Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
overpay with CMM....Hertl has had one great season?

is he a 70 point + guy or a high 50s or low 60s point guy from here on out at 27?

As far as I'm concerned, if McMichael is not a major top-6 contributor next season, he is irrelevant.

Hertl is a legitimate top-6 center fill in that this team desperately needs and I have no concerns about him wilting away in the playoffs, as I do with Vrana.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
As far as I'm concerned, if McMichael is not a major top-6 contributor next season, he is irrelevant.

Hertl is a legitimate top-6 center fill in that this team desperately needs and I have no concerns about him wilting away in the playoffs, as I do with Vrana.

you expect him to be a “major top-6 contributor” next season at 20 or you’re done with him?

tough crowd.

what’s your top-9 look like with Hertl?

Reactions: Lobodomy and max21

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
you expect him to be a “major top-6 contributor” next season at 20 or you’re done with him?

tough crowd.

what’s your top-9 look like with Hertl?

You misunderstand me. I have nothing against McMichael and consider him a very valuable asset. However, his timeline simply does not align with Caps timeline. We'll have to wait for another ~3 seasons or more to see what this player really is and we simply don't have the time. On that note, there is not a single prospect or pick that I wouldn't trade away to make this team better for the next 3 years.

Hertl would take Vrana's spot in the top-6 and would be the insurance policy against injury to any of Backstrom/Kuznetsov/Eller. I'd re-sign him after next season long term with intention of him becoming one of the valuable trade blocks in the inevitable re-building process in 3-4 years.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
You misunderstand me. I have nothing against McMichael and consider him a very valuable asset. However, his timeline simply does not align with Caps timeline. We'll have to wait for another ~3 seasons or more to see what this player really is and we simply don't have the time. On that note, there is not a single prospect or pick that I wouldn't trade away to make this team better for the next 3 years.

Hertl would take Vrana's spot in the top-6 and would be the insurance policy against injury to any of Backstrom/Kuznetsov/Eller. I'd re-sign him after next season long term with intention of him becoming one of the valuable trade blocks in the inevitable re-building process in 3-4 years.
Why don't we have the time? What gives you the impression that Ovechkin is retiring at the end of next season? Doesn't he have a goal record to chase? Isn't it going to be better to do that on a consistently good, updated team?

Reactions: Calicaps

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Unlikely as it may be, have to throw this out there ... are they giving Carr a sweater tonight to showcase him as a component in a (minor) trade?

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Why don't we have the time? What gives you the impression that Ovechkin is retiring at the end of next season? Doesn't he have a goal record to chase? Isn't it going to be better to do that on a consistently good, updated team?

Because we are the oldest team in the league? Seems pretty obvious. I'm literally advocating giving Ovechkin MORE support and assembling a better group around him for the next 3-4 years.

Take Vrana as an example. This is his 4th season in the NHL and we are STILL trying to figure out what this player really is. It's still un-clear whether this player can be a key cog in a deep playoff run. That's the most likely timeline for McMichael and we don't have the time to see it through.

Caps have a problem with center depth. We have none. I'd like to see that issue fixed and fixed now, not in 3 years. Adding a player like Hertl would do it.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Because we are the oldest team in the league? Seems pretty obvious. I'm literally advocating giving Ovechkin MORE support and assembling a better group around him for the next 3-4 years.

Take Vrana as an example. This is his 4th season in the NHL and we are STILL trying to figure out what this player really is. It's still un-clear whether this player can be a key cog in a deep playoff run. That's the most likely timeline for McMichael and we don't have the time to see it through.

Caps have a problem with center depth. We have none. I'd like to see that issue fixed and fixed now, not in 3 years. Adding a player like Hertl would do it.
:huh:

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Wouldn’t McMicheal be a big part of the rebuilding process though? I understand getting the most out of this core because it might be the only chance for a while. LaPierre and McMicheal seem like ones you have to protect

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Based on the hysteria here while Caps are a top-5 team, I am officially declaring right now that when this team is actually bad again, post-Ovie era, I am retiring as an hf mod.
There won't be mods. Just feral posters spamming Chair Lady gifs and stats.

wdamfr2wmf711.jpg

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Wouldn’t McMicheal be a big part of the rebuilding process though? I understand getting the most out of this core because it might be the only chance for a while. LaPierre and McMicheal seem like ones you have to protect
You are correct. CMM, LaPierre, Fever, Alexeyev... these are the next Caps wave and we should not mortgage that future entirely. That said, if you have an opportunity to add a can't-fail piece to put the current roster over the top, you take it. Hertl is not that piece.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
You are correct. CMM, LaPierre, Fever, Alexeyev... these are the next Caps wave and we should not mortgage that future entirely. That said, if you have an opportunity to add a can't-fail piece to put the current roster over the top, you take it. Hertl is not that piece.
Since we're talking about the Sharks anyway, this is exactly how they made their last big playoff push. Thornton and Marleau in their mid 30's (Ovechkin and Backstrom, obviously), then the Couture/Pavelski wave (Kuznetsov and Vrana), and then a sudden boom of 20-22 year olds (Hertl, DeMelo, Donskoi, Tierney), all built around a core of 28-32 year old defensemen (Braun, Burns, Vlasic).

If you have to gamble anyway (and the nature of adding assets is always a gamble), gamble on your own young guys taking steps. If the window does close early, you always have the option of selling their primes for additional assets and jump starting your next window. If you're right, you already have the pieces for your next window instead of a bunch of guys ready to fall off a cliff or go find bigger contracts.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Since we're talking about the Sharks anyway, this is exactly how they made their last big playoff push. Thornton and Marleau in their mid 30's (Ovechkin and Backstrom, obviously), then the Couture/Pavelski wave (Kuznetsov and Vrana), and then a sudden boom of 20-22 year olds (Hertl, DeMelo, Donskoi, Tierney), all built around a core of 28-32 year old defensemen (Braun, Burns, Vlasic).

If you have to gamble anyway (and the nature of adding assets is always a gamble), gamble on your own young guys taking steps. If the window does close early, you always have the option of selling their primes for additional assets and jump starting your next window. If you're right, you already have the pieces for your next window instead of a bunch of guys ready to fall off a cliff or go find bigger contracts.
One could say the Sharks going all in for EK doomed the franchise. The Sens ended up with some high draft picks and prospects for damaged goods in EK

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Based on the hysteria here while Caps are a top-5 team, I am officially declaring right now that when this team is actually bad again, post-Ovie era, I am retiring as an hf mod.
I was actually thinking this during the loss to the Rangers. When this window is really closed, I will probably not be hanging out here because it will be unbearable.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
One could say the Sharks going all in for EK doomed the franchise. The Sens ended up with some high draft picks and prospects for damaged goods in EK
Yep. Swing and miss on your guys and before you know it the originals are wearing Maple Leafs jerseys.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I was actually thinking this during the loss to the Rangers. When this window is really closed, I will probably not be hanging out here because it will be unbearable.

expectations will be waaaaay down. I was here for the McPhee sell off.....I don’t have any scars.

If you can live through top pair Kiwi-Doig, you can live through anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->