Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My prediction: Samsonov is not available for at least some of the playoffs, so it ends up being Vanecek’s net by default whether he plays well or not. IS will get the benefit of the doubt from some here because he has so much potential and little chance to realise it, while others will feel like he isn’t durable and/or responsible and/or good enough and should be traded or exposed. The Caps will promptly send Seattle a pick so they take Schultz - clearing cap space but also reopening the hole at 2RD, and all these discussions were for nothing.

Prove me wrong, Sammy. Prove me wrong.

With kids hopefully read for LD you would think they would want the hole there. Not right defense unless you think TVR and Jenses are enough

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
With kids hopefully read for LD you would think they would want the hole there. Not right defense unless you think TVR and Jenses are enough

I didn’t say I was hoping that would be the outcome, just that Schultz likely agreed to a two year contract because of the Seattle risk, and GMBM may well have signed him with one eye on Seattle.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I didn’t say I was hoping that would be the outcome, just that Schultz likely agreed to a two year contract because of the Seattle risk, and GMBM may well have signed him with one eye on Seattle.
Or did so the same w Dillon. As the longer contract gives them more cost certainty.

Now that Siegs is gone, I they they resign Chara after the ED, and expose Dillon, Jensen, TVR.

possibly trade one of the young G’s, and probably lose Dillon or Jensen.

that’s my read, right now

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Or did so the same w Dillon. As the longer contract gives them more cost certainty.

Now that Siegs is gone, I they they resign Chara after the ED, and expose Dillon, Jensen, TVR.

possibly trade one of the young G’s, and probably lose Dillon or Jensen.

that’s my read, right now
This sounds right to me. I suppose they could lose a bottom 6 forward too, but those will be way easier for Seattle to find. Protect Sammy (probably) or VV. Trade the other. Expose Copley.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
My prediction, because Caps fans official hobby is overreacting to small sample sizes, is that Craig Anderson becomes the starting playoff goalie and leads us to a Cup.

Prove me wrong!
In the last 14 days, Vanecek has .934 SV% in 5 games played.
In the last 30 days, Vanecek has .918 SV% in 9 games played.
He has won 5 of the 9 games he's played. In one of the losses, he only allowed 1 goal.

So let's cut him a little slack; he had a bad game, that is all.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
i dont get the idea of trading one of the young goalies. I think we should roll with both of them unless we physically cant afford it/one is unhappy with their role, and they seem fine with switching on and off

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
In the last 14 days, Vanecek has .934 SV% in 5 games played.
In the last 30 days, Vanecek has .918 SV% in 9 games played.
He has won 5 of the 9 games he's played. In one of the losses, he only allowed 1 goal.

So let's cut him a little slack; he had a bad game, that is all.

Agreed, which is why I point out that Caps fans love to make big proclamations or long term decisions on tiny recent sample sizes.

Long term, both our goalies showed they belong in the NHL, can win a lot of games including stealing one here or there, are capable of shitting the bed on occasion, have some room to grow, and are fairly even overall. Neither of them are making the decisions easy for sure.

Reactions: 42 and Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
i dont get the idea of trading one of the young goalies. I think we should roll with both of them unless we physically cant afford it/one is unhappy with their role, and they seem fine with switching on and off
If we keep both, one will have to be exposed to the expansion draft and then we risk losing that guy for nothing. If you instead trade him, you at least get assets in return, and given the stats just shared, probably some decent assets at that. The whole reason for signing Copley to the extension in the first place was probably so he could be the exposure risk.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
If we keep both, one will have to be exposed to the expansion draft and then we risk losing that guy for nothing. If you instead trade him, you at least get assets in return, and given the stats just shared, probably some decent assets at that. The whole reason for signing Copley to the extension in the first place was probably so he could be the exposure risk.

We absolutely have the ability to negotiate some deal with the Krakers to take a skater, but it would cost us something vs trading one away and getting an asset back. Again, the decisions are not getting easier here.

GMBM: "Take Dillon and we will trade you a 4th for your 7th".

Seattle GM: "Dillon....
200w.gif

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
We absolutely have the ability to negotiate some deal with the Krakers to take a skater, but it would cost us something vs trading one away and getting an asset back. Again, the decisions are not getting easier here.

GMBM: "Take Dillon and we will trade you a 4th for your 7th".

Seattle GM: "Dillon....
200w.gif

Man.. I'm willing to wait and see before taking a stance on the Dillon re-signing.. but his AAV is more than Fehervary, Alexeyev and Nardella combined.. the 3 that he is blocking.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
we can trade with seattle which i think is very likely to move a certain someone who i dont think needs named.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

IMO the most impressive stat is 5-on-5 goals for. We are by far the best 5-on-5 offense in the league with 112 goals. Only 4 teams have over 100 and all of them are Cup contenders. Avs are 2nd with 103 goals so 9 behind.

PP and PK have been solid lately too. Need to fix up the defense and we should be fine heading into the Playoffs.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I said before they were a "sleeping giant" and now I think they're one good rallying cry away from a deep playoff run.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad