Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Regular Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Fun fact: Evgeny Kuznetsov scored at a higher rate at 5v5 last year than he has so far this year. He has to start playing better IMO.

Kuzy is so confusing. He looks bad, his fancies are good. He looks good, his fancies are worse.

I just like that he's having fun and doing bird man cellies a lot.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Kuzy is so confusing. He looks bad, his fancies are good. He looks good, his fancies are worse.

His fancies are better this year though. Quite a bit better.

But his point scoring at 5v5 is down. This after posting one of the worst years of his career. Hopefully he can kick it into gear and stop messing around.

Reactions: Hivemind

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
His fancies are better this year though. Quite a bit better.

But his point scoring at 5v5 is down. This after posting one of the worst years of his career. Hopefully he can kick it into gear and stop messing around.

Didn't some wise person once say "Fancies are good for predicting future results " ? :D

Reactions: Hivemind and twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Didn't some wise person once say "Fancies are good for predicting future results " ? :D

In all seriousness, I think Kuznetsov has been excellent this year. But I think he was also very good last year as well. His fancies have been great both seasons, and his on-ice goal results have also been similarly great.

I think a few things are working to Kuznetsov’s advantage this season which is why he’s getting more notice:

1. He’s getting more time on ice due to Backstrom’s injury. More time on ice = more points.

2. Kuznetsov has taken over the half-wall spot on the power play. This position is more conducive to point scoring.

3. Kuznetsov has spent most of his time with Ovechkin this season, and Ovechkin is legitimately improved over last season.

I’m just hoping Kuznetsov’s start this year will convince people to stop relying on point scoring as the main way to evaluate player performance.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
2. Kuznetsov has taken over the half-wall spot on the power play. This position is more conducive to point scoring.

Yea, about that. Kuznetsov has been on the half wall and in control of the power play. The power play everybody here says has sucks.

As for relying on point scoring. This is a game. The winner of the game scores the most goals. When it comes down to it you cant win without those points and winning is what counts.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Yea, about that. Kuznetsov has been on the half wall and in control of the power play. The power play everybody here says has sucks.

As for relying on point scoring. This is a game. The winner of the game scores the most goals. When it comes down to it you cant win without those points and winning is what counts.

I agree goals count the most, and that’s why I was so impressed with Kuznetsov’s team-leading on-ice goal-differential last year.

Kuznetsov is scoring at just about the same rate as Backstrom did last year on the PP, so that doesn’t explain the power play problems.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
A rep just stopped by my office and was like

Rep Lady: "I cant get rid of the these Caps tickets, do you want them?"
Me: (outstretches my open hand) "Put them in my hand lady and nobody will get hurt"
Rep Lady: just starts rattling off all these dates asking which ones I want
Me: "All of them"

Im happy .. in the 100s as well.

Is this how rich people live? Because it feels good. I can get used to this. I think I found my calling. Im really good at accepting free stuff, I can say "thank you" in 3 languages and I am a presentable dude.

I feel like that lady from discover card cash match commercial .. just want to let it all out

T5nP6v.gif

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Me: (outstretches my open hand) "Put them in my hand lady and nobody will get hurt"

Is this how rich people live? Because it feels good. I can get used to this. I think I found my calling. Im really good at accepting free stuff, I can say "thank you" in 3 languages and I am a presentable dude.

I feel like that lady from discover card cash match commercial .. just want to let it all out

T5nP6v.gif

Whooaaa dude. Noice! Didn't you say that your dad was also looking to go to a Caps game not too long ago as well?

CoordinatedEnergeticChipmunk-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Whooaaa dude. Nice! Didn't you also said that your dad also was looking to go to a Caps game not too long ago as well?

Yeah he said he could get tickets through a Vet thing for like $4 or something but it never panned out.

Im just happy for 100 section seats. You can hear that distinct sound of the blades cutting into the ice.

just need to find my top hat and monicle.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Yeah he said he could get tickets through a Vet thing for like $4 or something but it never panned out.

Im just happy for 100 section seats. You can hear that distinct sound of the blades cutting into the ice.

just need to find my top hat and monicle.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Kuzy looks quick and willing to use that speed to drive the net. Only a few guys really bring that to the table consistently. The team needs that element if they expect to be playing this postseason. Desperately missing last time.

Sep 19, 2008

T5nP6v.gif
In all my 5 years of going to games I've never sat in the 100's. Enjoy it

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I've been trying to sell our games and really no takers... sucks. Best seats in the house, but yeah, big bucks. Probably the last year for our dynasty. Kinda breaks my heart to give 'em up. Gonna try to find partners so I can keep the seats, but...

Reactions: Neil Racki

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I've been trying to sell our games and really no takers... sucks. Best seats in the house, but yeah, big bucks. Probably the last year for our dynasty. Kinda breaks my heart to give 'em up. Gonna try to find partners so I can keep the seats, but...

Message me and we can negotiate.

Reactions: Calicaps

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
With the kiddo getting the jab today, I may want to take him to a game this season. Will reach out if it happens.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
In all my 5 years of going to games I've never sat in the 100's. Enjoy it

I feel like everyone should sit close to the ice at least once or twice, just to truly experience the size and speed of these players in a real game. I've done it a few times, particularly when you could get tickets at Nassau Coliseum for dirt cheap (although, it pays to know that there's a row 00 there in front of row 0).

But generally I'm with you. I'd rather sit up in the nosebleeds for most games. You can see the play develop better up there, and it's obviously a much better bang for the buck. In a lot of arenas, I'll even take the very back row so I can either stand or lean forward whenever I want without disturbing anyone behind me.

Reactions: crab and Neil Racki

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

T5nP6v.gif

This basically how I became a hockey fan 2oyrs ago. I worked for a large consulting firm who had 4 season tix at section 108 or 109. The events coordinator / marketing person sat a few doors down from me and since we both worked late, she came by and offered for a Flyers game. Instantly hooked and was incredulous how big the players were and how fast the game was. After this game, the company started raffling the tickets via email (first 2 ppl to reply to the company-wide email got them). So my coworker would alert me a few mins ahead when the email was going out so I could reply first. LOL I didn't miss many games. :D

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

Hi!!! Now that I'm back in DC again, I might be able to help.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Which thread were we complaining about goaltending? Doesn't matter.

NHL Goalie Statistics

If you believe these stats VV seems to be outperforming Sammy in a lot of categories, and his rebound control is better than expected.

View attachment 476720

I missed this earlier but I believe that Moneypuck is the only site that does expected rebounds, which is really neat. Thanks for finding this!

I’m generally more accepting of eye-test analysis of goaltending because the numbers are so random, but the numbers are what the numbers are. It’s easy to fixate on Vanecek giving up a ton of rebounds because some of them have been juicy in the past, but unless you do an empirical analysis of all of the goaltenders in the league it’s hard for me to buy that he gives up too many rebounds when the numbers suggest otherwise, at least this season.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

I live 8-9 hours from D.C. or I would take you up on the offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA