer to Tom Wilson isn't bringing back more shitty hockey players who happened to be bigger psychotic idiots than Wilson. The answer to Wilson is to BAN WILSON. Same for any idiot that thinks that BS "style" is "hockey" rather than Gladiator on Ice.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
spear works. Typically that results in just a fine so we can just have a bunch of players spear him. Slash to the hands also works as it typically doesn’t result in a suspension, probably at most a 5 minute major.

Yeah that's fair enough. But Smith slashes Backstrom's hand, gets called for 5, but doesn't do any real damage to him, are we satisfied? Has honour been restored? And do we really think Wilson isn't gunning for Panarin again? So whats the end game; both sides fielding AHL squads because everyone else is injured or suspended?

Reactions: CLW

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I sincerely hope they don't. The Caps are "built" for that game. Just like the Islanders. Just like the last rendition (pre-bottom-feeder) Kings. "Playoff hockey." As someone who's competitive playing career was literally ended by eye-for-an-eye hockey, and who knows what CTE fears lie around the corner (I was no saint myself, and contributed wildly to the antics in my day), this is no way to play hockey.

I'm still hopeful that this way of thinking about "playoff hockey" dies the death it's been on for years. I watched the Penguins skate away with a Cup because the Blues cheap-shot the Predators 4 best centers into IR and future years of relative uselessness to "tuff" their way through a superior team on talent.

Call it soft, call it "young/new" hockey (regardless of that ass on the main board suggesting my 28 year old wife married a grandpa), whatever. Physical is one thing. The answer to Tom Wilson isn't bringing back more shitty hockey players who happened to be bigger psychotic idiots than Wilson. The answer to Wilson is to BAN WILSON. Same for any idiot that thinks that BS "style" is "hockey" rather than Gladiator on Ice.

This is what really gets me about hockey. It's all about "class" but is the dirtiest sport imaginable and fans actually cheer it on.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
What a disgusting play by Tom Wilson. He should be kicked out the NHL. I am so angry that if I expressed what I really would do if I was on the ice at that time, I would get banned from this forum.

I hope Buchnevich and Panarin are not seriously hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad