Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Both have near zero value.

Bennett doesn't have great value either but I think Calgary could trade him for Virtanen to give both a fresh start and avoid quarantines too.
You seem to think most anyone not in top 6F or top 4D don’t have “any value”

jensen has value. He’s a top 6 on almost all teams, save maybe a handful. LuJo has been injured — a LOT — and sure he’s fallen far since his draft time, but he’s your no risk reclamation project. I think Jensen and Bennett are very similar in value.

but that’s fine

Jun 15, 2007
You seem to think most anyone not in top 6F or top 4D don’t have “any value”

jensen has value. He’s a top 6 on almost all teams, save maybe a handful. LuJo has been injured — a LOT — and sure he’s fallen far since his draft time, but he’s your no risk reclamation project. I think Jensen and Bennett are very similar in value.

but that’s fine

Anyone not in the top6f or top4d with a big contract has no value. Jensen has value if you look at his best games, negative if you look at his worst. Overall, he has limited value, depending on how the observer values him.

Lujo just passed waivers. He has zero value.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
You think Ottawa is giving us a second round pick for Hagelin or Panik? Ottawa would have to be insane to do that. At most they have zero value. Pessimistically they are negative value.
Yeah, I was just joking/taking a dig at Ottawa for trading a second for Stepan at the end of the offseason, which I personally thought was a terrible trade given the market at the time and Stepan’s cap hit/recent production.

Reactions: 895

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone not in the top6f or top4d with a big contract has no value. Jensen has value if you look at his best games, negative if you look at his worst. Overall, he has limited value, depending on how the observer values him.

Lujo just passed waivers. He has zero value.
How much value do you think Bennett has, exactly?

lots and lots of players pass thru waivers. That’s not relevant here. All that means is that no team wanted to add LuJo to their big squad, at this point in his career. That’s a totally flawed mindset.

Jun 15, 2007
How much value do you think Bennett has, exactly?

lots and lots of players pass thru waivers. That’s not relevant here. All that means is that no team wanted to add LuJo to their big squad, at this point in his career. That’s a totally flawed mindset.

He also has limited value but it's higher than Jensen's since he isn't hindered by a contract with term.

LuJo has zero value. He's now in his d+5 year with no improvement. No one wants him. There are undrafted free agents teams can sign with more promise than him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Dealing Panik just opens up one hole to close another. Gotta be our 8th D. Jensen. Jensen and a future (3rd?) for a Connolly and 300k retained. Send down Sprong.

Panik and Jensen make effectively the same buck. Its just a detail. None of these trades are going to happen. Whether its Panik(who Laviolette loves) or Jensen really doesnt matter

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well, it does matter if it could actually happen. Swapping wingers seems pointless. Adding a winger for a defenseman isn’t pointless

I could make the case and I think MacLellan has already made the case that he loaded up on defensemen because he needed them to play. So far he has already needed #s 7 and 8. Had he thought #s 9 and 10 were just as good, he would have used them.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I'll take a pass on Conno. I appreciate his past contributions and thankful, however I'm looking forward to the future. Panik has been great so far this season.

Would like to see some more offence from Panik (getting his 1st goal last night is a start, hopefully). Great work ethic, though. He's been putting in the effort game in and game out.

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Sigh - typical Caps board. 9 games into the season, equal 1st in the league with Toronto (with a game in hand), a team which has stepped up despite the various challenges, injuries etc....

And people are talking trades :sarcasm:
I mean, this isn't panic-trading tho. There are guys out for an indeterminate period... Zero word on Kuzy for instance... And there are some potentially interesting pieces that could be available. You always wanna look to make the team better and deeper and more well-balanced if the opportunity is there.

Last edited:

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I mean, this isn't panic-trading tho. There are guys out for an indeterminate period... Zero word on Kuzy for instance... And there are some potentially interesting pieces that could be available. You always wanna look to make the team better and deeper and more well-balanced if the oppo2is there.

Some of the talk IS Panik trading :laugh:

I guess looking to move a forward for a forward is one thing - but suggesting we get rid of a D for a forward is just a bad idea. We have 8 D's and one of them (Chara) shouldn't be expected to play every single game. Need to make sure players are rested for the playoffs, and it's inevitable
there will be injuries to D's, so I think a team should always have 8 NHL calibre D's available (or the 8th should be as close to NHL calibre as possible).

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Some of the talk IS Panik trading :laugh:

I guess looking to move a forward for a forward is one thing - but suggesting we get rid of a D for a forward is just a bad idea. We have 8 D's and one of them (Chara) shouldn't be expected to play every single game. Need to make sure players are rested for the playoffs, and it's inevitable
there will be injuries to D's, so I think a team should always have 8 NHL calibre D's available (or the 8th should be as close to NHL calibre as possible).
luckily for us we have 8 + at least 1 who can play if absolutely necessary

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I could make the case and I think MacLellan has already made the case that he loaded up on defensemen because he needed them to play. So far he has already needed #s 7 and 8. Had he thought #s 9 and 10 were just as good, he would have used them.
He did — and then Chara fell into his lap. I’d argue they had their depth and then the ultimate warrior decided to come to town and now then are almost too full.

I know you like Jensen. You always have. But I’d love to take the 2.5m slot and give it to a Winger. Then use the 750k slot of the denoted winger on another Vet d-man. There will be plenty available as the season goes.

Caps get rid of a contract they don’t need, and better set themselves up for the season.

unless you somehow think Jensen is somehow important? Which maybe you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino