Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I am with Friedman on this subject. 1st round picks are just too important in managing the flat salary cap for coming seasons for them to be traded for rentals.

I don't think the 2021 1st is likely to amount to much one way or another but we don't really have any gaping holes or cap space to swing for an upgrade. Only thing I can really think of that could massively bump their performance is getting Ekholm and sending Dillon the other way but that would cost a hell of a lot more than a 1st. A veteran goalie would be nice but unless they get someone like Kuemper or Gibson it's still gonna be Samsonov going as the starter (hopefully at least since I'm more confident in him being able to steal games than VV, getting a Varly-Neuvy vibe from them).

Up front I'd really like to get Scott Laughton, he's been a beast actually brings what Foligno's past reputation that GMs will be buying suggests Foligno brings. Plus has W/C versatility and plays a physical game. And if we tap the Flyers might as well get Elliott as a 1B/C. But none of that fills a hole the way say Kempny did in 2018 or Fedorov in 2008

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I see trading Panik, it just makes no sense for CBus to take him now. If they are willing to take his contract, they can have him now for nothing. In the off season there will be market for him.
I think we agree, I don’t think they’ll take him for free.

I don’t believe there will be any market for him with a flat cap, even in the offseason. It’s going to cost us something.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Panik is going to clear waivers. Why would someone take him in a trade and pay him what they would have had to if they had claimed him? My take is Panik is buried in the taxi squad for the rest of the regular. The Caps dont replace him on the active roster until they acquire someone new.
Because they get an asset or two to do it? Also if Torts is there next year, Panik seems like a guy that Torts would like.

Reactions: Misery74

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Just curious on how people feel about a Vrana for Hall trade? Obviously he's not having a great year in Buffalo, but as a former Hart trophy winner you have to assume that this is simply a down season and that he hasn't fallen off that bad. It's a total longshot and Buffalo would need to retain some of his salary, but I could see how both teams would be interested.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Why would anyone trade for Richard Panik. What does he bring that justified getting him at 2.75 million over trying your luck with a Conor Sheary, Dominik Kahun, Carter Rowney or Carter Verhaeghe that the offseason will inevitably be littered with.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Just curious on how people feel about a Vrana for Hall trade? Obviously he's not having a great year in Buffalo, but as a former Hart trophy winner you have to assume that this is simply a down season and that he hasn't fallen off that bad. It's a total longshot and Buffalo would need to retain some of his salary, but I could see how both teams would be interested.

Don't see him coming here, however Hall would fit in nicely especially with quality around him and a good coached team. The guy couldn't catch a break with injuries and bad teams.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Hell no to this for a simple reason that Hall is an upcoming UFA. Had he been on a contract in 6-7M ballpark for another 2-3 years that would have been a different conversation and the trade would probably favor the Caps more. Hall is still pretty young and when you look at his and Vrana's track record it's not even close. But he's a UFA which means he's gone in a couple of months.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
They should shoehorn him into Panik-Dowd-Hathaway and see if that line can channel Stephenson-Beagle-DSP. They're all on the same page with playing a heavy game even if Panik's is more draping people than blowing them up

Ovechkin-Kuz-Oshie
Vrana-Backstrom-Wilson
Hagelin-Eller-Sheary/Sprong
Panik-Dowd-Hathaway

If they can't get rid of him, I'm fine with fourth line duty although I like the chemistry of the HDH line. He has the size, shown he can hit, and sometimes goes to the net.

Probably the best they can go for right now

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Hell no to this for a simple reason that Hall is an upcoming UFA. Had he been on a contract in 6-7M ballpark for another 2-3 years that would have been a different conversation and the trade would probably favor the Caps more. Hall is still pretty young and when you look at his and Vrana's track record it's not even close. But he's a UFA which means he's gone in a couple of months.
Would you trade Vrana and Panik for UFA Hall?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think the 2021 1st is likely to amount to much one way or another but we don't really have any gaping holes or cap space to swing for an upgrade. Only thing I can really think of that could massively bump their performance is getting Ekholm and sending Dillon the other way but that would cost a hell of a lot more than a 1st. A veteran goalie would be nice but unless they get someone like Kuemper or Gibson it's still gonna be Samsonov going as the starter (hopefully at least since I'm more confident in him being able to steal games than VV, getting a Varly-Neuvy vibe from them).

Up front I'd really like to get Scott Laughton, he's been a beast actually brings what Foligno's past reputation that GMs will be buying suggests Foligno brings. Plus has W/C versatility and plays a physical game. And if we tap the Flyers might as well get Elliott as a 1B/C. But none of that fills a hole the way say Kempny did in 2018 or Fedorov in 2008

You either decide to bench the two kids and trade for a #1 that you are going to roll the dice with or you go with the kids. Spending assets to sit on the bench is a waste. I personally dont see the value in a veteran goaltender unless you see him as the #1 guy from the minute he walks into the dressing room. Thats just my thinking though

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver

That's fair, that's the main concern I have too. Now, if we could come to an agreement on an extension prior to the trade being completed, that would be a different story. For Buffalo, they're getting a young, 30 goal potential, RFA winger for a guy who's almost 100% likely to be gone at the end of the season if they don't trade him. For the Caps, we're getting a player that's as good, if not better, than Vrana's future potential. Hall has always been one of my favorite players, so I'm definitely grasping at straws here a bit, was just curious to hear other peoples thoughts.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
That's fair, that's the main concern I have too. Now, if we could come to an agreement on an extension prior to the trade being completed, that would be a different story. For Buffalo, they're getting a young, 30 goal potential, RFA winger for a guy who's almost 100% likely to be gone at the end of the season if they don't trade him. For the Caps, we're getting a player that's as good, if not better, than Vrana's future potential. Hall has always been one of my favorite players, so I'm definitely grasping at straws here a bit, was just curious to hear other peoples thoughts.
This is a perfect example of how to dump Richard Panik.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Sorry, not sure I follow here. Aren't we already dumping him by putting him on waivers? If no team claims him, why would any team trade for him?
Even by waiving him, we still eat the cap. Vrana is probably the best piece Buffalo could hope for in a Hall trade. To even it out a bit, they would need to take Panik.

im not saying we should do this, but this is probably the only way we could dump his salary.

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Even by waiving him, we still eat the cap. Vrana is probably the best piece Buffalo could hope for in a Hall trade. To even it out a bit, they would need to take Panik.

im not saying we should do this, but this is probably the only way we could dump his salary.

I think we'll save just over 1M, similar to burying a contract in the AHL, but I get what you're saying now and I agree 100%.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
You either decide to bench the two kids and trade for a #1 that you are going to roll the dice with or you go with the kids. Spending assets to sit on the bench is a waste. I personally dont see the value in a veteran goaltender unless you see him as the #1 guy from the minute he walks into the dressing room. Thats just my thinking though

Fleury/Murray, Holtby/Grubauer, Allen/Binnington.

Recent trends seem to favor platoon with a veteran acting as a stabilizing force when called upon (in Caps case running away with it).

Vasilevsky was the exception but that was a top 3 goalie in the league behind a team that would have probably carried late stage Holtby to a cup if it had to.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019

If Vrana has to be the cap casualty that might be intriguing depending how much we think Hall can rebound on a winning team. I know he looked very good on the Coyotes last year according to their fans

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.

IF, big if, Vrana were to get moved you need a young-ish established player whom has term or is at the least an RFA. Vrana seems a lot for a guy who is going to be a UFA.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Yeah like I said, I think it would be a horrendous trade for Washington. I was commenting to the poster who said Columbus wouldn’t want to do that because Vrana is Laine-lite... I think that’s a very bad take.

Panik + B prospect/mid round pick sounds terrific to me.

Why is that a "very bad take?" Laine and Vrana are both under-performing players who are difficult to coach. They don't play defence, they don't play physical. They run hot and cold and end up being benched in an effort to give them a wake up call.
Both are RFA's at the end of the season. Both have played 4 seasons - Laine has 147 goals in 337 games and Vrana has 75 goals in 281 games. The biggest difference is that Laine scored a third of his goals on the PP and Vrana only has 6.

Everything about Vrana screams Laine-lite.

The problem around here is that too many people come up with trade suggestions that they would like to see, without bothering to consider WHY the other team would make the trade....

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
IF, big if, Vrana were to get moved you need a young-ish established player whom has term or is at the least an RFA. Vrana seems a lot for a guy who is going to be a UFA.

We have the flat cap, expansion draft, cap crunch, Vrana having arbitration rights etc. Upcoming draft is shit. Would not be surprised to lose him for less than full value. I'd rather pay Ovechkin than keep Vrana 100/100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad