Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Nuevy sucks

Why sign Hillen for 200k above the league minimum

Caps can't beat playoff teams

Trade ovi.

Wish we had semin back

Anything else im missing?

Oleksy should still be playing in the ECHL.

MaJo is a bust.

Caps only win when they score on the PP.

No grit on this team.

Can't/won't block shots, especially Ovechkin.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'll do the old 3 bad, 3 good thing:

Three Bad:

1- Clearing the zone is still a huge issue. If teams get past our (very strong) neutral zone denials, we struggle to defend. I think it's a reflection of our lack of mobility and ability on the puck of the defense.

2- Lost too many board battles and loose puck races. Really helped Montreal's possession game.

3- Destroyed in the faceoff dot. A minor issue, but it becomes important against a possession team.

Three Good:

1- Huge effort on the shot-blocking front. 34-10. It's importance is magnified in road games, and the Caps came through in spades. The Erskine-Carlson pairing had 14 by themselves.

2- Lots of spunk and physicality. Ovechkin and Volpatti were wrecking balls all game, and it definitely affected the Habs breakout. You could see defensemen slowing up at the blue lines and in the neutral zone when the heard the train coming. Also loved the play of our defensemen in the crease.

3- Alexander Ovechkin. What more can be said? Just a joy to watch, and whoever said that it's like having an old friend back is exactly right. He's was involved everywhere tonight.

Nice post, but I'm going to disagree with #2 on your List of Woe. I actually thought we played pretty well along the boards. On the loose puck chase, I thought Chimera almost broke it open on two breakaways and that he should have drawn two calls; interference on the first and slashing on the second.

Ovechkin is simply the best player in the world right now.

Dirtbag59

May 13, 2011
Nuevy sucks

Why sign Hillen for 200k above the league minimum

Caps can't beat playoff teams

Trade ovi.

Wish we had semin back

Anything else im missing?

We need a shut down/stay at home defenseman

Jose Three-or-More

Pylon

Circles

Ah nothing like the classics

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Not alot to complain about.. It was sloppy, chippy and exciting.. Neuvi played a hell of a game.. Ovi was silly sick. (Still Stonehands with the tender pulled though) :laugh:
But, the favorite moment of the game (can't go w/o mentioning) was Erskine cleaning out Pacioretti at the horn, then telling him to "shut the **** up" as he skated away.. :yo:

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
These are the games that we will need to win in the playoffs. They really didn't have their "A" game, but reverted to clogging the neutral zone, playing a bit more physical, clamping down defensively, blocking shots, and getting timely goals. All in all, a very productive, solid road game against the #2 seed in the East. What makes it even better is we were missing Erat, Laich, and Ward. I mean Aaron Volpatti was on our 2nd line. That's what I call finding a way to win!

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
you are saying that the caps on a roll is like hell freezing over? please

From the start of season. Yes. Never would one imagine "hottest team in nhl" being applied to a cap highlight where they werent the abbused party. They are chipping away at their critics, myself included.

Robert Theodorson

Apr 27, 2010
Washington DC
Carlson must be paired with Alzner in the playoffs. His defensive play on that first goal was absolutely attrocious, but nobody talks about it because of the W.

That was a pretty sore sight.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Carlson must be paired with Alzner in the playoffs. His defensive play on that first goal was absolutely attrocious, but nobody talks about it because of the W.

Didn't Carlson pick his game up the last playoffs? I surely hope he'll do this again. I'm completely fine with average to below average defense from an offensive defenseman in the RS if he's good in PO.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
But, the favorite moment of the game (can't go w/o mentioning) was Erskine cleaning out Pacioretti at the horn, then telling him to "shut the **** up" as he skated away.. :yo:

+1 but adding to that, was the in goal camera showing him in the goal. :laugh:

That is the way for defensemen to finish games. Dont try to tie up his stick legally with 2 seconds left; playing afraid. Destroy them. Only Ovi can score laying on his back. I have always wondered why dmen don't go completely lawless in the last second goal mouth scramble.

Good
  1. Our defensemen's play offensively has been outstanding. Carlson seems much more aggressive. Hillen c'mon is there any debate he has brought more offense from that side that I have seen in years. Sorry Schultz - text it off man :(

2. That Ovi goal, covering for Carlson joins the fray late moving laterally maybe buying time for Carlson to get back - just crushed Montreal. That was a backbreaker goal that demoralized the place. And probably much of Canada eh.

3. Toughness. You can see it from Nick on down the line. We are playing angry, and we are not fun to play against right now, in any aspect of the game.
Bad
  1. Gave up that late goal by maybe Huntering errr Hunkering a bit too much. Tim Hunter diagramming all the late plays is reminiscent of JJ diagramming plays for Dale.

2. Poor coverage / communication Erskine and Carlson on the Habs first goal. Oates needs to push Calle aside or do something, they need to iron this stuff out.

3. Ovi needs to learn how to score ENG's again. Sure coaches have drilled him to not shoot before center but I think that may need to be scrapped. I dunno. Its getting awkward.

Vladiator16*

Exciting game no doubt, hockey is fun again... just wish we would stop clinching our cheeks in the last 5 or 6 min of the game.
Need Laich, Erat or Wardo back ASAP, AV or Chimer on the 2nd isn not gonna work for long.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA

His problem is dropping or not picking up coverage on his assignment, it doesn't matter who you pair him with if he keeps doing that. I do hope he gives his head a shake real soon though.

Great game otherwise.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
His problem is dropping or not picking up coverage on his assignment, it doesn't matter who you pair him with if he keeps doing that. I do hope he gives his head a shake real soon though.

Great game otherwise.
Yup. He's also getting lead feet way too often. He's next year's reclamation project for the coaching staff if Ovie and Backstrom maintain their form.

It's a damn shame we couldn't have gotten Larry Robinson instead of Calle for the staff.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005

I must have hit the rewind button on that at least 5 times, it was so great to watch. Johnny absolutely ka-boomed him into the net and then went down on the ice to get a piece of Subban and then told all the Habs whiners to fug off. Get the hell out of our crease.

That right there is hockey played with a "go fug yourself" attitude, and it's what this team has been lacking at key times. Volpatti played that way all night as well - he was smoking people.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

carlson's defensive play was so bad early on this season that alzner asked for a change to green to save his sanity.

i am not sure how putting alzner with carlson fixes anything with carlson. hopefully carslon's game will refocus in the playoffs like it did last season.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
carlson's defensive play was so bad early on this season that alzner asked for a change to green to save his sanity.

i am not sure how putting alzner with carlson fixes anything with carlson. hopefully carslon's game will refocus in the playoffs like it did last season.

He asked? How do you know this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad