Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Off-Season Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I guess you’re hung up on this last resort thing. Will be funny-sad (not funny haha) if a lower journeyman in Irwin takes the same role.

Oh is that how you took it? I'm just saying it's the logical reasoning for your comment about him getting low-balled in offers and situation choices.

If Chara was in demand by the teams he wants, he would have been given better contract choices and better situation choices.

But he's not in demand by the teams he wants. That's why he's been given low contract choices and not the right situation choices.

Last resort meaning that there is literally no one else out there on the Free Agency market. Thereby making him a last resort.

I didn't mean it in any other way. Just logic.

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
giphy.webp

Can we get an advance on that cap space for this season?:sarcasm:

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Can we get an advance on that cap space for this season?:sarcasm:

This is the projection that Seravalli has for the upcoming years:

Daily Faceoff's projections:

SEASONPROJ. SALARY CAPPROJ. REVENUEENDING ESCROW BAL
2021-22$81.5 MILLION$4.8 BILLION$1.3 BILLION
2022-23$82.5 MILLION$5.4 BILLION$0.98 BILLION
2023-24$83.5 MILLION$5.6 BILLION$0.63 BILLION
2024-25$84.5 MILLION$5.8 BILLION$0.20 BILLION
2025-26$85.5 MILLION$6 BILLIONPAID OFF
2026-27$91.4 MILLION$6.2 BILLIONN/A
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Sadly enough, the cap isn't expected to jump like it would regularly until after Ovechkin's contract ends.

But the $1 mill a year increase is better than nothing.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Hershey just hired their new coach, Scott Allen, who was one of Carbery's assistants last season. Any idea what type of coaching style he has and how he can help develop the Caps prospects going forward in Hershey?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oh is that how you took it? I'm just saying it's the logical reasoning for your comment about him getting low-balled in offers and situation choices.

If Chara was in demand by the teams he wants, he would have been given better contract choices and better situation choices.

But he's not in demand by the teams he wants. That's why he's been given low contract choices and not the right situation choices.

Last resort meaning that there is literally no one else out there on the Free Agency market. Thereby making him a last resort.

I didn't mean it in any other way. Just logic.

you’re assuming that Chara doesn’t already have a team or two and a deal done, waiting on business before signing….maybe you’re right and he has no offers, or he’s in no rush to decide yet?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
you’re assuming that Chara doesn’t already have a team or two and a deal done, waiting on business before signing….maybe you’re right and he has no offers, or he’s in no rush to decide yet?

It's not like someone offered him $4 million AAV and guaranteed 2LD minutes on a contender. He probably would have signed that.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
My assumption is that even the teams that he does want to play for view him as a last resort and not an answer. And if the teams that he wants to play for don't give him significant playing time, he will retire.

If he was willing to just take a 7th dman, mentor type role, he would already have been signed with a team.
You assume that, why?

If you recall — the Caps, last off season — were swimming along with their team. Chara called them and said “I want to play”, and it was done in minutes.

That was last year.

you think this year is far different?

ok then

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
You assume that, why?

If you recall — the Caps, last off season — were swimming along with their team. Chara called them and said “I want to play”, and it was done in minutes.

That was last year.

you think this year is far different?

ok then

Chara wasn't even on the free agent market for more than a few hours last time around.

That's not the case this time around.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
If someone wanted him as an answer and not a last resort, he would have gotten better offers in both money and in role on the ice.

It's because teams don't see him as an answer and not just a last resort that they don't give him better offers in either money and role on the ice.
So you expect a team to think that a 45ur old dman is “the answer”? To what question?

NO team should expect a 3rd pairing dman to be “the answer” to anything other than depth.

Bud — seems you want to be right about this. And that’s fine. But what point are you trying to make? Exactly? And before you make it, is anyone really disagreeing w you?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
So you expect a team to think that a 45ur old dman is “the answer”? To what question?

NO team should expect a 3rd pairing dman to be “the answer” to anything other than depth.

Bud — seems you want to be right about this. And that’s fine. But what point are you trying to make? Exactly? And before you make it, is anyone really disagreeing w you?

If he is expecting to play large minutes on a contender, doesn't mean that he has to be an answer to a contending team's blue line?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
He wants to win. As long as he gets a sweater regularly, I don’t think the minutes are a huge deal

Of course. But he wants the minutes. That's why he left Boston, is it not?

And to get a lot of minutes and a large role on a contender means that the contender has to view him as the answer to fill their blue line hole.

Nothing I said is technically wrong. Don't know why you guys are getting hung up on semantics.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Of course. But he wants the minutes. That's why he left Boston, is it not?

And to get a lot of minutes and a large role on a contender means that the contender has to view him as the answer to fill their blue line hole.

Nothing I said is technically wrong. Don't know why you guys are getting hung up on semantics.
Let’s make this simple.

I want Chara as a 3rd pair dman. Would be happy with it based on where we are now as a team.

And you wouldn’t?

Reactions: TheLegendOfPatPeake

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
And I'm not *trying* to be right about anything. I didn't say anything the past few pages that could be construed as opinion.

I already stated my opinion in that signing Chara is not the direction the Caps should go in days ago. That's an opinion.

But everything else after that isn't an opinion. Just laying down the information we have as of right now.

He's not in demand right now because if he was a hot commodity, other contending teams (including the Caps) would have given him what he wants already. Instead he's been a free agent for some time now.

Is that really wrong?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hivemind

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Let’s make this simple.

I want Chara as a 3rd pair dman. Would be happy with it based on where we are now as a team.

And you wouldn’t?

See. Now you are asking for my opinion. And we all know my answer to that is no. Chara is not going to put us over the top. Like I said, it's either a trade for another Dman or being patient with Alexeyev. But that's just my opinion. I could be right or wrong about that, it really doesn't matter.

I dont have some burning need to be right about it. Hell, I'll be happy if I am wrong and we win a Cup with Chara.

I think everyone feels like there are knives in the shadows here for whatever reason and that everyone has agendas. There are no knives. And there are no agendas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hivemind

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Would love Chara back
  • As 3rd pair
  • With limited minutes ( <16 min. avg)
  • And forced to sit out front or back half of all back-to-back games (12 or 13? back-to-backs)
  • and rested as coaches see fit (I'd like him to play around 60 gms and give some games to the young bucks to get some exp.)
Don't know if he'd agree to a lesser role, don't know how much his expectations or demands have changed since last season, don't know much about history, don't know much biology

Reactions: Ridley Simon

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well, dealing with Kempny first is not a necessity. They could trade him later on. LTIR him. Or the worst case scenario, bury his contract in Hershey. Not ideal... but if the worst case scenario still works with Chara in the mix, nothing we do will matter if we want really want Chara.

We could sign Chara right now without consequence.

Not necessary. Possible. Lets see what happens.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
My prediction is that this will be the d core to start the season and boy it will be open season for other teams against this d core and goaltending:

Fever - Carlson

Orlov - Schultz

Irwin - Jensen

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I agree and I’m flabbergasted why people wouldn’t agree given the current state of things.

I think it's just a difference in risk tolerance. A larger risk for a larger reward down the line.

Yes Chara is the safer choice, but I don't feel that what he gives you is enough to win a Cup. There is a lot more risk in playing a rookie, but you try it in hopes for a better player down the line.

If AA doesn't work out you can try a deadline deal as a fall back.

It's a little harder to have a fall back if Chara falters though. Can't really be the team to ship Chara off to Hershey like AA or send him out to Buffalo or something. He's garnered too much respect over the years.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
I think it's just a difference in risk tolerance. A larger risk for a larger reward down the line.

Yes Chara is the safer choice, but I don't feel that what he gives you is enough to win a Cup. There is a lot more risk in playing a rookie, but you try it in hopes for a better player down the line.

If AA doesn't work out you can try a deadline deal as a fall back.

It's a little harder to have a fall back if Chara falters though. Can't really be the team to ship Chara off to Hershey like AA or send him out to Buffalo or something. He's garnered too much respect over the years.
There isn’t time for experimenting right now is my argument. A few games, sure...but time is ticking (if their opportunity hasn’t already expired).

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
There isn’t time for experimenting right now is my argument. A few games, sure...but time is ticking (if their opportunity hasn’t already expired).

I know. That's just my opinion. I just don't think that what we have right now is enough to go all the way anymore.

Not without Kuzy becoming super Kuzy again or Sammy becoming super Sammy for the first time.

And I'm willing to risk more for a chance to get back to that point.

But the moment the Caps re-sign Chara, I'll be rooting for the old guy again. What else can I do? It's our team.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheLegendOfPatPeake
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad