Post-Game Talk: caps @ rags 3:00PM 3/29/15 | Caps beat the refs and the rags. 5-2. 2 points

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I think there is some confusion about why I mentioned Larry Murphy.

I wasn't saying Green = Murphy, or that Green is future HHOF'er. I was commenting on the fact that there have always been, and will always be, whipping boys.

One commenter said something to the effect of, 'When Green leaves, Carlson will be the new whipping boy.'

And that may very well be, since whipping boys are often very good players, e.g. Murphy, Green, and McDonagh in NYC. (Ranger fan hatred of McDonagh is not a new or temporary thing, btw; all year he has been object of scorn and derision on Rags board).

What causes a player to become fan target is an interesting question.

As I said elsewhere, I do see some Murphy & Green-like qualities in Carlson. Namely, he is very talented, but he also comes across sometimes as unfocused or casual with the puck. So basically yes, I can see him winding up as a fan target.

Finally, I was trying to point out that fans make up their mind about a player, and it takes on a momentum of its own. So, while outsiders looking at the McDonagh situation, for example, can see that he is, on balance, a wonderful player and a great asset, fans of his own team may be very hard on him.

That's all.

I wasn't trying to enter the Mike Green fray at all. I was talking about whipping boys generally.

Right on and on point with everything.

But...I will say this...to the people say "Its rediculous to compare Green to Murphy! Murphy was a HOFer!!!"

CLEARLY they did not watch him back then!!! haahaha

Green has accomplished a heckuva lot more at the same points in their career.

Murphy NEVER hit, was completely lost in his own zone and was a turnover machine at times. Think of a slower and less physical Green but even worse since he had Stevens/Langway to cover up for his mistakes where Green has had Schultz and Shamo.

Hindsight is 20/20

But back to the point....yes this is about the whipping boy syndrome. Carlson is next in line.

The teams best offensive Dman is usually a prime target.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad