Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Leafs | Leafs win 3-2!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Are we good?

I still can't figure it out though.

If Reims can keep playing well, and "depth" scorers like JVR, Kadri, and Frattin can keep being productive, then we might be pretty good.

Remember, none of JVR, Kadri, or Frattin started the year in our top-6 forwards. That is some pretty talented scoring depth there.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If Reims can keep playing well, and "depth" scorers like JVR, Kadri, and Frattin can keep being productive, then we might be pretty good.

Remember, none of JVR, Kadri, or Frattin started the year in our top-6 forwards. That is some pretty talented scoring depth there.

Kind of like we saw with the Flyers a couple years ago, where the third line contributed offensively.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
kind of like we should have seen with the Leafs the last few years, but decided instead to try to build "shutdown 3rd lines" out of guys like Brent, Wallin, Sjostrom, Primeau, Armstrong, Mayers, etc.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Had a different perspective last night sitting right behind the Caps bench instead of my normal 2nd last row Purple.

Couple things stood out.

Awful seats. Between Oates, Hunter, Hunter's nose, the Trainer and Players standing up I watched most of the game on the screen.

Leaf bench was far more vocal. Caps seemed like a Team going downhill fast while the Leafs seemed like a Team on the rise.

Ovechkin rarely speaks to anyone on the bench. Riberio rarely shut up but it didn't seem like anyone was listening to him.

Phaneuf went up and down the bench during the last tv timeout to rally the troops for the last few minutes. He had their attention.

Kessel and Reimer seem really popular. That goofy grin never left Reimers face.

Much more a buzz in the crowd than there normally is up top. Never once heard anyone say "sit down" or "quiet". All the suits around me had their ties removed and were enjoying the game.

Fans are much more knowledgeable up top, you don't hear as many stupid comments but at least they were talking about the game not doing business. Comment of the night, "Kessel uses a 70 flex like my kid because he's not very strong."

I understand better why the seats are empty to start the period. There is no warning given in the lounges(at least the one I was in). We looked up at the tv and realized the puck was being dropped.

I took a few pictures but not sure how to post them.

It was an experience to sit so close but I look forward to Monday when I can sit back in my regular seats.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Had a different perspective last night sitting right behind the Caps bench instead of my normal 2nd last row Purple.

Couple things stood out.

Awful seats. Between Oates, Hunter, Hunter's nose, the Trainer and Players standing up I watched most of the game on the screen.

Leaf bench was far more vocal. Caps seemed like a Team going downhill fast while the Leafs seemed like a Team on the rise.

Ovechkin rarely speaks to anyone on the bench. Riberio rarely shut up but it didn't seem like anyone was listening to him.

Phaneuf went up and down the bench during the last tv timeout to rally the troops for the last few minutes. He had their attention.

Much more a buzz in the crowd than there normally is up top. Never once heard anyone say "sit down" or "quiet". All the suits around me had their ties removed and were enjoying the game.

Fans are much more knowledgeable up top, you don't hear as many stupid comments but at least they were talking about the game not doing business. Comment of the night, "Kessel uses a 70 flex like my kid because he's not very strong."

I understand better why the seats are empty to start the period. There is no warning given in the lounges(at least the one I was in). We looked up at the tv and realized the puck was being dropped.

It was an experience to sit so close but I look forward to Monday when I can sit back in my regular seats.

Thanks for the report.

Maybe he son uses that stick because he isn't very strong.

As far as when the puck drops, isn't the intermission the same length every game? :sarcasm:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Thanks for the report.

Maybe he son uses that stick because he isn't very strong.

As far as when the puck drops, isn't the intermission the same length every game? :sarcasm:

Yes, 17 mins.

MajorityRules*

Couple things stood out.

Thanks for the report but that can't be right.

I've been told by many experts here that Phaneuf is not a good captain and nobody listens to him and that nobody likes Kessel.:sarcasm:

It's amazing how uninterested Ovechkin looks these days. Even when he scored he seemed bored. Far cry from his over the top celebrations.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Thanks for the report but that can't be right.

I've been told by many experts here that Phaneuf is not a good captain and nobody listens to him and that nobody likes Kessel.:sarcasm:

It's amazing how uninterested Ovechkin looks these days. Even when he scored he seemed bored. Far cry from his over the top celebrations.

I'll predict Kessel will be a Leaf longer than Ovechkin will be a Cap.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

Couple things stood out.

Awesome intel ACC! Thanks for the headsup.

However Phaneuf being liked and a leader? Kessel not hated by the team. No you must be joshing. :sarcasm:

I love it and glad to hear it :D

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Funny how ever since Ovi took that pic of kessel he has scored the exact same number of goals as him (last 2 seasons). this year it might be close too. :laugh:

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA

Couple things stood out.

that is bad considering the cost of tickets that you can hardly see the game
and all you might remember is seeing tim hunters big ugly nose

good it sounds like the leafs are hungry

sounds like an odd group

attachments to the right of the white smiley face

that was nice thx
seeing i never go to the games :laugh:

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Why didn't anyone engage Erskine after he flattened Kessel? Okay I know Ersk is a beast, and no one on the ice at the time probably wanted any part of him, but Orr could have obliged sometime later in the game.

I hear he has the flu, but we needed someone to step up - they just can't take runs at our elite players.

Yeah, we won, but it would have been nice to see someone answer the bell even if they got creamed.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Why didn't anyone engage Erskine after he flattened Kessel? Okay I know Ersk is a beast, and no one on the ice at the time probably wanted any part of him, but Orr could have obliged sometime later in the game.

I hear he has the flu, but we needed someone to step up - they just can't take runs at our elite players.

Yeah, we won, but it would have been nice to see someone answer the bell even if they got creamed.

Orr went after him multiple times, and especially his first shift on, but Erksine wouldn't go him.

Specifically, on his first shift, the puck deflected into the screen and Orr had a nice hold on Erksines jersey trying to get him to answer, but Erskine wouldn't do it.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Awesome intel ACC! Thanks for the headsup.

However Phaneuf being liked and a leader? Kessel not hated by the team. No you must be joshing. :sarcasm:

I love it and glad to hear it :D

They may be disliked, I'm not sure. It's just the impression I got from the interaction on the bench after shifts, during timeouts.

Orr and Erskine had a couple chats during the game, not sure why nothing came of it.

Syn3rgetic

Boats the Burn
Apr 10, 2010
Markham
Two notes Feb 1st: Kostka, FratPack.

1.) Kostka's gotta get off the PP. He got an assist but otherwise he had an awful time on the other 6 trillion PPs tonight.

2.) Frat pack is using speed and skill to pressure the Capital defense. I was on the camp wanting to trade Kadri (not because of his play, but because I thought the Leafs ruined his confidence/development) but I'm really rooting for him every night now. I've always loved Frattin's game because he is a warrior. He really doesn't give a flying ***** who's in front of him. If he had more size he'd be a bonafide power forward. I think if you overcome adversity you tend to not take for granted anymore. I'm loving his energy and game. He's not without his flaws, he let Ribeiro out muscle him, granted Ribiero is a pretty good player.

That's it for my two cents. Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Orr went after him multiple times, and especially his first shift on, but Erksine wouldn't go him.

Specifically, on his first shift, the puck deflected into the screen and Orr had a nice hold on Erksines jersey trying to get him to answer, but Erskine wouldn't do it.

Thanks.. either missed it, or they didn't show Orr asking Erskine to dance on the Sportsnet feed.

Good to hear.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

Couple things stood out.

Thanks for this, ACC. For the pictures, unless you have some ancient phone, just connect the phone to your computer, open up imgur.com, upload the files and post the links.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad