Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Golden Knights, 8PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
if we lose and its 2-0 vegas, well.. caps and home ice are not the best fit. so i'll be worried

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Trotz needs to cut the 4th line's ice time significantly, and he needs to avoid continually deploying the 4th line with Orpik-Djoos. Perhaps in Games 3 and 4 when Trotz can control the matchups better the 4th line could get a few more minutes, but for now with Gallant willing to double-shift his top line if he sees weak opposition I would more carefully deploy the 4th line and ride the top 9 more heavily, especially with a 2 day break coming up after tonight's game and a more spread out SCF schedule. Connolly and the third line was surprisingly effective and it's nonsensical that he only received 40 seconds more ES ice time than DSP last game, for instance. Burakovsky also received similar ice time as the 4th line despite having a relatively strong possession game (his TOI went up a bit in the final few minutes since he was on the ice for the 6v5).

I appreciate Trotz trying to roll 4 lines, but now's not the time to conserve energy. DSP has been opportunistic this postseason but his play and lack of a possession game doesn't lend itself to future scoring. Wilson, Kuznetsov, and Ovechkin seem to have plenty of energy in the tank so they really ought to be getting more minutes even if they were a bit off in Game 1.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Oprik is too slow to handle Vegas. He's been good for us this playoffs, but the last game he was too slow. Too bad Jerabeck sucks and Bowey isn't ready.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
When Vegas advanced to the Finals, we were still trailing Tampa Bay. They had an advantage going into game 1, with twice as much time to rest, heal, and game plan for us specifically. We still gave them a tough time.

We've been down by one game in every series so far.

We've got them right where we want them.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
With Vegas rolling 4 I don't know if you can limit your 4th so much in a long series.

As I mentioned you can probably play the 4th line a bit more at home. Beagle's already going to get a bit more ice time than the wingers on his line due to his faceoff deployments.

And looking at the TOI it looks like Vegas didn't really roll 4 lines too evenly. Vegas's first line got 17+ minutes and their bottom 9 got 10-12 minutes. The Capitals had more of a top 6 and bottom 6 dynamic, with the top two lines getting ~16 minutes while the bottom 6 got 10-12 minutes until the end where Eller and Burakovsky got a bit more time due to the 6v5 scenario.

I'd like to see the Capitals approach the TOI with more of a top 9/bottom 3 line of thinking rather than a top 6/bottom 6, especially with the effectiveness of the second and third lines. There's no reason Eller, Burakovsky, and Connolly couldn't eat a few more of the 4th line's minutes given their age and the fact that 10 and 65 aren't prominent special teams players so they wouldn't be exhausted from considerable PKing, for instance. And as I mentioned I would hope that Kuznetsov, Ovechkin, and Wilson have a bit more in the tank too even with potential heavy special teams usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyHolt

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
tenor.gif

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Na, Orpik is ok. Caps just need to play the same opportunistic style that beat the other teams, not this open space, running around style they played in game 1 which is exactly what Vegas wants to play. I predict a much better D game tonight and a far lower scoring game for both teams.

Give them no space or speed, hit and frustrate them, make them take more chances, capitalize on their errors.

Rinse, repeat.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Take away the center of the ice.

And them pummel them as they try to squeak by wide. I am looking at you Orpik. Ovi. Willy. Oow.

I wonder if Barry had the boys scale back on the hitting because we needed the break physically, or if he just wanted to test the waters in game 1 without much of a customized game plan.

They may look big up front with the towels tucked under their aluminum shoulder pads, but I think we have a size advantage and I know one way to use that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad