Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Regular Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The writing was on the wall for Jimi and I think it's the right move. He has a bright future but he was overmatched and it wouldn't be worth burning a year on his ELC.

The Fucale move seems like a hedge for the upcoming road trip in case Vitek isn't 100% and they don't want Sammy to start back to backs. The fact that Vitek is on the ice makes me think the injury is not a serious one.

Dowd news sucks, but the good news is Lavi is going to be forced into playing the kids more.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
There's no way AJF stays on the third line for more than like 2 shifts.

I think Brett Leason has earned more playing time. He's been creating some good opportunities as evidenced by his shot rate being the best on the team at 5v5, and his ixG rate 2nd on the team (behind only Coney McIsland). Very small sample sizes, but the only way to find out if it's a fluke is to play him more.

Last edited:

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Ovechkin will double shift for AJF, Eller/Kuzy double shift for Protas, Wilson/Hathaway double shift for Leason. Something like that

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
With back-to-backs starting they've absolutely got to roll with what they've got. How can a young player prove themselves with little opportunity? I can buy that mentality if they struggle mightily but not as a matter of routine and not with supposedly reliable veterans moving the needle so little.

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovechkin will double shift for AJF, Eller/Kuzy double shift for Protas, Wilson/Hathaway double shift for Leason. Something like that

They will skate that way til Lavy needs to use a defensive line and then Hagelin Eller and Hathaway will start skating and AJF Protas and Leason will sit. Thats my guess.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
With back-to-backs starting they've absolutely got to roll with what they've got. How can a young player prove themselves with little opportunity? I can buy that mentality if they struggle mightily but not as a matter of routine and not with supposedly reliable veterans moving the needle so little.

Seems to me that they are going about the young player proving himself one at a time. Fehervary first. Then they moved to McMichael and Lappy. McMichael proved himself to a level. Thats where they are now. Thats my read.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Seems to me that they are going about the young player proving himself one at a time. Fehervary first. Then they moved to McMichael and Lappy. McMichael proved himself to a level. Thats where they are now. Thats my read.
McMichael has only averaged 11:30. That process is still ongoing. Fehervary they didn't really have to do anything. He's made it extremely easy for them. Leason deserves more than eight minutes a game. Sheary deserves less than almost 15. Sprong often doesn't play all that much either. They need to let mistakes happen if they're going to happen and not just reward players perceived to be safer where nothing really happens on the ice, esp. up front. With the way the blueline is playing most nights they need to reward forwards that are doing their jobs offensively rather than merely rewarding hustle.

They're running the risk of overloading the top line and they were doing that even when Oshie & Mantha were in the lineup. They've got to be a lot more judicious and strategic in those decisions. If nothing else it would be a worthwhile statement to make re: unproductive veterans that need to do more.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I never want a player hurt or has contributed to the team's success to sit, but this is the time for a real view of the future. This team has looked old the past few years since winning the Cup and now they look enthusiastic and much faster. People will say it's Ovy's drive for the record, but he's one player. The team is coming together early on and unlike years past, most of these guys have done time in Hershey rather than rushed to the NHL. Fever is everything folks said he would be and getting better. I don't think I've yelled at him during games on my TV yet. McMichael is looking like the player advertised during his draft year and exactly a player we need. Lapierre is young and showed he'll be a star and still needs to develop more. He's too much talent to be rushed. AJF has always been my hope to become something special. Watching his highlight reels over the years showed me he has the tools to be a gem. My only question mark is the young goalie situation which is going to be frustrating with two young goalies. Even with all the injuries and call ups, I wouldn't make a move right now and play it out. It's too early in the season and the Cap's are playing well, so let them play. Immediate help right now would be for faceoffs and maybe blueline grit. I rather go with youth than bring in washed out players like in the past. Watching Hamrlik as a Cap after watching him in Edmonton was disappointing. Bringing in someone like Fleury tells me the Caps are done and I don't believe they are. I don't want to be that team full of washed up veterans brought in for a first round chance and exit. Ask me in February or March how I feel about the team, but right I'm pretty high on them. If the goalie situation doesn't play out, then you get a goalie at the TDL.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
McMichael has only averaged 11:30. That process is still ongoing. Fehervary they didn't really have to do anything. He's made it extremely easy for them. Leason deserves more than eight minutes a game. Sheary deserves less than almost 15. Sprong often doesn't play all that much either. They need to let mistakes happen if they're going to happen and not just reward players perceived to be safer where nothing really happens on the ice, esp. up front. With the way the blueline is playing most nights they need to reward forwards that are doing their jobs offensively rather than merely rewarding hustle.

They're running the risk of overloading the top line and they were doing that even when Oshie & Mantha were in the lineup. They've got to be a lot more judicious and strategic in those decisions. If nothing else it would be a worthwhile statement to make re: unproductive veterans that need to do more.

Yep, it's too early in the season to worry about mistakes. Let them play and iron it out in practice and video replays.

Reactions: Hivemind

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

It's almost like they are going to run the vets into the ground so that by the end of the year, everyone is either banged up, injured, or dogged tired and then wave their fists in the air saying if only all the guys weren't banged up, injured or dogged tired we would have won the first round!

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
They will skate that way til Lavy needs to use a defensive line and then Hagelin Eller and Hathaway will start skating and AJF Protas and Leason will sit. Thats my guess.

Will lose games we shouldn't lose with that strategy too.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
It's almost like they are going to run the vets into the ground so that by the end of the year, everyone is either banged up, injured, or dogged tired and then wave their fists in the air saying if only all the guys weren't banged up, injured or dogged tired we would have won the first round!

That is what will happen too.

Reactions: tenken00

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Sounds like we need a new coach

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yep, it's too early in the season to worry about mistakes. Let them play and iron it out in practice and video replays.

Listening to Laviolette talk it sounds like he doesn't think they have game to give away for development. That they need every point they can get to make the playoffs. He has said several times that a good team is going to miss the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad