Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
What did he do wrong here? He assumed he was gonna go, but the Caps doctors ended up not clearing him. Is that such a big deal?

It might be, depending on how it went down and his reaction it, but we have no facts on that.

You're not doing this right. We MUST over-react and spend at least the next 12 pages discussing it endlessly. Facts, schmacts!

Reactions: kicksavedave

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If Florida gets beat in the first round, which I think everyone knows will likely happen, I wonder what they would take to move on from Barkov. He is going to be a UFA at the end of next season, will be in for a big raise, and it likely won't be with Florida. Trading Kuzy and probably a a high draft pick, might be an interesting trade from their perspective. They get a player who can fill into the spot Barkov played, obviously not as well, but it isn't just picks and prospects coming back, they also get a lower salary than what Barkov would make in the future.

Caps get a stud 1C who would fit right into the all around game the Caps want to play. I think they could afford to move on from Eller after next season, move his money to Barkov, and fill the 3C spot with McMichael the season after that.

I doubt Florida is ready to move on from Barkov, I don't blame them, but it is at least intriguing in my mind.

Even if Florida were looking to move on from Barkov - a huge if - Kuzy + a late first rounder doesn’t get it done. A disinterested, distracted guy who plays at best like a 2C these days, on a team that couldn’t get out of the first round for the last three years - how does that help them? If you think about how much Detroit got for Mantha, I’ve no doubt Florida could do much better.

And we don’t have a first rounder until next year. We don’t have many 2nds, either. And you know Florida would insist on McMichael, and perhaps a guy like Alexeyev too, as part of the trade.

From the Caps perspective, that’s a huge haul to give up for a guy who could well still walk a year later. If Barkov is willing to hit free agency, he’s going to look for a long term deal. A Caps team that may or may not be competitive for a couple more years before it implodes into full-on rebuild is unlikely to be his preferred destination, just as it wasn’t for Hall.

If the Caps had a lot of youth to offset the ageing Backstrom/Kuzy/Oshie core, maybe things would be different. Or even if this was a team where key aspects were fire, let down by a single gaping hole this one player could fill. But with an increasingly-old roster, inexperience and indecision in net, poor current postseason form and the fact that in a few weeks we’ll likely have Ovi and Backstrom combining for some $20 mill into their late 30s… I’m not sure why any big name players like Barkov or Seth Jones would look to sign here, sadly.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I understand the past several months have made the fanbase grow tired of him, but I can't help but think he's now severely underrated by a lot of fans.

I dont think its the fans that are tired of him. As far as underrated is concerned. He is not earning a reputation for being clutch.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If there is no suitable replacement for Kuznetsov at center lined up either via trade or free agency, then yes they should keep him even if the players object. They are professionals too and sometimes you have to deal with people/players you don't like. I'm not particularly keen on Backstrom/Eller as their top 2 centers going into next season.

Try again to properly reveal yourself. You are not particularly keen with Backstrom as a top 2 center. Yes, they are professionals. I am impressed that you dont think a divided or unhappy locker room is an issue but I guess there are no analytics to prove that.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
The COVID seasons have really messed up Sammy’s development. I think two normal seasons instead of what happened would have helped enormously.

Reactions: SherVaughn30

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
People talk about the core being too old and needing to turn it over. I think you can still compete at a high level even against fast teams if you spread them out. I'm talking about Ovie, Backstrom, and Oshie. LW1, C2, and RW3 would be ideal. Then fill in around them with youth and speed.

Ovechkin - Fast C1 - Wilson
Fast LW2 - Backstrom - Mantha
Sheary - Eller(?) - Oshie
Hagelin - Dowd- Hathaway

There's nothing wrong with that lineup when healthy, imo. I guess Kuz can be the C1 if he gets his shit together, but they might need a new face at the top.

IMO that LW2 spot is a need again (post-Vrana). The ideal candidate there is a guy with speed and some toughness to round out that line.

I'm also not as sold on Eller as I was in previous years. Open to ideas there, especially if CMM can step up.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Try again to properly reveal yourself. You are not particularly keen with Backstrom as a top 2 center. Yes, they are professionals. I am impressed that you dont think a divided or unhappy locker room is an issue but I guess there are no analytics to prove that.

I'm not keen on Backstrom and Eller being their top two center depth. But misconstrue what I said all you want I guess.

It's really not worth discussing anything with you when I say something and you interpret it in the most ridiculous way possible. And you do this repeatedly.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Who here thinks that Kuzy was more valuable than Eller against Boston?

Why would Eller-Backstrom be worse than Kuzy-Backstrom?

I dont buy it.

Trading Kuzy gives cap space for several years, some assets, roster slot for CMM and removes distraction. Thats value right there.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not keen on Backstrom and Eller being their top two center depth. But misconstrue what I said all you want I guess.

It's really not worth discussing anything with you when I say something and you interpret it in the most ridiculous way possible. And you do this repeatedly.

If you are good with Backstrom then its only Eller up the lineup that you are not keen on. Unless its both of them that bug you.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I dont buy it.

Trading Kuzy gives cap space for several years, some assets, roster slot for CMM and removes distraction. Thats value right there.

Your forget, Twabby is fine with an ice tilting but not actually producing Kuzy.

I think some of the last Kuzy supporters are holding onto the idea of the great player we saw at his best one time (Cup run).

Like others have said, and I agree, he’s unlikely to regain his top form ever. If he does, IMO, it will only be after a trade where his ego takes a hit. Then MAYBE he comes out on fire for a year, MAYBE.

Reactions: txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I dont buy it.

Based on previous conversations, Kuzy is the best of the 3. Backstrom is struggling and not that good. Eller isnt a 1 or 2 c

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
People talk about the core being too old and needing to turn it over. I think you can still compete at a high level even against fast teams if you spread them out. I'm talking about Ovie, Backstrom, and Oshie. LW1, C2, and RW3 would be ideal. Then fill in around them with youth and speed.

Ovechkin - Fast C1 - Wilson
Fast LW2 - Backstrom - Mantha
Sheary - Eller(?) - Oshie
Hagelin - Dowd- Hathaway

There's nothing wrong with that lineup when healthy, imo. I guess Kuz can be the C1 if he gets his shit together, but they might need a new face at the top.

IMO that LW2 spot is a need again (post-Vrana). The ideal candidate there is a guy with speed and some toughness to round out that line.

I'm also not as sold on Eller as I was in previous years. Open to ideas there, especially if CMM can step up.

They just don’t bring the same skill set at all. I don’t see CMM as an Eller replacement in any way. CMM would get eaten alive with the playoff physicality at the NHL-level IMO. He needs to physically develop….now, put him on wing, different story.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Based on previous conversations, Kuzy is the best of the 3. Backstrom is struggling and not that good. Eller isnt a 1 or 2 c

Even if you’re down on Backstrom as some are as he ages, he still produced a 22g/78 point pace this year. If that’s a 2/3 Center in people’s book fine….we just need our real #1 from outside the Organization.

Reactions: Raikkonen

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Even if you’re down on Backstrom as some are as he ages, he still produced a 22g/78 point pace this year. If that’s a 2/3 Center in people’s book fine….we just need our real #1 from outside the Organization.

Well, thats true, but actual points and goals are overrated

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
They just don’t bring the same skill set at all. I don’t see CMM as an Eller replacement in any way. CMM would get eaten alive with the playoff physicality at the NHL-level IMO. He needs to physically develop….now, put him on wing, different story.
This feels like old fashioned thinking.

We had everything going for us physically and we got eaten up by a faster younger team... again.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
This feels like old fashioned thinking.

We had everything going for us physically and we got eaten up by a faster younger team... again.
What sucks is their core is just as old as ours, they cut bait with Chara and Krug and got better. I thought we matched up well with them with size/offense/ and physicality. Even though they were hot going in and we were kinda whatever. They make adjustments and we don’t, Laviolette really did not live up to the hype. Their top line is just crazy good together, Bergeron is a hell of a player. I hate Boston but no denying it

Reactions: um

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Kuzy is Semin Jr. For both of them hockey was a way to make a living, they didn't seem to give much of a shit beyond that, and they indulged off the ice in various ways. Except Semin was an absolute beast when it came to Corsi and Fenwick. Kuzy, not so much. At least not consistently, and not as drastically.

Weren't there pictures of Semin smoking? What pro athlete f***ing smokes in the 21st century? So instead of pictures with cigarettes you have videos of Kuz doing blow. Or he catches Covid after breaking protocols. At least twice. That we know of.

Semin flamed out of the NHL at 31. He was off the Caps by 28 or so. Kuzy is 28.

Sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce