Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Golden Knights, 8PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
True true, but also Bondra was drafted in 1990 and played 54 games in DC that same year. Since being drafted Vrana has spent 1 year in Jrs and three in Hershey before establishing himself in the Caps lineup, partially only due to the expansion draft and cap mismanagement forcing a youth movement before they really wanted to. Different era for sure, but Bondra developed instantly, Vrana is taking the normal path.
Bondra was drafted at 22, though, and Vrana just turned 22. I'm not sure Vrana will have the consistency, slapper or defensive game Bondra came to have but I don't think there's any question he's taken real strides forward in these playoffs. His game next season should benefit from it greatly. For me it's mostly his engagement on the forecheck and on cycle plays. The speed in transition has always been there but adding that sustained pressure element will really help his game.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I would never in a 1000 years think that anyone would mention that band's name on here. haha

Also, how does Tuch play hockey with that hotdog protruding from his back. Must be annoying.

Fun fact for fans of the D.C./Dischord Music Scene of Yesteryear:

Every time I try to post this photo of Holtby's save to Facebook, FB's facial-recognition thing automatically tags Brooks Orpik as Justin Moyer, the bassist from the D.C. band El Guapo (later called Supersystem). To be fair, they do look a little bit alike.

holtby-capitals-ftr-053018-getty_17rlnj5dsdo711r9eh1r35gmwn.jpg

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I would never in a 1000 years think that anyone would mention that band's name on here. haha
I would never in a 1000 years think that anyone else would recognize it!!! El Guapo (and, to a lesser extent, Supersystem) were a real big deal in my relatively tiny music/social circle back then. We loved those dudes. (Though I completely understand all of the vitriol pretty much everyone else felt for them...)

Dischord Records 4Ever.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Missed this and didn't know if it was already posted.

Did anyone check and see if the puck was ok?

Holy hell, he's a goooddaammn Terminator Robot!

Also, again, LOL at Pierre ducking like he's being shot at.

BTW, I'm stealing this to post on the mains, just because they need to see it.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I would never in a 1000 years think that anyone else would recognize it!!! El Guapo (and, to a lesser extent, Supersystem) were a real big deal in my relatively tiny music/social circle back then. We loved those dudes. (Though I completely understand all of the vitriol pretty much everyone else felt for them...)

Dischord Records 4Ever.

I'm friends with some guys from those days who are still big Caps fans. Youth Brigade and some offshoots, etc

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Bondra was drafted at 22, though, and Vrana just turned 22. I'm not sure Vrana will have the consistency, slapper or defensive game Bondra came to have but I don't think there's any question he's taken real strides forward in these playoffs. His game next season should benefit from it greatly. For me it's mostly his engagement on the forecheck and on cycle plays. The speed in transition has always been there but adding that sustained pressure element will really help his game.

Didn't realize he was 22 when drafted. Explains a bit. Agreed with everything else. Vrana is going to be a stud soon. Right now he's just barely tapping into his potential.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I'm friends with some guys from those days who are still big Caps fans. Youth Brigade and some offshoots, etc

Then we run in the same circles. My buddy, who I used to be in a band with, plays/played hockey with Danny from YB. There was a show last night, but I didn't stick around long because of the game.

Reactions: g00n

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Anyone else notice that in the waning seconds of the game, Tom Wilson is skating back towards the Capitals goal when I believe William Karlsson skates behind and then by him at which time both of Wilson's knees and legs buckle forcing him to the ice. Didn't see what had happened to him, but I thought at first Karlsson may have slew footed Wilson.
Now confirmed it was a slew foot by Karlsson on Wilson, check the series discussion thread where someone has posted a video of the incident.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I was bored so browsed their page for a few minutes this morning. For a team that was knocked out 2 rounds ago they are still really engaged and they REALLY don't want us to win. It's pretty funny, not that I needed another reason to want a SC for the Caps

Just remember how many of them say that the Caps are not rivals. Its just media driven

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Then we run in the same circles. My buddy, who I used to be in a band with, plays/played hockey with Danny from YB. There was a show last night, but I didn't stick around long because of the game.

I'm mostly online/fan friends from a while back with some of those guys, Danny and Nate. Didn't really hang out with that crew as they were a bit older. I was more mid-late 80s and early 90s with shows/clubs.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Vrana has got cup clinching goal written ALL OVER HIM imo.

I called out that Wilson incident during live GDT and thought it was dirty off the play. i didnt go back and look though due to WINNING.

Wilson is seriously so underestimated what he means to our team. We scored the go ahead goal? from the penalty that he drew. And we have done that countless times this year.
He cops it big time but is like a russian machine himself. I seriously dont think we are here without him. With a force like him and a very dangerous PP.... It puts opposition teams in a real tight spot about how to handle him.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Vrana looks awesome, like a legit offensive dynamo in the making. He just knows what to do and where to be offensively -- and has all the tools -- and seems robust enough physically. The finishing touch should come -- and will determine whether he becomes a quality 2nd liner, a 1st liner, or something more. Hard to imagine anything less for him. Would be great, of course, if he manages to dial in his aim NOW, but that's up to the "hockey gods"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad