Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Regular Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
So tonight we could have 7 rookies in the lineup, including 3 of 4 centers, a defensive corp where Nick Jensen is one of our best d-men and we have two inexperienced, young goaltenders in net.

Imagine telling someone a few years ago this could be our lineup in 2021 and convincing them we weren’t a rebuilder team :eek:

Reactions: Calicaps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
What is going to be funny is when Oshie, Backstrom, and Dowd come back and we don’t play as well. People here will be saying we should have let Oshie go to Seattle, Backstrom should be traded, and wtf did we resign Dowd.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What is going to be funny is when Oshie, Backstrom, and Dowd come back and we don’t play as well. People here will be saying we should have let Oshie go to Seattle, Backstrom should be traded, and wtf did we resign Dowd.

Oh hell….you KNOW a little slide and a LOT of bitching and moaning is probably coming at some point lol……it’s a long season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Slide? They are on a 5 games points streak and people want coaches fired.
Again with the generalizations and exaggerations. People want specific coaches fired because specific parts of this team are not good enough, namely the PP. The Caps are 9/51 on the year but if you take away opening night they’re 6/45 or 13.3%, which would be good for 29th in the league above only the Islanders, Kraken, and Penguins. They have the best power play weapon of all time and they stink at it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Again with the generalizations and exaggerations. People want specific coaches fired.

It was a basic comment. You back it up in your post highlighted here. My point was that the team didnt need to hit a skid for posters here to call for firing coaches as they are doing that now. You think that is an inappropriate post?

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
something something Backstrom
something something Oshbabe

c'mon now, when the PP QB and 2nd option (Oshie/bumper) are gone, it's gonna struggle

I also think it should be doing better but I think it'll start clicking at a better rate soon just like how Secondary Scoring all-of-a-sudden started picking up a few games ago... we're not going to be 25+% anytime soon but I'm believing we'll pot a few soon

Again with the generalizations and exaggerations. People want specific coaches fired because specific parts of this team are not good enough, namely the PP. The Caps are 9/51 on the year but if you take away opening night they’re 6/45 or 13.3%, which would be good for 29th in the league above only the Islanders, Kraken, and Penguins. They have the best power play weapon of all time and they stink at it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It was a basic comment. You back it up in your post highlighted here. My point was that the team didnt need to hit a skid for posters here to call for firing coaches as they are doing that now. You think that is an inappropriate post?
I think posters have wanted Forsythe gone for a while because there’s zero creativity and their zone entries are atrocious. That they’re saying it now is just a continuation of things as they are and as they will be until things get better. No need to make it more than it is. A lot of people dislike the PP and think it’s underachieving and want the guy responsible for it to no longer be responsible for it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think posters have wanted Forsythe gone for a while because there’s zero creativity and their zone entries are atrocious. That they’re saying it now is just a continuation of things as they are and as they will be until things get better. No need to make it more than it is. A lot of people dislike the PP and think it’s underachieving and want the guy responsible for it to no longer be responsible for it.

Ok. Thats an explanation for why in a 5 game points streak they want him fired. With the 3rd ranked pp last season, they wanted him fired. I get it. Who is making it more than it is. That is what it is. Ok. I bet there is a reason he isnt fired. I but what do I know?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I saw this suggested the other day, what if we found out Forsythe this whole time here in DC, wasn’t responsible for the PP design/strategy, only running practices with the guys and doing whatever the HC at the time asked?

who would we be calling for to be fired?

Reactions: Calicaps

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
something something Backstrom
something something Oshbabe

c'mon now, when the PP QB and 2nd option (Oshie/bumper) are gone, it's gonna struggle

I also think it should be doing better but I think it'll start clicking at a better rate soon just like how Secondary Scoring all-of-a-sudden started picking up a few games ago... we're not going to be 25+% anytime soon but I'm believing we'll pot a few soon
Speaking of the bumper shot, when was the last time they tried that half wall --> goal line player --> slot shot? I know that was Oshie's thing, but Wilson is capable of taking that shot.

It might require Kuzy swapping with the half wall player for a few seconds, but might as well try it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Speaking of the bumper shot, when was the last time they tried that half wall --> goal line player --> slot shot? I know that was Oshie's thing, but Wilson is capable of taking that shot.

It might require Kuzy swapping with the half wall player for a few seconds, but might as well try it.

Based on some of the video and still shots ive seen of opposing pk lately, they are taking that play away. 1 guy stands with Ov. 1 guy stands in Carlson's shooting lane no matter where the puck is. One guy packs in on the bumper. The last guy stands between Sheary and the bumper. They give Kuzy just about the entire RW circle and challenge him to do something about it.

Seems to me the best play has been with Carlson backing toward the left point and pulling his guy with him. That opens up Kuzy's space to include the inside of the RW circle and a much better shooting angle. He is going to have to shoot it though. That or switch with Sheary and let him shoot it.

What they did last season was move Oshie up higher in the slot for high deflections and that broke thru. Both Carlson and Backstrom could provide that and it really worked for Oshie. Thats why Oshie's ppgs were so high last season. Not sure Wilson can do that

Last edited:

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
I think you have to consider moving on from Scott Murray for a proven goalie coach before completely throwing in the towel on Sammy. I know its a pipe dream, but Pay Mitch Korn whatever he wants to return and see what he can do with Sammy.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think you have to consider moving on from Scott Murray for a proven goalie coach before completely throwing in the towel on Sammy. I know its a pipe dream, but Pay Mitch Korn whatever he wants to return and see what he can do with Sammy.
I generally agree, but I don’t think Mitch Korn is a real target. The only options for Korn are by Trotz’s side or retirement. Dave Prior and Stephane Waite are both available though.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
So tonight we could have 7 rookies in the lineup, including 3 of 4 centers, a defensive corp where Nick Jensen is one of our best d-men and we have two inexperienced, young goaltenders in net.

Imagine telling someone a few years ago this could be our lineup in 2021 and convincing them we weren’t a rebuilder team :eek:
This is basically the ideal version of what I was arguing with @Hivemind about during the offseason, they've been forced to test the pieces in their box and what's developing is a nice little 3 year window where they have almost have two separate cores, and have all these sort of "luxury" pieces ready to plug in when they return without being relied on to be vintage. It's what the Sharks very nearly did before the wheels blew completely off.

Reactions: Ridley Simon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad