Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by Calicaps, Mar 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuznetsnow Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I don't think the 2021 1st is likely to amount to much one way or another but we don't really have any gaping holes or cap space to swing for an upgrade. Only thing I can really think of that could massively bump their performance is getting Ekholm and sending Dillon the other way but that would cost a hell of a lot more than a 1st. A veteran goalie would be nice but unless they get someone like Kuemper or Gibson it's still gonna be Samsonov going as the starter (hopefully at least since I'm more confident in him being able to steal games than VV, getting a Varly-Neuvy vibe from them).

Up front I'd really like to get Scott Laughton, he's been a beast actually brings what Foligno's past reputation that GMs will be buying suggests Foligno brings. Plus has W/C versatility and plays a physical game. And if we tap the Flyers might as well get Elliott as a 1B/C. But none of that fills a hole the way say Kempny did in 2018 or Fedorov in 2008

2. Misery74 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think we agree, I don’t think they’ll take him for free.

I don’t believe there will be any market for him with a flat cap, even in the offseason. It’s going to cost us something.

3. AlexBrovechkin8 Playoff chokers, they said.

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Because they get an asset or two to do it? Also if Torts is there next year, Panik seems like a guy that Torts would like.

Misery74 likes this.
  4. illicit Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Just curious on how people feel about a Vrana for Hall trade? Obviously he's not having a great year in Buffalo, but as a former Hart trophy winner you have to assume that this is simply a down season and that he hasn't fallen off that bad. It's a total longshot and Buffalo would need to retain some of his salary, but I could see how both teams would be interested.

5. Kuznetsnow Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Why would anyone trade for Richard Panik. What does he bring that justified getting him at 2.75 million over trying your luck with a Conor Sheary, Dominik Kahun, Carter Rowney or Carter Verhaeghe that the offseason will inevitably be littered with.

AussieCapsFan and IafrateOvie34 like this.
  6. searle Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Panik on waivers

7. IafrateOvie34 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Don't see him coming here, however Hall would fit in nicely especially with quality around him and a good coached team. The guy couldn't catch a break with injuries and bad teams.

8. Melkor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Hell no to this for a simple reason that Hall is an upcoming UFA. Had he been on a contract in 6-7M ballpark for another 2-3 years that would have been a different conversation and the trade would probably favor the Caps more. Hall is still pretty young and when you look at his and Vrana's track record it's not even close. But he's a UFA which means he's gone in a couple of months.

9. IafrateOvie34 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000

10. Misery74 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Would you trade Vrana and Panik for UFA Hall?

11. IafrateOvie34 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Sorry Kuz, I am on my iPad and my response is in your quote at the bottom. I'm not able to edit it.

12. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Photographer
    You either decide to bench the two kids and trade for a #1 that you are going to roll the dice with or you go with the kids. Spending assets to sit on the bench is a waste. I personally dont see the value in a veteran goaltender unless you see him as the #1 guy from the minute he walks into the dressing room. Thats just my thinking though

13. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Photographer
    How much of an asset do you give a team to take Panik? There is certainly something about this that I am not seeing.

14. Kuznetsnow Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Wrong thread lel

15. illicit Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That's fair, that's the main concern I have too. Now, if we could come to an agreement on an extension prior to the trade being completed, that would be a different story. For Buffalo, they're getting a young, 30 goal potential, RFA winger for a guy who's almost 100% likely to be gone at the end of the season if they don't trade him. For the Caps, we're getting a player that's as good, if not better, than Vrana's future potential. Hall has always been one of my favorite players, so I'm definitely grasping at straws here a bit, was just curious to hear other peoples thoughts.

16. WetHog Out to Lunch

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
  17. Misery74 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    This is a perfect example of how to dump Richard Panik.

18. illicit Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Sorry, not sure I follow here. Aren't we already dumping him by putting him on waivers? If no team claims him, why would any team trade for him?

19. Misery74 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Even by waiving him, we still eat the cap. Vrana is probably the best piece Buffalo could hope for in a Hall trade. To even it out a bit, they would need to take Panik.

im not saying we should do this, but this is probably the only way we could dump his salary.

20. illicit Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think we'll save just over 1M, similar to burying a contract in the AHL, but I get what you're saying now and I agree 100%.

21. Kuznetsnow Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Fleury/Murray, Holtby/Grubauer, Allen/Binnington.

Recent trends seem to favor platoon with a veteran acting as a stabilizing force when called upon (in Caps case running away with it).

Vasilevsky was the exception but that was a top 3 goalie in the league behind a team that would have probably carried late stage Holtby to a cup if it had to.

22. Kuznetsnow Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    If Vrana has to be the cap casualty that might be intriguing depending how much we think Hall can rebound on a winning team. I know he looked very good on the Coyotes last year according to their fans

23. TheLegendOfPatPeake Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    IF, big if, Vrana were to get moved you need a young-ish established player whom has term or is at the least an RFA. Vrana seems a lot for a guy who is going to be a UFA.

WanderingCapsFan likes this.
  24. AussieCapsFan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Tech Consultant
    Why is that a "very bad take?" Laine and Vrana are both under-performing players who are difficult to coach. They don't play defence, they don't play physical. They run hot and cold and end up being benched in an effort to give them a wake up call.
    Both are RFA's at the end of the season. Both have played 4 seasons - Laine has 147 goals in 337 games and Vrana has 75 goals in 281 games. The biggest difference is that Laine scored a third of his goals on the PP and Vrana only has 6.

Everything about Vrana screams Laine-lite.

The problem around here is that too many people come up with trade suggestions that they would like to see, without bothering to consider WHY the other team would make the trade....

25. Kuznetsnow Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    We have the flat cap, expansion draft, cap crunch, Vrana having arbitration rights etc. Upcoming draft is shit. Would not be surprised to lose him for less than full value. I'd rather pay Ovechkin than keep Vrana 100/100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.