Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I mean we all know he’s the next man up, but he needs to seize that role, not be gifted it on a contender.

this discussion is premature anyways....need to see how the playoffs go. Chara may want to retire...(after this Cup win). :)

also Fever is playing RD in Hershey. They seem to love his one timer on the right point.

The question is how many games or playoff births are you willing to lose in order to develop your in house prospects? The Caps could lose a Stanley Cup this season because they chose to go with kids in the net. At the same time they might be able to win a cup with kid goalies because of the stability that Chara provides

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Even if Chara comes back, we’re likely losing one of our top-6 in the ED or a trade for cap reasons. I can fully see Fever getting games next year, and probably spending time in Hershey when he isn’t in the lineup to keep him playing.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Even if Chara comes back, we’re likely losing one of our top-6 in the ED or a trade for cap reasons. I can fully see Fever getting games next year, and probably spending time in Hershey when he isn’t in the lineup to keep him playing.
doubt Chara comes back unless we go deep into the playoffs without a cup, he'll either retire on top of the hill or we just wont try and keep him if this version of the team is another first round bounce.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
doubt Chara comes back unless we go deep into the playoffs without a cup, he'll either retire on top of the hill or we just wont try and keep him if this version of the team is another first round bounce.
He wasn’t quite as old, but you could say the same about Orpik? He’d just won his second cup, his contract was bought out, and he didn’t have much left in the tank, but still came back for one more run. I suspect Chara’s still playing because he loves the game, more than because he won’t be satisfied upon retirement without a second ring. In which case I imagine, like Orpik, he’ll probably keep playing until he decided he physically can’t do it anymore.

That’s not to say he’d choose Washington again, or that the Caps would ask him back, of course. But I don’t sense his retirement is necessarily imminent.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Well I for one, am damn sure glad we've banked the points we do have because this division is about to be insane; with BOS getting hot the Top-4 are all going to be neck-and-neck-et-neck-und-neck in a few games

Rangers are white hot and trying to get in but they need to stay white hot the rest of the way
With NYR at 52 points and 11 gms left there's max 22 points left for them
With WSH at 62 points and 10 gms left there's max 20 points left
If WSH gets at least 50% of the points, Rangers need to go 10-1 or better to catch us

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
A view of the stretch drive:

bZDcoRz.jpg

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He wasn’t quite as old, but you could say the same about Orpik? He’d just won his second cup, his contract was bought out, and he didn’t have much left in the tank, but still came back for one more run. I suspect Chara’s still playing because he loves the game, more than because he won’t be satisfied upon retirement without a second ring. In which case I imagine, like Orpik, he’ll probably keep playing until he decided he physically can’t do it anymore.

That’s not to say he’d choose Washington again, or that the Caps would ask him back, of course. But I don’t sense his retirement is necessarily imminent.

I am confident that if his knee would have allowed it, that Orpik would have played another season. The team would have taken him.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia

yeah, regardless my point is i feel like chara with us is a one year wonder thing which was the point i was trying to make

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
yeah, regardless my point is i feel like chara with us is a one year wonder thing which was the point i was trying to make

I understand that, don’t worry. I’m just less convinced than you - he isn’t an obvious stop gap for us, we got him for his intangibles and ability. I wouldn’t be surprised if he returns.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I understand that, don’t worry. I’m just less convinced than you - he isn’t an obvious stop gap for us, we got him for his intangibles and ability. I wouldn’t be surprised if he returns.
if it wasnt for the LHD logjam we have in the pipeline i'd be more likely to agree, but alexeyev and fehervary cant stay in the ahl forever

Reactions: HecticGlow

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
if it wasnt for the LHD logjam we have in the pipeline i'd be more likely to agree, but alexeyev and fehervary cant stay in the ahl forever

I agree they shouldn’t, but how often does GMBM move on from vets purely to let young guys play? The Caps generally prefer for rookies to play their way into the lineup, unless they’re relied upon for cap reasons. If Dillon goes and Kempny stays, Chara would be good insurance even if Fever’s on the team. If both Dillon and Kempny are gone, even more so.

(fast forward 6 months: Dillon, Orlov, Chara, Kempny are all on the team, Fever’s in the AHL, Slingshot and Captain the dog are alternating in goal and we’re all scratching our heads.)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

The hit the locker room would take replacing Chara with Fehervary would be epic. I just dont think its a good idea to dump a player of Chara's stature for a kid. If you want to get the kid in the game, you find another way

Reactions: max21
Sep 19, 2008
Random positive Ovi feel good story today

"We went out for dinner in Tampa the night before that game. We were with Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Green. Ovechkin said to us: 'If I score tomorrow, I have to do something cool. What should I do?' I told him: 'When you score, invite all of your teammates to join you. Put your stick on the ice and warm your hands, like your stick's on fire.' If you look at the replay, he signals to the guys, but nobody came over," said Théodore with a laugh. "After the celebration, I teased him because I'd shown him to rub his hands together to demonstrate that his stick was on fire, but he looked more like Beethoven playing piano. I told him: 'I tip my hat to you. You weren't afraid of doing it, but it wasn't what I had in mind.'"

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

"We went out for dinner in Tampa the night before that game. We were with Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Green. Ovechkin said to us: 'If I score tomorrow, I have to do something cool. What should I do?' I told him: 'When you score, invite all of your teammates to join you. Put your stick on the ice and warm your hands, like your stick's on fire.' If you look at the replay, he signals to the guys, but nobody came over," said Théodore with a laugh. "After the celebration, I teased him because I'd shown him to rub his hands together to demonstrate that his stick was on fire, but he looked more like Beethoven playing piano. I told him: 'I tip my hat to you. You weren't afraid of doing it, but it wasn't what I had in mind.'"

When Ovy met Lebron, that’s how Lebron knew him, inventor of the hot stick

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Lol. OT but is that really a 김세정 profile pic?

Reactions: John Price

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
RMNB ventured too far out from what it was originally. At first it was supposed to be a blog telling the fun stories of Ovi and friends, but now they have this pretentious attitude that they know better and can prove to you mathematically why player X sucks.

Most of the time their analysis makes no sense and they are blindly referring to charts and heat maps posted by the hockey analytics community without putting the data into context.

It became clear to me that:
1. They don’t actually think for themselves or know how to interpret what they see.
2. They’ve likely never held a hockey stick in their lives.

Also their posts have taken a political spin in the past year or two, and one thing I don’t want to hear about from a hockey blogs is politics.

Bottom line is that RMNB is poop now, I agree.
Agree 100% I cant stand their takes and they just copy Novacaps feed alot.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
How do we feel about the power play? Ranks 2nd. Forsythe remains. The slingshot remains.
How Carlson executes the slingshot(it almost looks lazy and doesn't fool anyone) is what I have a problem with. Other players on the team who execute it actually sell it better by keep skating forward while executing a backhand back pass either to the side or through the legs.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
How Carlson executes the slingshot(it almost looks lazy and doesn't fool anyone) is what I have a problem with. Other players on the team who execute it actually sell it better by keep skating forward while executing a backhand back pass either to the side or through the legs.

In his defense (sort of...) he pretty much always looks like he's going 1/2 speed...

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I don't think the slingshot is about fooling anybody, at least not in the tricky sense.

I don't have a good metaphor for it with that exact feel but I consider it kind of like the option in football. Defensive players can read the option before the play, but they still have to pick a lane to fill and everyone has to fill the correct one to succeed. You can also run the option over and over to the point where it's not really a surprise anymore and still succeed with good reads.

The Caps' slingshot isn't a sleight of hand trick, it's an abuse of defensive angles. From the defensive angles on the central puck carrier and his A, B, and C options and then the trailing man's angle on those same A, B, and C options, when they do it right they don't really need to be sexy or flashy with it because it's just a near mathematical certainty that the delay will create favorable outcomes. Challenging the second pass effectively seems to open teams to controlled zone entries by the trailing man, too, so it's another element where the Capitals are asking the other team to pick its poison.

Sep 19, 2008
Anyone else beginning to find RMNB insufferable. That site is manic, it can’t decide if it wants to be an everlasting optimist or pessimist. For instance post Vrana is was all fluffy “crying for Vrana” and “we will not abide Vrana negative talk”. Meanwhile their Twitter account is always pro whipping boy (previously Jensen, currently Dillon).

Perhaps it irritates me because their influence has grown to the point that they’ve cultivated a real hive mind of those not so familiar with the game. Don’t get me wrong, Dillon has been pretty horrific at points, but it’s to the point now where every goal they peg on him and their replies are a sea of agreement. Jensen (who I maintain was good even when he was “bad”) still hasn’t recovered in the eyes of those blind followers who just want to say a guy sucks. RMNB started great but it’s created it’s own toxic bubble.
the knock against RMNB is that they had gotten more edgy and hot takey instead of sticking to journalism

japers is more rational imo

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
JapersRink is much better at analysis. RMNB is still fun to read though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad