Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Golden Knights, 8PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
Take away the center of the ice.

And them pummel them as they try to squeak by wide. I am looking at you Orpik. Ovi. Willy. Oow.

I wonder if Barry had the boys scale back on the hitting because we needed the break physically, or if he just wanted to test the waters in game 1 without much of a customized game plan.

They may look big up front with the towels tucked under their shoulder pads, but I think we have a size advantage and I know one way to use that.
The Capitals first line contains all of the hitters. Assuming Vegas will attempt to line-match all series, I have to assume that part of the game plan should be for Ovechkin and Wilson to PUMMEL IN ALL CAPS any opposing player in front of them.

Wear them down, boys. Speed is negated when someone is hit so much they're always needing to put their head on a swivel every time they touch the puck. *edit - or are thinking about receiving the puck.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have been having a vision of Vrana scoring off an extra Oshie pass. And yes to all concerned, I got my clock cleaned on Monday night.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Got to pick your spots to hit. A fraction of a second to late or a fraction of an inch high and there will be a suspension.

The knights, like the Pens, goad you into hitting and throw pucks to open spaces. Winnipeg got burned by it this year. We got burned by the Rangers in 2015.

It’s a different game today.

My plan...the D should not mess around and use the sky flip clear and chase it down. Play a passive trap with sticks in lanes and counter.

It’s just what works these days.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We don't need to hit on the forecheck. I want to see hits in center, skating into our 122 or 131, as long as there is a F back. Otherwise opportunistic hits as they arise notably on any turnover prone D and skilled F. Although we have seen it almost every year; charging stride count and the time allotted to hit after a pass are both eased in the loffs. Why not use it? I have a feeling tonights officials got a memo about the Reaves CC/goal and will call some stuff early, but not late.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The key this year has been players stepping up with hero performances at critical times. Who does it tonight?

I think they need Carlson to step up tonight. Despite scoring and doing a decent job in possession he was hands down the worst defenseman on the ice in the D-zone in Game 1 and can be blamed, or partially blamed, for 3 goals against. He screened Holtby on goal #1, didn't cover Karlsson on goal #2, and didn't intercept a very obvious cross-ice pass on goal #5.

They also need more from their 4th line even if all that means is that they play their opposition to a draw.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Got to pick your spots to hit. A fraction of a second to late or a fraction of an inch high and there will be a suspension.

The knights, like the Pens, goad you into hitting and throw pucks to open spaces. Winnipeg got burned by it this year. We got burned by the Rangers in 2015.

It’s a different game today.

My plan...the D should not mess around and use the sky flip clear and chase it down. Play a passive trap with sticks in lanes and counter.

It’s just what works these days.

Vegas double teams the puck and uses a 3rd guy to jump the turnover or panic pass that results. If you start hitting guys and taking them out of the play there are fewer guys to double team.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Another big one we always hear.... we need to take away time and space. I know we live in fear of their collective speed, but if you get a body on them and are in their way before they get up to speed... glorious victory should ensue. We need to bloody their err lip muddy the waters. Make it a very physical game by always getting a piece of anyone we can. Without getting 5 PPs a night, we have to have a solid ES game and it starts with slowing them down.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
We take over the neutral zone tonight.

giphy.gif

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Vegas double teams the puck and uses a 3rd guy to jump the turnover or panic pass that results. If you start hitting guys and taking them out of the play there are fewer guys to double team.

Maybe. I’d need to watch them more. I still think it depends what zone you hit them and the circumstance. Feel you have to be calculated against teams like these. Cant go Mike Keenan and demand zero fly bys and a high finish check rate.

They are hyper aggressive with their sticks and flipping it out quick when their guys rush the pick bearer seems to be the way to go for me.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Run and Gun on the mushy ice needs to be avoided. A 2-1 victory might be needed tonight to shock them.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We are going to rough them up. It's just a matter of when. Barry saved the heavy hitting last series for game 6, but it was a difference maker. We may need to win a game or 2 before he starts to put the foot on their pencil knecks. Geeks.

f709488b-274d-416e-bca4-8772dce5ab82_screenshot.jpg

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Is that GMGM tonight when Oshie taunts him?

That's more like GM trying to intercept the Interceptor Tom Wilson after he pummels a few of his stars. I still think George was an idiot for expecting Chicago to ice an exhibition all star friendly lineup, being a former goon and all. Halverson was never the same after that, and yet another failed LW draft choice was added to the ledger.

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
Would prefer a more controlled game tonight. Can't get into this scramble hockey with Vegas.

edit: also I think some better ice might help that.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Kelly Sutherland and Chris Rooney call more penalties than Wes McCauley and Marc Joannette. I think we will see a few more PPs tonight.

I'll never understand why they match the two tightest together and the two loosest together.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think they need Carlson to step up tonight. Despite scoring and doing a decent job in possession he was hands down the worst defenseman on the ice in the D-zone in Game 1 and can be blamed, or partially blamed, for 3 goals against. He screened Holtby on goal #1, didn't cover Karlsson on goal #2, and didn't intercept a very obvious cross-ice pass on goal #5.

They also need more from their 4th line even if all that means is that they play their opposition to a draw.
I don't want to blame the victim but Carlson turning his back on Reaves in front of the net wasn't smart either. He completely lost Nosek on the GWG and didn't even realize that lane had opened up. Just way too much lazy puck watching from him. It's in large part why he put himself in the position to be cross-checked by Reaves to begin with. Why square up with the puck handler behind the net there? Niskanen apologized for his G5 performance last series but this was far worse on a fundamental level IMO. It's a big stage, he plays a lot and Vegas really brings the pace but he absolutely must be smarter and more aware.

You'd hope they went to school on the video and will have learned their lesson in terms of the defensive firmness, awareness and the general second effort needed to stop them. It's not going to be easy but puck watching in a man defense really can't happen. Certainly not to that extent. A split focus, sure, but not to the point of being mesmerized. Do your job.

Apr 6, 2004
Agree with Stephenson being do but wanted to take a second and say how thrilled I've been with his progress in general

Reactions: bur and 666 others
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad