Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
While i think we should keep Vrana for now and look again at offseason, if i have to trade him now id figure something out of the box- like.

Hall (50) +
For
Vrana & Panik

which would give us 15 games and poffs with Hall and the cap space and + to go after c depth rental like Haula or Nash aswell (can also play W). Moving forward we would have the Paniks cap space free’d and i think its possible to find a decent stopgag middle/top 6 forward for 3-4 millions from the FA or another trade for next 1-2 seasons (like Hoffman or Granlund).

Certainly not the best asset management and might end up horrible for us, but im not sure what better fits to our ”window is now” and ”all in” mode.

In what way is 29-year-old Taylor Hall an upgrade over Vrana, though? He isn’t scoring this year despite playing with Eichel, isn’t exactly the most physical guy in the league and has spent chunks of his career on IR. And then you have potentially two middle-six wingers to replace in the off season, and last time we traded away a skilled middle six winger we signed Panik as a replacement...

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
In what way is 29-year-old Taylor Hall an upgrade over Vrana, though? He isn’t scoring this year despite playing with Eichel, isn’t exactly the most physical guy in the league and has spent chunks of his career on IR. And then you have potentially two middle-six wingers to replace in the off season, and last time we traded away a skilled middle six winger we signed Panik as a replacement...

What does age have do with it.

im not sure he is update, and thats why i would wait for the offseason to see Vrana battle through this benching before making decisions.

But Buffalo is a shitstorm this year and Hall is quite recent Hart winner. Id think we havent seen the best of Hall yet for this season. In theory atleast he has highend game breaking capability, far more than Vrana has. For me the biggest thing would not be ”getting someone same aged and fast etc”. If you are trading Vrana, you dont trade him to get another Vrana like some in our boards are saying. You trade him for immediate help, and for cap space that you can use to replace him. Rakell might be option too, even more if Ducks would retain.

but still, dont trade Vrana, atleast yet.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Middle six wingers can he replaced cheaply. $1m will get someone as good, or better than Panik.

I understand the asset management issue with Vrana, and it’s probably best to wait until the Summer to trade him. But as an outside the box proposal, Vrana and Panik for Hall makes some sense.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Yeah if we really want Taylor Hall, it's best to just sign him in the offseason when he should be cheap(er/ish).

He's not going to come in mid-season all of a sudden being some offensive force after going all year not doing anything. If he is to bounce back, it will more likely be after spending the summer learning and training with his new team.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Ultimately they need to let Vrana play to his strengths and accentuate his game to get the most out of him. He needs better fundamentals and work ethic when he's cold but they need to realize his bread and butter and help him get on track in those easier areas. If it's not something they're going to pay market rate for then his days are numbered. It doesn't help that Backstrom isn't a facilitator 5-on-5 and that there are only two other pace-pushing top six players on the team (92, 43). Vrana should be a driver at his age and isn't. It's a problem. They'll deal with it one way or another but I don't love getting a rental player for him (even if he's the best talent available). I don't know that Hall necessarily helps them against NYI but he probably does against PIT at least. Adding Ullmark would help perhaps but I don't know about loading up for this season. Even with players obviously slowing down IMO they need to be mindful of the broader view. That's not to say to punt. Some shrewd help is needed. But they shouldn't be dealing away youth, even if they're due a raise, for short-term help that may not fit structurally.

Something like Hall, Ullmark and maybe Tage Thompson for Vrana, Panik and maybe Siegenthaler would get my attention if the cap works but as a principle it's preferable for larger trades to happen in the off-season. Expansion adds a wrinkle but a wider array of assets should be considered than just assorted immediate help IMO. They're in a fairly tricky spot going forward and it's likely to require a lot of tough decisions setting sentiment aside.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Taylor Hall is one player I would think could come into DC and make an immediate impact. He’s a forechecking playmaking winger on a team that seems to have more finishers than either Buffalo or Arizona did. I think he could be a good fit though I’m not sure what the asking price would be.

That said I think an LD might be a bigger need. If they go for LD they need to target someone who could thrive alongside Carlson and amplify Carlson’s strengths. I mentioned Ekholm before but I also think an outside the box option like Hampus Lindholm could be explored. He’d need to be protected in expansion which would add a wrinkle but he’s the play-driving D that could counter heavy forechecking teams like the Islanders.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
If Kempny gets work/placed on the taxi squad, does that mean that he gets taken off the LTIR list without having his salary count any against the cap? I'm not sure how any of that works.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
What does age have do with it.

im not sure he is update, and thats why i would wait for the offseason to see Vrana battle through this benching before making decisions.

As in Hall today, rather than people’s image of Hall from even 2 or 3 years ago. He’s in a contractual ‘prove it’ year and he isn’t delivering.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If Kempny gets work/placed on the taxi squad, does that mean that he gets taken off the LTIR list without having his salary count any against the cap? I'm not sure how any of that works. And if so, are we able to place someone else on LTIR if need be since we won't be at the LTIR limit anymore.

He hasn’t been activated from LTIR, he’s still in a non-contact jersey. If he were placed on the taxi squad he’d need to be activated from LTIR, which means fit to play, and he’d need to pass through waivers first from the active roster.

Kempny’ cap hit is $2.5million, so assuming he and Panik both cleared waivers they’d still be over the cap a little (with only $2.15m buried). They’d need someone else on LTIR, or to subtract someone else from the active roster. My guess is Kempny remains on LTIR until the playoffs and then is officially activated (whether or not he actually plays).

Reactions: tenken00

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Why in gods name is Carr playing over Sprong?

He liked Carr in Nashville and I guess they just want another look. Sprong = good shot and not much more, Panik = good play driving and details but not much more. Team needs a lineup that can score and be defensively minded. Doubt Carr’s the answer, though.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.

He liked Carr in Nashville and I guess they just want another look. Sprong = good shot and not much more, Panik = good play driving and details but not much more. Team needs a lineup that can score and be defensively minded. Doubt Carr’s the answer, though.

Carr is great outside of the NHL but has never shown the ability to contribute in the big leagues.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019

You're going to have to replace him anyway. Do you think this team is going to be able to fit Vrana in with a flat cap next year when he's due a raise (undeserving)

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Seems we are over analyzing here. Very clear they wanted to give other guys more of a shot and that’s why they waived Panik, who hasn’t found his groove in Lavi’s system. Give Carr and game or two and if he sucks, you have the flexibility now to give Pilon a game or two if you want to. It helps lessen the noose of the tight salary cap.

As for Vrana, it would be a mistake to trade him right now for a rental Taylor Hall. Hall isn’t going to come back to Washington and most likely costs more than Vrana will command on his new deal. There’s definitely a team out there sees the speed, skill and shot/goal scoring ability of Vrana and wants a player of that caliber on their team. They’ll get solid future assets for him IMO, but they again would lessen the overall skill and speed of this team by moving him. It’s a curious predicament to be in, but making a knee jerk trade because he was healthy scratched a few times seems silly. Maybe give him the opportunity under Lavi to see if he blossoms in the playoffs this year. It’s very clear that there was a trend where a lot of guys have absolutely dog shit years under TR that didn’t have them before he took over.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
You're going to have to replace him anyway. Do you think this team is going to be able to fit Vrana in with a flat cap next year when he's due a raise (undeserving)
They clearly could keep him if they wanted to, tough cap decisions will be necessary regardless. I can’t think of a cup winning team in the last several years that didn’t have multiple young, speedy scoring wingers on their team.

Vrana is 25
Sprong is 24

Every single regular besides them is 27 or older. Vrana is tied-fourth in goals and fifth in points on the team. (Hall has 2 goals and 17 assists on the season, FYI. You’ve no idea which version of Hall you’d be getting, in exchange for the first round pick the Sabres are asking for...). We need guys like Vrana to fit, just like we need Kuzy on his game, otherwise we’ll quickly become any other old team + Alex Ovechkin.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Does anyone think Ottawa would take Panik?

Panik, Leason to Ottawa

Or Panik and a 2nd to Ottawa for Dzingle (50%)

Dzingle is a UFA, but makes more than Panik.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They clearly could keep him if they wanted to, tough cap decisions will be necessary regardless. I can’t think of a cup winning team in the last several years that didn’t have multiple young, speedy scoring wingers on their team.

Vrana is 25
Sprong is 24

Every single regular besides them is 27 or older. Vrana is tied-fourth in goals and fifth in points on the team. (Hall has 2 goals and 17 assists on the season, FYI. You’ve no idea which version of Hall you’d be getting, in exchange for the first round pick the Sabres are asking for...). We need guys like Vrana to fit, just like we need Kuzy on his game, otherwise we’ll quickly become any other old team + Alex Ovechkin.

you don’t really think that the Buffalo version of Hall is the only version left do you?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
They're not going to get a defenseman who will have a major positive impact on the team's success at the deadline. That should pretty much end any talks about trading for the D because wasting everyone's time with a "depth" addition that sucks like a vacuum like they did in previous years is definitely not it. That target should be a forward and that also should not be about "depth" but about immediate results. A middle six C or a top-6 winger for Vrana. I am absolutely for having a legit #1 goalie before the playoffs but everyone knows nobody gonna give up one this time of year.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad