Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
luckily for us we have 8 + at least 1 who can play if absolutely necessary

As far as our D depth goes - this is how I see it:

Dillon Carlson
Orlov Schultz
Chara TVR

Seigs Jensen

Fever - not NHL calibre yet so would only get used as a last resort.

I feel like I'm being unfair to Jensen - was he one of our few good D's under Rierden? Perhaps I've forgotten. I still think TVR is more dependable and slightly more experienced.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I could make the case and I think MacLellan has already made the case that he loaded up on defensemen because he needed them to play. So far he has already needed #s 7 and 8. Had he thought #s 9 and 10 were just as good, he would have used them.
They don't need 9/10 to be as good, just good enough to where the trade-off is worthwhile.

Their depth forwards have been fine so there's no big urgency (like I said, unless 92/20 aren't due back soon). But if MacLellan likes the player it stands to reason a third-liner should carry more value than what may now be a reserve D. I don't think MacLellan consciously loaded up on D. Chara was just an opportunity he couldn't pass up.

D depth is important but between Fehervary, LaDue and potentially Alexeyev once his season is over it makes Jensen the most likely subtraction in any trade IMO. Structurally it may become essential to move the contract in order to retain TVR or possibly even Chara for another go. I wouldn't bat an eyelash at moving Panik but his compete level is likely valued. In the right deal Jensen will be the one that goes...all the more likely should TVR play well and routinely get games over him.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
They don't need 9/10 to be as good, just good enough to where the trade-off is worthwhile.

Their depth forwards have been fine so there's no big urgency (like I said, unless 92/20 aren't due back soon). But if MacLellan likes the player it stands to reason a third-liner should carry more value than what may now be a reserve D. I don't think MacLellan consciously loaded up on D. Chara was just an opportunity he couldn't pass up.

D depth is important but between Fehervary, LaDue and potentially Alexeyev once his season is over it makes Jensen the most likely subtraction in any trade IMO. Structurally it may become essential to move the contract in order to retain TVR or possibly even Chara for another go. I wouldn't bat an eyelash at moving Panik but his compete level is likely valued. In the right deal Jensen will be the one that goes...all the more likely should TVR play well and routinely get games over him.
Big fan of TVR thus far. Does everything OK which makes him a valuable third pair d-man.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
As far as our D depth goes - this is how I see it:

Dillon Carlson
Orlov Schultz
Chara TVR

Seigs Jensen

Fever - not NHL calibre yet so would only get used as a last resort.

I feel like I'm being unfair to Jensen - was he one of our few good D's under Rierden? Perhaps I've forgotten. I still think TVR is more dependable and slightly more experienced.
Fever is def NHL caliber. He just happens to be on a team with 8 NHL d-men in front of him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He did — and then Chara fell into his lap. I’d argue they had their depth and then the ultimate warrior decided to come to town and now then are almost too full.

I know you like Jensen. You always have. But I’d love to take the 2.5m slot and give it to a Winger. Then use the 750k slot of the denoted winger on another Vet d-man. There will be plenty available as the season goes.

Caps get rid of a contract they don’t need, and better set themselves up for the season.

unless you somehow think Jensen is somehow important? Which maybe you do?

I frankly havent a clue how the team feels about Jensen. They seem comfortable letting Fehervary wait another year.

This isnt about liking or not. I dont care. I also dont know. Jensen and Chara seemed great. Then TVR took the spot in the lineup. I have no idea

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Any idea when Samsonov will be back? And would he start getting most of the starts right away? Thanks.

Let me guess: he's in your fantasy league and you're wondering whether to pick him up? :laugh:

I believe the answer re: Samsonov is - he tested positive for COVID so we don't know how long before he can resume play. It's unlikely he is going to be thrown back in right away as the starter, especially given how well our "backup" Vanacek has been playing.
Samsonov is going to have to earn his starts (IMO).

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Let me guess: he's in your fantasy league and you're wondering whether to pick him up? :laugh:

I believe the answer re: Samsonov is - he tested positive for COVID so we don't know how long before he can resume play. It's unlikely he is going to be thrown back in right away as the starter, especially given how well our "backup" Vanacek has been playing.
Samsonov is going to have to earn his starts (IMO).
Close. The guy I’m matched up against next week picked up Samsonov, so I’m thinking of picking up Vanecek :laugh:

Anyways, thank you for the info.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Close. The guy I’m matched up against next week picked up Samsonov, so I’m thinking of picking up Vanecek :laugh:

Anyways, thank you for the info.

Well - if by "next week" you mean today onwards, then I think Vanacek will get most of the starts, since Samsonov isn't game ready. He will likely need to return to practice etc (which he still hasn't done because of covid), so I can't see him getting a game until later this week.
If you are talking about next week - like Feb 8th onwards - then Samsonov is likely to be well and truly competing for that starting job with Vanacek, and will get more games (unless he sucks).

Reactions: elitepete

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Well - if by "next week" you mean today onwards, then I think Vanacek will get most of the starts, since Samsonov isn't game ready. He will likely need to return to practice etc (which he still hasn't done because of covid), so I can't see him getting a game until later this week.
If you are talking about next week - like Feb 8th onwards - then Samsonov is likely to be well and truly competing for that starting job with Vanacek, and will get more games (unless he sucks).
Yeah my bad, I meant this week. I picked up Vanecek.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan
Sep 19, 2008

Laviolette was fired by the Predators in January 2020 and spent more than eight months out of work. "I had nothing to do, so I watched everything there is to watch," Laviolette said. "'Cobra Kai' came up, and my wife and I went through all of the episodes. It was about all the characters we remember from 'Karate Kid,' and there was a scene where they talked about offense, and staying on the offense and all you think about -- I thought that was cool. That's how you'd want your team to play. The more I thought about it, the more the story went on, and you get into the two dojos, the Miyagi dojo being all about defense and patience. And I thought, it's sometimes hard for the defensemen, the penalty killers and the role players to get acknowledgement for how important they were in the room."

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Laviolette was fired by the Predators in January 2020 and spent more than eight months out of work. "I had nothing to do, so I watched everything there is to watch," Laviolette said. "'Cobra Kai' came up, and my wife and I went through all of the episodes. It was about all the characters we remember from 'Karate Kid,' and there was a scene where they talked about offense, and staying on the offense and all you think about -- I thought that was cool. That's how you'd want your team to play. The more I thought about it, the more the story went on, and you get into the two dojos, the Miyagi dojo being all about defense and patience. And I thought, it's sometimes hard for the defensemen, the penalty killers and the role players to get acknowledgement for how important they were in the room."

I love this:

The coolest thing, Oshie said, is how willing Chara is to adapt; big Zee is still willing to learn in his 23rd NHL season.

"[Chara] came up to me on the bike the other night. I don't really ride the bike that much, to be honest with you," Oshie said. "And he was like 'Hey, what are you doing?' And I told him what I was thinking, and he said, 'Yeah, OK. I'll do that too.' After games he's always like, 'Osh, what are you thinking?' and he'll do it too. I'm obviously lifting slightly lighter weights than him, but it's been really cool to see his approach."

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Emily Kaplan was also the journalist that first came out with the rumors of a locker room rift between Reirden and the Caps, so cool to see her report how Laviolette and the Caps are coming together.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So there’s no report or anything, just your take on the situation? Could be. Could also just be looking to shake things up. Travis Konecny was healthy scratched this weekend but I imagine he’s not available for cheap.

Not even my take. Just a note. Q apparantly doesnt like him. Low toi. No pp toi. Then the scratch. It adds up. Then Connolly's non Caps past

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I love this:

The coolest thing, Oshie said, is how willing Chara is to adapt; big Zee is still willing to learn in his 23rd NHL season.

"[Chara] came up to me on the bike the other night. I don't really ride the bike that much, to be honest with you," Oshie said. "And he was like 'Hey, what are you doing?' And I told him what I was thinking, and he said, 'Yeah, OK. I'll do that too.' After games he's always like, 'Osh, what are you thinking?' and he'll do it too. I'm obviously lifting slightly lighter weights than him, but it's been really cool to see his approach."

You get the feeling that Boston took Chara for granted. I wonder if watching him with the Capitals is reminding them of what they gave away?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
You get the feeling that Boston took Chara for granted. I wonder if watching him with the Capitals is reminding them of what they gave away?

Their young defensemen are so far holding up well, and they seem pleased with how the team is playing. Before they played us on Saturday, they only gave up more than 2 goals in a game just once so far.

My feeling is that the Bruins organization and fans love Chara and all he did for them, but they knew it was time to move on. They actually seem genuinely happy that it is working out well so far for everyone. A win-win-win situation all around with the Bruins, Caps, and Chara.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm not really too worried about lines during a period where 20 and 92 are injured. Vrana on the 4th line is fine, especially if he's still on the PP.

But:

Deserved demotion.

I do not not agree with this framing at all. He's still producing and better yet he's not giving up goals against while he is on the ice. He's at 80% GF and only giving up 1 GA/60.

Like I said, it's fine that he's on the 4th line for now. But it's not because he "deserves" it.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I do not not agree with this framing at all. He's still producing and better yet he's not giving up goals against while he is on the ice. He's at 80% GF and only giving up 1 GA/60.

Like I said, it's fine that he's on the 4th line for now. But it's not because he "deserves" it.
I do not agree with your disagreement. He's been garbage and a perimeter player. As for producing, he has one point in his last four games and his GA is bouyed by a high save % relative to his teammates. Go over the game logs from the last four or five games and tell me he's not deserving of a kick in the ass. From where I was watching, he was the worst player on the ice against Boston.

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad