Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021-22 Season Part 8: Off-season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvanMalison

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Samsonov sucks. He managed to play a decent 6 games but I think you’re forgetting how about wildly inconsistent he was in the regular season.

Signing Holtby achieves nothing. He also was wildly inconsistent and downright bad at times for Dallas.

Kuemper is the best goalie avaivable and costs zero assets. Who cares if he isnt ”on his game” 5 years from now, we are likely tanking by then anyways. And theres always ltir/trade/retire, anything can happen between now and then.

What puzzles me is that Sammy is far from ideal backup goalie. Keeping him to sit on the bench and play 23 games a season doesnt feel like its ”the right direction” with him. He is someone who needs to be tested all the way if he can achieve his potential, and if we bring a 60 game starter i dont see how we can give him the chance. Its a different story if we even should be ”handing out chances”, but Vanecek would have been better fit for backup role.

But yeah, if Kuemper is avaivable for us you sign him and solve puzzles later.

Just because Samsonov is not a great option doesn't mean that signing Kuemper for 6 million IS. The reality is that the Goaltender market is really hot this offseason, which coupled with the fact that there really aren't that many great options available means that there may not be any good deals available.

Samsonov wasn't great this past season, but he is still really young. 6 million is a TON of cap space, and I really think its just much better spent elsewhere in the roster than it is on a Goalie who, despite winning the cup, just had a pretty horrible playoff run.

The caps don't have a shot at a deep run unless they a) significantly upgrade the skaters, b) have some of their younger players (McMicheal, Samsonov) really step up. 6 million is enough cap space to get someone pretty good at 2c to fill in for Backstrom. That is where we should be spending.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Georgiev signs for 3 x $3.4M in Colorado. Evolving Hockey thought he’d get a 2 year term, but at 3 years they pegged him at $3.483M AAV. So right on the nose.

EH has Samsonov at $2.7M AAV for one year, or $3.0M AAV for two years. Can’t see Washington going longer than 2 years. So if they keep Sammy that’s the ballpark they’re looking at. If they sign Kuemper they’ll be spending close to $10 million on goaltending.

And I’m still interested to see what Vanecek comes in at in NJ because EH had him at over $5 million on a 4 year deal which seems highly questionable, but then again the market does seem weird.

Last edited:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Georgiev signs for 3 x $3.4M in Colorado. Evolving Hockey thought he’d get a 2 year term, but at 3 years they pegged him at $3.483M AAV. So right on the nose.

EH has Samsonov at $2.7M AAV for one year, or $3.0M AAV for two years. Can’t see Washington going longer than 2 years.

And I’m still interested to see what Vanecek comes in at in NJ because EH had him at over $5 million on a 4 year deal which seems highly questionable, but then again the market does seem weird.
Saw that. I could see him getting term from NJ but would be shocked if over $3M.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
6 million is enough cap space to get someone pretty good at 2c to fill in for Backstrom. That is where we should be spending.
Aside from Miller I'm not sure that's true and he'll cost significantly more the season after if he were to be extended (on top of the assets required to acquire him). Trocheck? Malkin? Copp? Ryan/Dylan Strome? Pretty good players maybe but then what of the term involved? Is that the way to structure the team should Backstrom return or given their younger centers needing spots? I think they're basically pushing the longer-term center decision until Backstrom gives it a go and there's resolution one way or another. Not ideal in the short-term but anything they do there is likely just a stopgap.

Kuemper is probably the biggest splash UFA they can realistically get at any position of need that doesn't block anyone. It's an area of need they've been desperate to address for some time. Kadri & Nichushkin will get more than $6M per. As long as it's more along the lines of 6x6 at most I'm fine with it. I don't know that I'd realistically give that to anyone else in this market, have it be accepted and be fine with the structural consequences. They're going to need to be very shrewd up front but we'll see how it goes. Something like trading for Miller & Reimer would be interesting but, again, extending Miller makes it pretty complicated without being 100% sure 19 will be done.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If we give Kuemper 6, Sammy 2 and expected Backstrom and Wilson back in season(pretend their salary is on the books) that's leaves pretty much nothing left (2 mil) with Protas, Snively, AJF and Lujo in the lineup. That 2 mil gets us an Irwin type for #7 and another young forward like Leason as the 13th....almost feels like we have to make some trades to free up room unless we're just running it back with a new goalie as the Hershey caps.
I bey ya Sammy will come in $2.2 to 2.5 million per year. I don't think he'll stay at $2 million. I guess the money is reasonable if he's going to be a 2/1B.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
What about Samsonov to Oilers for Pulju, this would leave us with Fucale as backup which is ok I guess? Also instead of Kuemper I would prefer Gibson as the no1, not sure what the price would be however
Gibson will cost too much in a trade and he seems to indicate that he's fine staying with the Ducks(I think his agent just shot down a trade rumor going to the Leafs). If you trade Sammy, then Fucale could be a bit shaky siuation to step in if Kuemper sustains an injury(I would think differently if Kuemper didn't have the injury history). I like Fucale in a backup role, but I don't want to have go through another season of taking risks relying on inexperienced goalies(Copley's, Vitek's and Sammy's rookie years were all inexperienced).

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
lolol meanwhile I'm pulling for the Caps to acquire Puljujarvi for no other reason than to test the analytics that say, despite his flaws, he's an underrated support player who could fill a glaring need for this team. Show me what u got, fancy stats. I want to believe!
I feel like Puljujarvi is a minor upgrade, but higher cap hit to Sprong. Talented but doesn't always put it together. If the Oilers want Sammy, then they can give us Puljujarvi + for him!

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I feel like Puljujarvi is a minor upgrade, but higher cap hit to Sprong. Talented but doesn't always put it together. If the Oilers want Sammy, then they can give us Puljujarvi + for him!

Puljujarvi does all of the things that Sprong doesn’t do when he isn’t scoring. Namely, he’s excellent defensively, is a great forechecker, and improves his teammates when he’s on the ice.

If Puljujarvi did gain a scoring touch then he’d be close to a complete two-way forward a la Nichushkin which is why I think the idea of trading for him is so intriguing.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I bey ya Sammy will come in $2.2 to 2.5 million per year. I don't think he'll stay at $2 million. I guess the money is reasonable if he's going to be a 2/1B.
If so that just pushes us even tighter without making some significant trades. Unless we plan on going well over using Backstrom and Wilson's ltir money and then becoming sellers at the deadline to bring them back and get compliant...which is typically not what contenders do. I can't imagine we'd be in the hunt and move guys like Eller, Sheary, Hathaway, Jensen, TVR, or Orlov to shed salary and bolster a competitor. This has got all the makings of running it back with a new goalie, the same sad coaching and a lineup like we used early in the season when everybody was hurt last year. Not really what I was expecting when BMac said we were going to make changes lol.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Aside from Miller I'm not sure that's true and he'll cost significantly more the season after if he were to be extended (on top of the assets required to acquire him). Trocheck? Malkin? Copp? Ryan/Dylan Strome? Pretty good players maybe but then what of the term involved? Is that the way to structure the team should Backstrom return or given their younger centers needing spots? I think they're basically pushing the longer-term center decision until Backstrom gives it a go and there's resolution one way or another. Not ideal in the short-term but anything they do there is likely just a stopgap.

Kuemper is probably the biggest splash UFA they can realistically get at any position of need that doesn't block anyone. It's an area of need they've been desperate to address for some time. Kadri & Nichushkin will get more than $6M per. As long as it's more along the lines of 6x6 at most I'm fine with it. I don't know that I'd realistically give that to anyone else in this market, have it be accepted and be fine with the structural consequences. They're going to need to be very shrewd up front but we'll see how it goes. Something like trading for Miller & Reimer would be interesting but, again, extending Miller makes it pretty complicated without being 100% sure 19 will be done.
Canucks Rutherford/Alvin are not even letting other teams try to negotiate a new contract in a trade deal for Miller! That should tell you something right there that Rutherford might want to hold onto Miller or somehow drive up the trade value.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If so that just pushes us even tighter without making some significant trades. Unless we plan on going well over using Backstrom and Wilson's ltir money and then becoming sellers at the deadline to bring them back and get compliant...which is typically not what contenders do. I can't imagine we'd be in the hunt and move guys like Eller, Sheary, Hathaway, Jensen, TVR, or Orlov to shed salary and bolster a competitor. This has got all the makings of running it back with a new goalie, the same sad coaching and a lineup like we used early in the season when everybody was hurt last year. Not really what I was expecting when BMac said we were going to make changes lol.
Georgiev's new Avs contract(3 years, $3.4 million per) might have just screwed up Sammy's next contract, as both had very similar numbers last season. The only difference was Sammy started 4 playoff games. Also, both of them had promising rookie years only to have their numbers drop consecutive years.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
7D827147-1318-478C-871F-712A4128BE21.png
39756A84-B5C8-45F9-9C39-A5F61F40AC86.png

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
While I think Kuemper could help, if they sign him that’s probably all they can do cap wise so the team in front of him will still be ass.
Kind of what I've been getting at...Kuemper means that if BMac stick to his guns and keeps Backstroms cap hit open...we're looking at the same team as early last season when we had a ton of people out injured and we're the Hershey caps except with hopefully more consistent goaltending...not sure that does enough to move the needle. He needs to use Backstroms cap and if he comes back then figure it out.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Kind of what I've been getting at...Kuemper means that if BMac stick to his guns and keeps Backstroms cap hit open...we're looking at the same team as early last season when we had a ton of people out injured and we're the Hershey caps except with hopefully more consistent goaltending...not sure that does enough to move the needle. He needs to use Backstroms cap and if he comes back then figure it out.
Agreed. Adding an average goalie to that same sh*t show does nothing to move the needle.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
See image screen captures above.

Blackhawks To Non-Tender Dylan Strome

JULY 10, 2022 AT 8:41 PM CDT | BY BRIAN LA ROSE LEAVE A COMMENT

A fairly thin free agent center market is about to get a notable addition as Mark Lazerus of The Athletic reports (Twitter link) that the Blackhawks will not be tendering Dylan Stromea qualifying offer by Monday’s deadline. That means he will become an unrestricted free agent on Monday.
The move shouldn’t come as much surprise as Chicago has had the 25-year-old available for quite some time now with no takers. That’s more due to his cost than his performance, however. Strome’s qualifying offer of $3.6MM was more than what the Blackhawks were willing to pay and even if they were willing to go that high, the fact he had salary arbitration eligibility would almost certainly have pushed the price tag even higher which other teams around the league were certainly aware of.
Strome is coming off a bit of an up-and-down season. He got off to a tough start but over the final two months of the season, he averaged nearly a point per game in 28 contests while logging more than 20 minutes a night on the top line. Overall, he had 22 goals and 26 assists in 69 games, setting a new career-high in goals in the process.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
He is but if you ice the same team besides the goalie I don’t think that is enough. There are a lot of problems with the forward group.
I think you are forgetting how old the team is relative to how many games were being played per week(it was 3 to 4 games a week) during the season. This coming season's schedule will not be as brutal for this current roster. The season will be more properly stretched out like a normal schedule, allowing the Caps players to have better rest days in between games in the week.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
I think you are forgetting how old the team is relative to how many games were being played per week(it was 3 to 4 games a week) during the season. This coming season's schedule will not be as brutal for this current roster. The season will be more properly stretched out like a normal schedule, allowing the Caps players to have better rest days in between games in the week.
If you think that was the only reason they struggled than I don’t know what to say. Let’s do the same thing for the fifth year in a row and expect different results.

Reactions: Holtbyisms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad