Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I wasn’t a fan of the way Lavi handled McMichael in his first game. He had a bad shift and from there eyes Lavi over reacted to a small sample size. I would’ve like to have seen him put him in a position to build his confidence by giving him another chance instead of banishing him to the taxi squad and now Hershey. I think he belongs in Hershey right now but just don’t like the way it unfolded but just my 2 cents from an outsiders perspective.
He played the whole game and didn’t get benched. He was never going to play big minutes so people are over reading the shifts IMO. Lavy afterwards said he did well. He is t ready, that doesn’t mean he is in a dog house.

Reactions: racingmoose

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
He played the whole game and didn’t get benched. He was never going to play big minutes so people are over reading the shifts IMO. Lavy afterwards said he did well. He is t ready, that doesn’t mean he is in a dog house.
I was gonna say...he played plenty that game, and didn’t really notice he was benched if at all. He continued to take shifts into the third. Maybe he got skipped over for a shift here and there but he wasn’t benched for the rest of the game

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I was gonna say...he played plenty that game, and didn’t really notice he was benched if at all. He continued to take shifts into the third. Maybe he got skipped over for a shift here and there but he wasn’t benched for the rest of the game
he literally played 10 minutes and had one shift in the third...

Reactions: um

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Sam Bennett seeking a trade out of Calgary. $2.5M cap hit this year then he's a RFA. He prefers center but has played mostly wing and still only 24 years old. Not much of a scoring touch right now but he's got room for development and plays with a bit of a mean streak too that could fit in here.

I'd kick the tires on him and see if we can't have success with another reclamation project, especially given the issues we have with center depth at the moment. Salary would obviously have to go back to Calgary in a deal... maybe Panik + 3rd?
I’d rather someone like Jensen. Exact same salaries. And we have Fever and AA to plug in.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sam Bennett seeking a trade out of Calgary. $2.5M cap hit this year then he's a RFA. He prefers center but has played mostly wing and still only 24 years old. Not much of a scoring touch right now but he's got room for development and plays with a bit of a mean streak too that could fit in here.

I'd kick the tires on him and see if we can't have success with another reclamation project, especially given the issues we have with center depth at the moment. Salary would obviously have to go back to Calgary in a deal... maybe Panik + 3rd?

Dont they already have Sprong and Sheary? Has Panik been really good since camp?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Apologies as I am sure this has been asked, but do you guys expect Vanecek to keep the starting job once Samsonov is back?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Dont they already have Sprong and Sheary? Has Panik been really good since camp?
I like Sprong and Sheary but can either play center? Are either of them young, former #4 overall picks?

Panik has been fine but I don't think he justifies taking up $2.75M for the next three seasons given what he's produced so far.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Apologies as I am sure this has been asked, but do you guys expect Vanecek to keep the starting job once Samsonov is back?

Hard to tell but it seems probable at this point, at least for the near term future. Lavi said Samsonov and Vanecek would get equal playing time early in the season and whoever was better would play more moving forward. Samsonov then went and got the 'Rona and Vanecek has been real solid so the job seems his to lose. That said, neither guy's role is written in ink and I imagine they're going to want to get Samsonov in there once he gets back to get him going as well.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

He's 7 years separated from his draft. At this point I don't believe he can regain a scoring touch that would justify even moving your hand to pick up the phone to check what's the price.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He's 7 years separated from his draft. At this point I don't believe he can regain a scoring touch that would justify even moving your hand to pick up the phone to check what's the price.
Fun fact: Lars Eller was nine years separated from his draft and had almost identical stats as Bennett has had when we traded for him. Bennett was developed under one of the worst coaches to walk a bench in some time in Glen Gulutzan. Fit and situation matter and he seems like a solid change-of-scenery candidate so, yeah, I don't agree with you here but understand why you might not agree.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I like Sprong and Sheary but can either play center? Are either of them young, former #4 overall picks?

Panik has been fine but I don't think he justifies taking up $2.75M for the next three seasons given what he's produced so far.

Sprong is 23. If Panik isnt worth his check, why would Calgary want him? Get Bennett to play as a scratch behind Dowd? Put him on the 3rd/2nd line with Eller/Oshie?

Just looking for why it makes sense.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fun fact: Lars Eller was nine years separated from his draft and had almost identical stats as Bennett has had when we traded for him. Bennett was developed under one of the worst coaches to walk a bench in some time in Glen Gulutzan. Fit and situation matter and he seems like a solid change-of-scenery candidate so, yeah, I don't agree with you here but understand why you might not agree.

When the Caps got Eller he was playing a consistent brand of hockey. He wasnt in his second straight season of struggling. But, ok. He is Lars Eller 2.0. The Caps had a hole at center when they got Eller. Still looking for why the Caps want him and how they would use him?

Then there is the obvious team chemistry.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
he literally played 10 minutes and had one shift in the third...
10 minutes still seems decent for his first NHL game and he had three shifts in the 3rd including a couple in the last 5 minutes in a tie game so I wouldn’t call that a guy who was benched. But his ice time was scaled back as the game went on

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
This probably won’t happen but Samsonov needs games and I wouldn’t be opposed if he got a stretch in Hershey for February. But given quarantine rules, I wonder if that’s even feasible.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
When the Caps got Eller he was playing a consistent brand of hockey. He wasnt in his second straight season of struggling. But, ok. He is Lars Eller 2.0. The Caps had a hole at center when they got Eller. Still looking for why the Caps want him and how they would use him?

That's not entirely accurate. Eller played all over the lineup including solid spells on the 4th line the year before Washington got him which is why he was available in the first place. He was a pretty polarizing player in Montreal with some fans thinking he had a lot of untapped potential and some thinking he was good as he was going to get. The trade was met with mixed reception as well. People essentially viewed Andrew Shaw -- who was acquired in a subsequent trade -- as an upgrade on Eller.

Bennett has been one of Calgary's best playoff performers and was terrific during the bubble. His brand of hockey is ideally suited to playoff hockey and one of the reasons he requested a trade is because Calgary promised him more opportunity after his showing in the bubble but he's only averaging 14 minutes TOI this year. Thinking the Caps could use more guys who show up in the playoffs instead of disappear and center depth is never a bad thing, plus they could get salary cap flexibility out of it.

Younger and cheaper with higher a higher ceiling moving forward and a track record of showing up in the playoffs seem like decent reasons the Caps could use him.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Because more center depth is better than less? We have our 1/2RW playing 2C right now. Our 2C maybe has the 'rona and is lacking in give-a-shit. Our 3C maybe has a concussion and has skated about 5 minutes in a no-contact sweater since getting run into the boards.

Sprong, Sheary, and Panik are all somewhat interchangeable pieces at wing.

I don't really get your point.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's not entirely accurate. Eller played all over the lineup including solid spells on the 4th line the year before Washington got him which is why he was available in the first place. He was a pretty polarizing player in Montreal with some fans.

I know all about that. He was a consistent 25pt player during that run in Montreal. The issue was people expected a 2c out of him. The Caps made it clear his job here was as a 3c and that helped settle him.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
Sure we would all love to dump our poop contracts lol....Jensen, Hags, Panik....not moveable without some pain IMO.
I mean, if the Caps really wanted to move one of those players, I’m sure Ottawa would be willing to part with a future second round pick or some such. They did it for Stepan, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->