Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Jackets Episode III: Revenge of the Holtbeast 7:07 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Yep, if Burakovsky and Johansson keep playing well, we solve the 3C problem without losing much at 2LW. It's still obviously very early, but I don't see any team beating us in a bo7 series if it happens and we're healthy.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
New Vasyuki mode on...

I mean I'm waiting for Burakovsky-Backstrom-Johansson line for Sweden :D How do you like that? Low-end 1st line for National team, I understand. But they will be better around 2018.

Also, I hope Kuzy can push Backstrom a bit further. Backstrom is often playing safe and rarely makes those cross ice passes in PP, because he knows that becomes the mistake. I'm sure Nicky can do those passes Kuzy does but refuses to do them until some brilliant opening occurs.

Now he has to defend his 1C status and I feel he's using more tricks from his arsenal (both PP and ES). Risky passing, shooting.

Both of them are on pace to score around 30 goals (a little less). That's unheard of for Caps, right?

PS: Also, Williams, Johansson, Oshie and even Chimera are there with them (13-16 goals for now).

PPS: Ovi scores more from left circle @ PP lately. And he's obviously scores more "other goals", so he has a fat chance to get to 50.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Because it's high-risk, with multiple sticks/bodies in the way, and a potential 2-on-1 the other way... I am guessing Backstrom doesn't like the odds. Kuzya says to hell with the odds :) Hard to say what is the right balance, Kuznetsov tends to be a bit over-ambitious on the PP, Backstrom maybe a bit too conservative.

572454f1bf5775862b8e02484ff680a0.jpg

Anyone with skills can do smth like that with Kuzya?

I think he (Bura) is the last piece of the puzzle. If he breaks out in the playoffs by establishing himself as a legit top 6 player like Kuzy last year, we'll be damn near unstoppable.

Monster Bura for next 10 years. Yep, that's what we need till someone gets his 900th goal.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't see Orpik being able to handle those kinds of minutes either. Combine both of them coming off significant injuries and some depth options would be nice.

Chicago acquired Kimmo at the TDL too and without both him and Rosival they would have had to roll with Cumiskey and Rundblad for basically the entire playoffs

I agree with what you're saying but not the example. Kimmo was a liability for Chicago in the playoffs. If I'm not mistaken, he was scratched a few games.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The one timer won't work, but we have found 10000 other options. The backdoor tap in pass by Kuzy, the one touch play to Oshie, Backstrom and Kuznetsov actually shooting the puck themselves, the Niskanen/Orlov/Carlson bomb and the stuff attempt by Mojo.

By the way, Ovi scored his first PP one timer of the season tonight.

OK I concede!

But, don't forget we won't be getting any calls :)

I am thrilled our PP has diversified. Hopefully the PKers are going to be a hot mess when they try to be ultra aggressive in the loffs now that we are not a 1 trick pony. Remember our old 2nd tricks, Brouwer shanking one, or Laich walking out of the corner and trying a stuffer.

Kuz is very dynamic and should be on PP1 if it falters in the loffs, and we should be practicing him on 1 now. Nick and MJ will understand.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
that's right. the caps will get one maybe two pp's per game in the playoffs. the other side of that is that the caps wont take more than one or two penalties which means now more minor penalties for being Tom Wilson.

that will have its own effect in favor of the capitals

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yep, if Burakovsky and Johansson keep playing well, we solve the 3C problem without losing much at 2LW. It's still obviously very early, but I don't see any team beating us in a bo7 series if it happens and we're healthy.

they are the caps. you don't see it coming until they choke away one elimination game. don't set yourself up like that. really. just watch the games as they go by and enjoy the good one's. don't set up expectations like that.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
Haven't been able to watch the past two games due to work but has Richards continued to look good?
He's looked pretty darn good actually. I don't think anyone's complaining about him. Great hockey IQ, great hits, great board battles, he's almost gotten a few goals, was actually SUPERclose to getting one, he has a few assists already.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Starting to think that this team might not even need a forward upgrade if they are fully healthy at the TDL. Burakovsky has been ridiculously good since moving to that 2nd line.

That being said, i want D addition, if not for nothing else then atleast for the depth. Tonight showed well as to why. Stanton wasn't good, but the main reason isn't on the Caps. Look at Columbus. Dominated the 1st period, game fully on their hands and then their AHL-level bottom-pairing strikes gold for Caps. Bad pinch by Prout leads to 1st goal. Brutal turnover by Falk leads to the 2nd goal. Falk can't handle Johansson in the corner and takes a double-minor. 2 PP goals and it's a game over.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
He's looked pretty darn good actually. I don't think anyone's complaining about him. Great hockey IQ, great hits, great board battles, he's almost gotten a few goals, was actually SUPERclose to getting one, he has a few assists already.
No, not yet.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Pretty good for Chimmer he is getting about 6 minutes of ice time per game less then Osh

That might help in the summer too if both Caps and Oshie's agent are willing to consider extension early. If he really wants to stay, rather than play for that big money next contract, then i don't think that contract would look unreasonable.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
I like this with Burakovsky in the top 6 and Mojo playing solid at 3C. When Beagle comes back we'd be damn solid down the middle. Our biggest concern then is who is playing the best and getting in on the 4th line each night, as Chimmer is playing awesome and Wilson on 3RW. A good situation going into the playoffs, 4th line guys having to fight for a sweater, I like it.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Oshie now has same amount of ES goals and ES points as Chimera.

A lot of factors to that. Backstrom, OV and Oshie have been getting a higher percentage of top line assignments than ever before, which has taken some of the burden off the third line to play defensive all the time. But that's a double edged sword because as the third line gets more offensive minutes, the top line gets more defensive ones.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oh...the Ovechkin haters choking on that. Ov getting the shutdown matchup assignment on the defensive end.

Johansson. 15pts in his last 14 games.

bWo*

I like this with Burakovsky in the top 6 and Mojo playing solid at 3C. When Beagle comes back we'd be damn solid down the middle. Our biggest concern then is who is playing the best and getting in on the 4th line each night, as Chimmer is playing awesome and Wilson on 3RW. A good situation going into the playoffs, 4th line guys having to fight for a sweater, I like it.

your avy describes me this season :laugh:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Oh...the Ovechkin haters choking on that. Ov getting the shutdown matchup assignment on the defensive end.

In 7 games as 3C, Johansson has 5-3-8 (4-2-6 ES). In those same 7 games (not counting his suspension), Chimera is at 3-1-4 and Wilson is at 1-2-3. Pretty damn impressive start.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Is there one player -- outside of Laich -- that isn't playing up to or exceeding expectations? The lack of passengers on this team is impressive. Everyone has a role and everyone performs that role well. Credit that to GMBM for constructing the roster and HCBT for fostering that kind of environment.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Come on, where do you find these "haters"? These days, when I look at other teams' GDTs, I mostly see respect for Ovi that few players get...

He basically got to the stage where he is a recognized legend and many/most people want to see him get a deserved Cup.

As far bitter fans of rival teams and various crazies, you are not gonna convince them of anything with facts, anyway.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Is there one player -- outside of Laich -- that isn't playing up to or exceeding expectations? The lack of passengers on this team is impressive. Everyone has a role and everyone performs that role well. Credit that to GMBM for constructing the roster and HCBT for fostering that kind of environment.

Until recently only Bura IMO. This is the Bura I hoped for coming into this season. Confidence is everything and he's gotten some goals and points and he's starting to swell...

9 pts in his last 11 games, including 3g. Only 1g but 7pts in his last 5. I'm pretty excited he's done so well when forced onto the 2nd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad