Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Jackets Episode III: Revenge of the Holtbeast 7:07 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Holtby has not had a good week. The last time he faced Columbus he was average as well. Holtby needs a strong game tonight.

IK speculates Carlson is doubtful which means Stanton is in.

Win.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Looking forward to see what Stanton can do (I always figured he'd get the call up before Ness).

Nice having this depth...nod to the pro scouting for once.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Carlson's put up good point totals but he's nowhere close to a Norris winner. His defensive zone coverage and possession stats have been very suspect, even when away from boat-anchor Orpik.

Karlsson should win the Norris again.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I mean I get that Ovie burned Karlsson the other day and it looked bad for him (good for us Caps fans), but he still tilts the ice more than any other defenseman in the league and he has the gaudy point totals as well. It's hard to say he doesn't deserve the Norris (and possibly the Hart too) because without him that team is the worst in the league.

Just look at the stats with him off the ice compared to when he is on the ice. No other skater does impacts his team in a positive way more than Karlsson.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I mean I get that Ovie burned Karlsson the other day and it looked bad for him (good for us Caps fans), but he still tilts the ice more than any other defenseman in the league and he has the gaudy point totals as well. It's hard to say he doesn't deserve the Norris (and possibly the Hart too) because without him that team is the worst in the league.

Just look at the stats with him off the ice compared to when he is on the ice. No other skater does impacts his team in a positive way more than Karlsson.

You could make the same argument for Burns or Faulk. As far as defense goes, Doughty is the most complete.

I'd rest Holtby tonight, Grubi has earned a start IMO.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
You could make the same argument for Burns or Faulk. As far as defense goes, Doughty is the most complete.

I'd rest Holtby tonight, Grubi has earned a start IMO.

Doughty plays on a possession juggernaut of a team and while he is certainly very good, the stats don't really back him up being a Norris winning player. Faulk is underrated but not quite Norris-worthy and also their young defense is good (remember how tough they played the Caps?) The reason why Carolina isn't great is because their forwards stink and Cam Ward is a sieve. S.J. has defensemen like Martin and Vlasic who are decent or at least respectable so it's not like Burns carries them single-handedly.

Karlsson single-handedly puts his team on his back and is carrying them to respectability despite the rest of their defense being the worst in the league (yes, even worse than Edmonton). Cowen, Borowiecki, Ceci, Wiercioch, etc. are just brutal and that's why Karlsson is forced to play ~30 minutes a night many nights.

Jun 15, 2007
I also think that Karlsson deserves and will get the Norris.

The job of all hockey players regardless of position is to help their teams win games. Ottawa's stats without Karlsson are not pretty.

Us caps fans probably aren't convinced by this argument after suffering through years of Mike Green. But Karlsson is on a whole different level than Green offensively.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
As much as I'm always up for seeing Holtby in net, I say that Grubi should play tonight too. He's been great lately, and Holts should fully recover from what was obviously bothering him this weekend so that he's nice and back on track come Thursday and going forward. (Isn't it fabulous having a strong back-up?)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Green actually should have won the Norris in 2008-09. He contributed so much on the offensive end that it made up for his defensive deficiencies.

I don't get why it's so hard: the best defenseman is the guy who contributes the most positive goal differential to his team. The goal in hockey to score more goals than the other team, even if it's like 8-3.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Green actually should have won the Norris in 2008-09. He contributed so much on the offensive end that it made up for his defensive deficiencies.

I don't get why it's so hard: the best defenseman is the guy who contributes the most positive goal differential to his team. The goal in hockey to score more goals than the other team, even if it's like 8-3.

Are you making an argument that +/- should determine the Norris winner?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Are you making an argument that +/- should determine the Norris winner?

No otherwise I wouldn't suggest Karlsson earlier. +/- is subject to a ton of random variation that is out of the player's control, for example Jose Theodore being a bad goaltender should not affect Green's Norris candidacy. Neither should Shaone Morrisonn being his partner. Jeff Schultz was like a +50 and guess what: he's out of the NHL now because he's not good.

Green tilted the ice and scored in a way that no other defenseman did, even if he couldn't defend a 2 on 1 to save his life. Dude was really underappreciated and it sucks that his career went south after the injuries.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Good lord it only took a handful of posts for this GDT to fly right off the tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad