Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
expectations will be waaaaay down. I was here for the McPhee sell off.....I don’t have any scars.

If you can live through top pair Kiwi-Doig, you can live through anything!

Amazingly they made the playoffs with that duo. We're almost there because of the age of this team but not that bad yet. I remember when Doig was a high rated prospect for the Jets (0riginal). Unlike then we'll have Ovechkin goal scoring record to watch and hope our top prospect turn out like the NYR players in Fox. Most importantly, we don't have McPhee in charge anymore and we have a cup!

Reactions: Calicaps

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Here's my view on the TDL. Don't make any moves unless it's a sure win. The current crew can get the job done if they play up to their potential. Yes, I like our goalies and don't want guys like Rittich. Best thing is to be healthy and motivated. Nothing I see on the list shows me worth anything a 1st round pick and we have the crew to do it now. It's up to the current crew to play well. Trading Vrana will haunt us if they do it hastily for garbage. It's got to be for someone who is part of the Caps future longterm.

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
expectations will be waaaaay down. I was here for the McPhee sell off.....I don’t have any scars.

Nah... it's like real estate prices, smooth going up and sticky coming down. It will take a long time before folks accept the suck.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Lets be fair. The board was apoplectic when Witt and Johansson....you know....actual NHL defensemen were benched for Kiwi and Doig. Were on the bench when Kiwi and Doig lost the Lightning series.

After the sell off, though,......

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Lets be fair. The board was apoplectic when Witt and Johansson....you know....actual NHL defensemen were benched for Kiwi and Doig. Were on the bench when Kiwi and Doig lost the Lightning series.

This game was Easter Sunday and I was there. They stopped selling food and drinks in the 3rd and it went into many OTs. Was so hungry and thristy by the time Martin St. Louis ended our season.

Also it was Butch Cassidy coaching with the awful D pairs in OT... We play Butch tonight with Boston short on D

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
This game was Easter Sunday and I was there. They stopped selling food and drinks in the 3rd and it went into many OTs. Was so hungry and thristy by the time Martin St. Louis ended our season.

Also it was Butch Cassidy coaching with the awful D pairs in OT... We play Butch tonight with Boston short on D
Likewise. I can’t describe how disappointed I was that day.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Cassidy. Leonsis finest hour

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I was at the game vs TB that went OT and Jagr took some b.s. call after being manhandled by those TB bigfoot clones whose names I've forgotten, and the crowd rained trash on the ice after the bogus loss.

Tickets were much easier to get after the firesale.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
If Schwartz is available and keeping Vrana past this season becomes prohibitively difficult maybe something around Vrana and Schwartz. He's 2 years removed from a very impressive cup run and could be another TJ Oshie but with wheels

Reactions: um

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

and yet we lived....

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If GMBM thinks they are already too old Id expect him to load up at deadline last time and then sell everyone not needed in the long run after playoffs.

There is D foundation, there are CMM, AP and maybe even HL down the middle, wingers could be bought, so there is a pretty big list of veteran guys who can be traded for assets.

A little dive next season or two and then it's CMM's team with some old guys from Ovi era.

Certainly giving space for Fever (dumping Dillon), Siege will not make it awful (if we arent going to contend next year anyway).

Trading Kuzy should provide assets to get good top-6 forward or two. Young and fast most preferably. Maybe if it's at draft they can get top pick or smth.

Oshie, I dont know. He could play as grizzled 3RW if there is competent top-6 RW for years to come.

They need solid top-6 LW too, if it's not Vrana. Honestly, at this point Sheary doesnt look lees effective overall than Vrana. They can go cheap enough and then rise if prospects progress well.

After thinking again... they should just give Vrana a chance and keep him at deadline (and keep as asset).
Then with Kuzy and Vrana and Oshie on the table they have pretty good chance to get back forwards for long term top-6 duty. Even 1 good guy will make it much better and cap space will be acquired too.

Left Wing after Summer

Ovechkin
top6-LW
someone like Sheary will be ok
Hags

long term depth: one of CMM/HL could end up here, Id prefer good LW drafted in the 1st round this year

Right Wing

Wilson
top6-RW
Oshie/Sprong
Hathaway

depth: certainly they are thin there, Wilson is not that young anymore too, draft another winger :P

Center

Backstrom
CMM
Eller
Dowd

depth: AP, HL

You can certainly fight for playoffs spot with this group and make passes to Ovechkin's island often enough.

Defense is in even better state long term because there are several solid prospects and current leaders arent old yet too.

We can watch such a roster. Maybe even dump Eller if there is some eager GM out there. No fear, guys.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If GMBM thinks they are already too old Id expect him to load up at deadline last time and then sell everyone not needed in the long run after playoffs.

There is D foundation, there are CMM, AP and maybe even HL down the middle, wingers could be bought, so there is a pretty big list of veteran guys who can be traded for assets.

A little dive next season or two and then it's CMM's team with some old guys from Ovi era.

Certainly giving space for Fever (dumping Dillon), Siege will not make it awful (if we arent going to contend next year anyway).

Trading Kuzy should provide assets to get good top-6 forward or two. Young and fast most preferably. Maybe if it's at draft they can get top pick or smth.

Oshie, I dont know. He could play as grizzled 3RW if there is competent top-6 RW for years to come.

They need solid top-6 LW too, if it's not Vrana. Honestly, at this point Sheary doesnt look lees effective overall than Vrana. They can go cheap enough and then rise if prospects progress well.

After thinking again... they should just give Vrana a chance and keep him at deadline (and keep as asset).
Then with Kuzy and Vrana and Oshie on the table they have pretty good chance to get back forwards for long term top-6 duty. Even 1 good guy will make it much better and cap space will be acquired too.

Left Wing after Summer

Ovechkin
top6-LW
someone like Sheary will be ok
Hags

long term depth: one of CMM/HL could end up here, Id prefer good LW drafted in the 1st round this year

Right Wing

Wilson
top6-RW
Oshie/Sprong
Hathaway

depth: certainly they are thin there, Wilson is not that young anymore too, draft another winger :P

Center

Backstrom
CMM
Eller
Dowd

depth: AP, HL

You can certainly fight for playoffs spot with this group and make passes to Ovechkin's island often enough.

Defense is in even better state long term because there are several solid prospects and current leaders arent old yet too.

We can watch such a roster. Maybe even dump Eller if there is some eager GM out there. No fear, guys.

upload_2021-4-8_20-55-57.gif

Reactions: TheLegendOfPatPeake

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If they fail this season, why would it be different next year with the same roster? I dont see how it could be possible. The trend is clear. At some point they need to retool at minimum.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Ive been busy. We are now talking about blowing it up? In first place and blowing it up? Wow
I don’t think we should blow it up, but standing pat is not an option either.

27 of 54 points against terrible teams. This is not a first place team.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t think we should blow it up, but standing pat is not an option either.

27 of 54 points against terrible teams. This is not a first place team.

I checked this before the game tonight. The Caps and Islanders have the same record against the other 3 teams. The Caps were 7-8 after playing 7 home and 8 road.

They almost never stand pat. They will lose a top half of the lineup guy in the ED. They walked away from their long time goalie this past off season. They added defensemen.

I am not going to overreact. Bruce just said their record is good. He wouldnt have messed with the lineup.

Not sure what we expected tonight with the lineup shuffled everywhere

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Ive been busy. We are now talking about blowing it up? In first place and blowing it up? Wow
They're not in first. Also, don't look now but they're six points out of fourth in the division and Boston has three games in hand. They also play Boston three more times. The top four seems pretty well established barring a collapse but it's really tightening up 1-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad