Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021-22 Season Part 8: Off-season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If you think that was the only reason they struggled than I don’t know what to say. Let’s do the same thing for the fifth year in a row and expect different results.
I never indicated that was the only reason. At the same time from what we saw, there are those who overreact with this and that need to be changed right away. We know that Ted/Dick/Bmac don't operate as aggressive as let us say the Bolts did in regard to Doucherov on LTIR. Changes need to made, but the Caps are not a team that dives a lot in free agency or makes major trades. They are an annoyingly too patient of a team, right or wrong. They do have some young guys(not so much HR hits) that can/could step in, Fever, maybe LuJo(6/7 role), Alexeyez(once healthy again), AJF, CMM, Protas, HL(maybe in a couple years), Fucale(as a backup maybe in 2 years), Beck M., etc.

Forward group is a bit of a challenge, let us wait till they hire a new assistant coach to replace Arniel. That hire will have a big effect on how the forward group goes, going forward.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Kind of what I've been getting at...Kuemper means that if BMac stick to his guns and keeps Backstroms cap hit open...we're looking at the same team as early last season when we had a ton of people out injured and we're the Hershey caps except with hopefully more consistent goaltending...not sure that does enough to move the needle. He needs to use Backstroms cap and if he comes back then figure it out.
Ironically that was our best longer stretch of the season.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Im not a huge fan of giving a goalie 6 mill for 6 years that couldnt beat out Grubby last season.
That's incorrect that Grubauer was better in his final season with the Avs in comparison to Kuemper's season(which I' assuming you are referring to?). Kuemper had more starts than Grubauer(57 vs 39) in the regular season and playoffs(16(10 wins) vs 10(6 wins), playoff GAA(2.57 vs 2.61). Regular season W-L-OTL records, Kuemper 37-12-4, Grubauer 30-9-1. Grubauer was only better in regular season GAA(1.95 vs 2.54) and playoff SV%(.914 vs .902).

Kuemper (RS) 37-12-4, (57 starts), 2.54 GAA, .921 SV%, (PS)10-4, (16 starts), 2.57 GAA, .902 SV%
Grubauer (RS) 30-9-1, (39 starts), 1.95 GAA, .922 SV%, (PS)6-4, (10 starts), 2.61 GAA, .914 SV%

I have seen Avs fans say that Grubauer cracked under pressure against Vegas in that 2nd round exit in 6 games. There is nothing more high pressure than playing in a Cup Final series. There is the rightful argument that Kuemper was the weakest link on the team, but the fact of the matter is he was the goalie that helped lead the Avs to winning the Cup and Grubauer was not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad