Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Regular Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
If Sprong is out why not just double-shift two of the kids instead of rushing Oshie and Dowd back? The season is a marathon not a sprint etc.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m surprised how much love he’s getting. He doesn’t make mistakes or anything but his offence and speed seems limited.

I guess I’ll have to pay more attention.

Its just a guess but he is positionally sound, makes the right decisions and doesn't turn the puck over in the defensive and neutral zones. The last 2 games he has played nearly 14mins. A tie game in regulation and a game with 1 3rd period goal and a en goal. Laviolette must trust him on goals against. He's not putting up points. Has to be something else.

I also think he is probably faster than he looks. His size will give that impression

Reactions: def1iance

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If Sprong is out why not just double-shift two of the kids instead of rushing Oshie and Dowd back? The season is a marathon not a sprint etc.

Note: Sprong returned to practice. Why do we assume that either Oshie or Dowd would be rushed back if they are playing?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Its just a guess but he is positionally sound, makes the right decisions and doesn't turn the puck over in the defensive and neutral zones. The last 2 games he has played nearly 14mins. A tie game in regulation and a game with 1 3rd period goal and a en goal. Laviolette must trust him on goals against. He's not putting up points. Has to be something else.

I also think he is probably faster than he looks. His size will give that impression
I agree that he’s reliable. I just see him as a good 4C at this moment, so I’m surprised he’s on the PP.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’m surprised how much love he’s getting. He doesn’t make mistakes or anything but his offence and speed seems limited.

I guess I’ll have to pay more attention.
He’s still pretty raw I think. Big guys take a while to get it together. Ive liked his hands.

being where he is now, from he was drafted …. Seems ahead of schedule. So that’s good.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Pulled this from the CMM prospect thread. Someone smarter than me can interpret, but seems like some pretty high praise.
He’s been awesome and he deserves to play with Backstrom and Oshie when they return, if Mantha is still out. I think a major reason his TOI is lower than it should be is his extremely low FO%. He would fit well next to 19 and 77 and that would be less of a concern.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
He’s been awesome and he deserves to play with Backstrom and Oshie when they return, if Mantha is still out. I think a major reason his TOI is lower than it should be is his extremely low FO%. He would fit well next to 19 and 77 and that would be less of a concern.

if 19/77/39 all come back this year and are “their usual selves”……this team is extremely deep offensively. Extremely.

Reactions: caps4cup

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Guys stepping up is great. But it can be the result of a crisis mentality.

If play drops off when we're closer to full strength it will likely be due to that urgency being removed, and fewer guys feeling the need to take charge.

I hope they all stay engaged and motivated. Remember we looked like world-beaters for a while there before the injuries and scandals hit last year. Peaked too early then crashed and burned. This time we have more of an opportunity to rebound.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
He’s still pretty raw I think. Big guys take a while to get it together. Ive liked his hands.

being where he is now, from he was drafted …. Seems ahead of schedule. So that’s good.

Agreed. Im nothing but hyped for our future on offence. If Alexeyev (or whatever dman) can turn out as well we can compete for Ovies entire 5 years.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Pulled this from the CMM prospect thread. Someone smarter than me can interpret, but seems like some pretty high praise.

My eyes tell me he's been snake bit a little. Guy always seems to be in a position to score. Dude's gonna be a stud for us. But then again I said the same about Bura and Vrana.

Reactions: Misery74

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Someone remind me what the deal is with AJF and waivers. I think since we claimed him off waivers we can assign him to Hershey without him having to pass through waivers again if he plays less than a certain number of games? Maybe 10 games? I ask because there’s no chance the organization will risk losing him for nothing on waivers given how well he’s played so we may see him sent down sooner than the others — who are mostly if not all still waiver-exempt — regardless of how well he’s playing.

@Hivemind @Langway think you guys are normally up to speed on this kind of stuff. Normally I’d do the research myself but this whiskey sour isn’t going to drink itself.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Early season throwaway optimistic handful-of-wasabi-peas-in-your-mouth hot take:

Carl Hagelin 2021-22 will become DSP 2017-18.
The problem with comparing him to DSP is DSP scored the same number of goals in the playoffs as he did in the regular season (7) even though he played 3x the number of RS games to playoff games (75 and 24). If we double the number of goals that Hags will score in the playoffs this year as he has in the regular season he’ll score *checks notes* zero goals.

If we win the Cup and Hags scores a bunch of important goals I’ll buy a Hagelin jersey and dedicate my HF profile and picture to Hagelin the GOAT.

Reactions: crab and Corby78

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Someone remind me what the deal is with AJF and waivers. I think since we claimed him off waivers we can assign him to Hershey without him having to pass through waivers again if he plays less than a certain number of games? Maybe 10 games? I ask because there’s no chance the organization will risk losing him for nothing on waivers given how well he’s played so we may see him sent down sooner than the others — who are mostly if not all still waiver-exempt — regardless of how well he’s playing.

@Hivemind @Langway think you guys are normally up to speed on this kind of stuff. Normally I’d do the research myself but this whiskey sour isn’t going to drink itself.

I think he gets 10 games before waivers are required again

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The problem with comparing him to DSP is DSP scored the same number of goals in the playoffs as he did in the regular season (7) even though he played 3x the number of RS games to playoff games (75 and 24). If we double the number of goals that Hags will score in the playoffs this year as he has in the regular season he’ll score *checks notes* zero goals.

If we win the Cup and Hags scores a bunch of important goals I’ll buy a Hagelin jersey and dedicate my HF profile and picture to Hagelin the GOAT.
I’ve got one for you my man. Have no fear.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
After the 30th day or 10th game they would have to expose him to waivers typically. If it was an emergency recall (and I'm too lazy to find out if it was an emergency recall or a standard recall) they can effectively double that time, by converting it from an emergency recall to a standard recall as the 10 game/30day limit expires for the emergency recall.

Not sure who's comparing Hagelin to DSP in the playoffs, but there couldn't be a more off-base comparison. Hagelin has been a playoff ghost for five seasons at this point. He has an identical 0G, 1A statline in each of the three post-seasons he's played for the Capitals. You could add up all his playoff goals from 2016-17 onwards and he'd still have fewer goals that DSP had in that single post-season run.

Reactions: crab

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He will be at 8 games after this weekend.

If Oshbabe and Dowd are back they will need to make 2 roster spots. The thing that I dont know is how long a player sent back before waivers are required has to be in the AHL before that 10 game limit is reset?
It doesn’t reset. The 10 games/30 days continues to accumulate until the player is exposed to waivers again.

But Emergency Recalls and “regular” recalls have their own separate counters. So as soon as one recall timer ends, the player can be sent back to the AHL then recalled using the other method (effectively doubling the time they can spend in the NHL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad