Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Anyone else beginning to find RMNB insufferable. That site is manic, it can’t decide if it wants to be an everlasting optimist or pessimist. For instance post Vrana is was all fluffy “crying for Vrana” and “we will not abide Vrana negative talk”. Meanwhile their Twitter account is always pro whipping boy (previously Jensen, currently Dillon).

Perhaps it irritates me because their influence has grown to the point that they’ve cultivated a real hive mind of those not so familiar with the game. Don’t get me wrong, Dillon has been pretty horrific at points, but it’s to the point now where every goal they peg on him and their replies are a sea of agreement. Jensen (who I maintain was good even when he was “bad”) still hasn’t recovered in the eyes of those blind followers who just want to say a guy sucks. RMNB started great but it’s created it’s own toxic bubble.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Anyone else beginning to find RMNB insufferable. That site is manic, it can’t decide if it wants to be an everlasting optimist or pessimist. For instance post Vrana is was all fluffy “crying for Vrana” and “we will not abide Vrana negative talk”. Meanwhile their Twitter account is always pro whipping boy (previously Jensen, currently Dillon).

Perhaps it irritates me because their influence has grown to the point that they’ve cultivated a real hive mind of those not so familiar with the game. Don’t get me wrong, Dillon has been pretty horrific at points, but it’s to the point now where every goal they peg on him and their replies are a sea of agreement. Jensen (who I maintain was good even when he was “bad”) still hasn’t recovered in the eyes of those blind followers who just want to say a guy sucks. RMNB started great but it’s created it’s own toxic bubble.

RMNB ventured too far out from what it was originally. At first it was supposed to be a blog telling the fun stories of Ovi and friends, but now they have this pretentious attitude that they know better and can prove to you mathematically why player X sucks.

Most of the time their analysis makes no sense and they are blindly referring to charts and heat maps posted by the hockey analytics community without putting the data into context.

It became clear to me that:
1. They don’t actually think for themselves or know how to interpret what they see.
2. They’ve likely never held a hockey stick in their lives.

Also their posts have taken a political spin in the past year or two, and one thing I don’t want to hear about from a hockey blogs is politics.

Bottom line is that RMNB is poop now, I agree.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Might be so but this particular pizza was epic. You have to admit.

This will become a fruitful topic for conversation the moment opponents will learn how to score more goals from of an "epic" pizza compared to a "regular" one..

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
How do we feel about the power play? Ranks 2nd. Forsythe remains. The slingshot remains.

I see the Caps' top unit simply being less lazy and more practical - moving the puck around faster, shooting sooner. No wonder it's more effective.

As to what happened, since nothing else has changed, by default I would ascribe it to Lavi, he must've gotten through to the players not to treat the PP as a 2 minute vacation.

Jun 15, 2007
Since I see people talking about this...

I think we can infer the reason Chara isn't getting healthy scratched or minutes restricted is that it was part of the deal of him signing in Washington. Boston wanted to limit his minutes and scratch him in b2bs. He refused and that's why he's here playing every night.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I have no desire to see chara work through an 82 game season. Unless he is willing to take a lesser role I think this works out as a nice bridge and that’s it

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I have no desire to see chara work through an 82 game season. Unless he is willing to take a lesser role I think this works out as a nice bridge and that’s it

I’m sorry, but this is the same nonsensical idea that drove him out of Boston.

why the F would he have to take a reduced role until he’s actually outplayed?

Caps would be fools to not ask him back. That said, let’s wait and see how he performs when it really matters.

Reactions: txpd

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Thoughts on whether Chara comes back for another season?
They’ve got 7 guys signed for next season plus Fever and AA, whom they likely preferred to not trade to Red Wings over the 1st they traded.
But if he’ll come back for the minimum you make room.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
We can afford to give Chara playing time (if we move Dillon and Kempny), but not a raise (or only a very slight one).

If Chara is more concerned with playing time than money, then re-sign him by all means.

I guess one thing that this season has shown us so far is that the closing of the window may not be so imminent after all as we feared. There was some fear that this season might be it, but the guys are still performing, and perhaps performing even better than a year ago such as Backstrom and Kuzy.

It's possible that the window remains open for the entire duratiom of Laviolette’s tenure (3 year contract). Especially if guys like Mantha, Alexeyev, Fehervary and McMichael really start off strong (and the kid goalies improve of course which I'm expecting once they move past their rookie seasons).

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If the Caps committed to trading Dillon or Schultz (since they have similar salaries it makes the math easier) if they’re not taken in the expansion draft, replace a goalie with Copley if one were taken, assume a forward isn’t taken, wanted to carry 22 with McMichael or a UFA forward making the minimum, Samsonov makes 1.1M next year, and left Ovy unprotected with the idea of doing a 1 year deal spending to the cap, they could protect
Backstrom
Wilson
Mantha
Kuzy
Oshie
Eller
Sheary or Dowd
Carlson
Orlov
Jensen
Goalie
and could pay Ovy 8.6-9.1M plus however much the cap increases depending on if VV is on the roster and if they lost Dillon or Schultz.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
How do we feel about the power play? Ranks 2nd. Forsythe remains. The slingshot remains.

Forsythe was never the problem, the slingshot was never the problem. The problems was lackadaisical execution due to low effort level, which was on the players. The players have found their mojo again, now all those things we said needed to go, seem to work fine.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
As long as Chara is still one of their 6 best defensemen (he is I think), and as long as they're still trying to lock down a playoff spot (they are), and as long as he doesn't ask for a night off, they should play him.

If they do clinch, I'd be in favor of letting him get some rest.

His only relevant performance bonus was for 10 games played, so at this point there is no financial hit inherent in whether he plays or not.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
IMO the most impressive stat is 5-on-5 goals for. We are by far the best 5-on-5 offense in the league with 112 goals. Only 4 teams have over 100 and all of them are Cup contenders. Avs are 2nd with 103 goals so 9 behind.

Problem is while they are good offensively they are leaking a little to much in their own end compared to the other good teams with 87 against 5v5. Colorado who are 3rd have 66 against them 5vs5.

Of the teams in a playoffspot (P%). Only St Louis and Edmonton have more 5vs5 goal against them.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I’m sorry, but this is the same nonsensical idea that drove him out of Boston.

why the F would he have to take a reduced role until he’s actually outplayed?

Caps would be fools to not ask him back. That said, let’s wait and see how he performs when it really matters.

because he is by far the slowest guy on the ice, gets himself out of position more often then I carea guy to be, and will have to deal with even more games next year. He is a warrior, what looks like a great teammate, will give all he has, and has been an asset this year. I’m not taking that away. But let’s not act like he is in his prime.

If he understood that we wanted to play some of the kids a bit more and we wanted him to help mentor them? Yeah I’m all for it. But if he wants to play 82? I don’t know if that’s the right move. Also it depends on what happens in the ED/off-season with the other D/Ovie contract etc..

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
because he is by far the slowest guy on the ice, gets himself out of position more often then I carea guy to be, and will have to deal with even more games next year. He is a warrior, what looks like a great teammate, will give all he has, and has been an asset this year. I’m not taking that away. But let’s not act like he is in his prime.

If he understood that we wanted to play some of the kids a bit more and we wanted him to help mentor them? Yeah I’m all for it. But if he wants to play 82? I don’t know if that’s the right move. Also it depends on what happens in the ED/off-season with the other D/Ovie contract etc..
I will say, at some point they need to give Fever a chance. The guy has done everything he can at the AHL level and is ready for the big leagues. That being said, if Chara wants to come back, you bring him back.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Fehervary. In reality.

I mean we all know he’s the next man up, but he needs to seize that role, not be gifted it on a contender.

this discussion is premature anyways....need to see how the playoffs go. Chara may want to retire...(after this Cup win). :)

also Fever is playing RD in Hershey. They seem to love his one timer on the right point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad