Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Jackets Episode III: Revenge of the Holtbeast 7:07 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ok well we have tons of depth at D...our top pairing is out and we have 73 points....we are at the top against goals aainst

And the playoffs are a whole different animal. I wouldn't want to throw a Ness/Stanton/Carrick etc. in if someone goes down before the playoffs start or during a physical playoff series.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
It would be cool for Holtby to break the record for most wins in a season. I don't think the team can hit 60 but it would be awesome.

Most wins in a season by one goalie is 48 (Brodeur, 06-07). Holtby already has 30 through the Caps' first 46 games - he's on pace for 53.5 wins.

Holtby being the first goalie to win 50 games in a season would be incredible. :nod:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
And the playoffs are a whole different animal. I wouldn't want to throw a Ness/Stanton/Carrick etc. in if someone goes down before the playoffs start or during a physical playoff series.

I trust Chorney but not Ness/Stanton/Carrick. That being said, the Hawks won the Cup last year only with their top 4. The last pair was Timonen and Roszival who broke his ankle. They were getting 4-5 mins of ice time, Keith was a work horse. I'm not sure Carlson can handle the minutes Keith was given. In 44 and 74's absence, Alzner and Niskanen had to be the top guys getting 22-24 mins, so now they're trained to handle top pairing minutes as well.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Most wins in a season by one goalie is 48 (Brodeur, 06-07). Holtby already has 30 through the Caps' first 46 games - he's on pace for 53.5 wins.

Holtby being the first goalie to win 50 games in a season would be incredible. :nod:

That's awesome. I think he will definitely get close. Would love to see him break it

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Ness has been great...he was sent down because if he played one more game he would have to be put on waivers instead of sent down...Carlson will be back any day and if Orpik comes back Chorney will sit...we are in the best position we can be in imo

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I trust Chorney but not Ness/Stanton/Carrick. That being said, the Hawks won the Cup last year only with their top 4. The last pair was Timonen and Roszival who broke his ankle. They were getting 4-5 mins of ice time, Keith was a work horse. I'm not sure Carlson can handle the minutes Keith was given. In 44 and 74's absence, Alzner and Niskanen had to be the top guys getting 22-24 mins, so now they're trained to handle top pairing minutes as well.

I don't see Orpik being able to handle those kinds of minutes either. Combine both of them coming off significant injuries and some depth options would be nice.

Chicago acquired Kimmo at the TDL too and without both him and Rosival they would have had to roll with Cumiskey and Rundblad for basically the entire playoffs

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ness has been great...he was sent down because if he played one more game he would have to be put on waivers instead of sent down...Carlson will be back any day and if Orpik comes back Chorney will sit...we are in the best position we can be in imo

I know the waiver rules and I don't see Ness as being on any pairing for a cup winning team. What happens if either one of those guys go down after the TDL and the playoffs start? Having depth gives us flexibility and peace of mind.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don't see Orpik being able to handle those kinds of minutes either. Combine both of them coming off significant injuries and some depth options would be nice.

Chicago acquired Kimmo at the TDL too and without both him and Rosival they would have had to roll with Cumiskey and Rundblad for basically the entire playoffs

From this point onwards, I trust GMBM. My knowledge of hockey on how to build a Cup winning team is limited. You make a good point but it's hard to find that extra depth Dman and fit him under the cap. It's his call.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
From this point onwards, I trust GMBM. My knowledge of hockey on how to build a Cup winning team is limited. You make a good point but it's hard to find that extra depth Dman and fit him under the cap. It's his call.

I trust him too. I think he works his magic to come up with some cap room to add a few depth pieces. Waiving Galiev saves what 575k? Still don't think that's enough $$$ saved either. Best case scenario (besides moving Laich) is Orpik pulling a Kane and using his cap relief until the playoffs start and even that is risky because of not knowing what kind of Orpik you are going to get when he comes back.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I love to hear about strong ES stats.

We all know our PP will do zippy come playoff time, or at least becomes less effective. Never better.

About Stanton, its not about how he played tonight. It is THAT he played. Getting his feet wet and testing our depth is more important than how he played. I have seen plenty of our stars look worse on any given night. We won big, he gets a pass.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I know the waiver rules and I don't see Ness as being on any pairing for a cup winning team. What happens if either one of those guys go down after the TDL and the playoffs start? Having depth gives us flexibility and peace of mind.

What would your trade be for a #8 defenseman since you think he is not a #8 guy...seriously with the Cap as tight as it is for the Caps...

And I mean what would you give up to fill the 8 spot...certainly you would not trade for the proven 7

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I love to hear about strong ES stats.

We all know our PP will do zippy come playoff time, or at least becomes less effective. Never better.

About Stanton, its not about how he played tonight. It is THAT he played. Getting his feet wet and testing our depth is more important than how he played. I have seen plenty of our stars look worse on any given night. We won big, he gets a pass.

The one timer won't work, but we have found 10000 other options. The backdoor tap in pass by Kuzy, the one touch play to Oshie, Backstrom and Kuznetsov actually shooting the puck themselves, the Niskanen/Orlov/Carlson bomb and the stuff attempt by Mojo.

By the way, Ovi scored his first PP one timer of the season tonight.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
Haven't been able to watch the past two games due to work but has Richards continued to look good?

Nice to see the 1st line produce some and Kuzy do his magic. Johansson at 3c continues to look great. Don't touch that line at all.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
What would your trade be for a #8 defenseman since you think he is not a #8 guy...seriously with the Cap as tight as it is for the Caps...

And I mean what would you give up to fill the 8 spot...certainly you would not trade for the proven 7

Actually I'm thinking he's like number 9-10. Hopefully we don't see him ever again this season once Carlson or Orpik return lol. Gotta think if there's going to be a situation where it's important to win games and we're down two D they call up Ness and risk him to waivers due to how good he played.

Carlson
Orpik
Niskanen
Alzner
Orlov
Schmidt
Chorney
Ness
Carrick/Stanton(who's worse?...lol)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'll take the win, but I don't think the Caps played at their best tonight.

Need Carlson and Orpik back.

Jackets are in full tank mode. Scratching Tuytin and Hartnell, playing Bob in his first game in over a month. They're shooting for Matthews.

Easiest two points the Caps will get all year.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
KUZ has 28 primary assists this year - Most in NHL
And only 5 secondaries, and 2nd in the NHL in +/- too. Superstar!

By the way, Ovi scored his first PP one timer of the season tonight.
That's because our best passer usually plays on the 2nd PP unit. By the way, I've always found it strange that Nick won't do that cross-ice pass to AO he's definitely capable of. Ovechkin regularly hits Backstrom with that pass, Kuznetsov has set AO up with it, why doesn't Nick?

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Actually I'm thinking he's like number 9-10. Hopefully we don't see him ever again this season once Carlson or Orpik return lol. Gotta think if there's going to be a situation where it's important to win games and we're down two D they call up Ness and risk him to waivers due to how good he played.

Carlson
Orpik
Niskanen
Alzner
Orlov
Schmidt
Chorney
Ness
Carrick/Stanton(who's worse?...lol)

I was talking about Ness at 8 but I agree with your list 100%

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

If there's any way to make an upgrade happen you have to do it at this point. You can't risk having to throw a Ness type guy into the playoffs if some of our top guys go down. Look at the Islanders last year. They lose Visnovsky, de Haan, and Hamonic and their defense was awful after that. Chorney has been good but if you could upgrade him I'd do it every single time. Like I said, I'd much rather go into the playoffs having extra bodies and the peace of mind that they are going to be able to handle what's thrown at them. With Ness/Stanton/Carrick you don't exactly have that peace of mind. Ness has played well, but it's not like he has been tested against some of league's best teams.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
And only 5 secondaries, and 2nd in the NHL in +/- too. Superstar!

That's because our best passer usually plays on the 2nd PP unit. By the way, I've always found it strange that Nick won't do that cross-ice pass to AO he's definitely capable of. Ovechkin regularly hits Backstrom with that pass, Kuznetsov has set AO up with it, why doesn't Nick?

Because it's high-risk, with multiple sticks/bodies in the way, and a potential 2-on-1 the other way... I am guessing Backstrom doesn't like the odds. Kuzya says to hell with the odds :) Hard to say what is the right balance, Kuznetsov tends to be a bit over-ambitious on the PP, Backstrom maybe a bit too conservative.

The one area where Kuznetsov can really improve the PP, IMO, is when he moves around with the puck. When defenses have to shift around, they can't track lanes as well, so things open up. And Kuznetsov is the ideal guy to dish out punishment for that :)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Backstrom almost always goes for the safest pass. He could hit that cross ice pass easily, after all he is the king of saucer passes. He chooses not to because it's easier to just relay it to the point or set up Oshie. I love his backhand saucer to the point though.

Kuznetsov doesn't pass the puck the same way. He rarely elevates it, he just sends a hard and crisp pass under sticks and through the legs of the defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad