Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021-22 Season Part 8: Off-season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Even so it's still a large number at that position for them. I tend to think they'd rather move Sammy when the goalie market is hot and use even the LTIR space on other improvements, if they nab a true #1.
I don't really think the market is hot for Sammy... struggling Russian goalie isn't exactly the hottest asset right now. That could change if Sabres miss out on everyone and are looking for a tandem goalie. But i don't really see the fit there.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I doubt they'll pay too much another defenseman, although not shutting the door on Schultz's return makes you wonder. According to The Metrics, Marc Staal is coming off of a fairly strong season. He could be a passable stopgap. Subban will likely price himself out but Colin Miller could perhaps fit. Lyubushkin. Maatta. Stralman. Ian Cole seems like the sort of vet they'd target.

Up front in terms of value I like Dylan Strome, Stastny, Stepan, Jarnkrok, Athanasiou, Kubalik, Vatrano, Rodrigues, Lazar, Leivo or Kase as far as value plays go. Maybe buy low on a Gurianov trade. I think overall if they're not spending all that much it may be best to see what they've got internally more or less. Rather than spread it around more equally they probably should target one particular spot of most need and run the risk at the other. Under the circumstances I think that more likely leads to going cheaper on D and giving Johansen a legit shot to prove himself. And instead spending more up front to make due while Wilson is out.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
lolol meanwhile I'm pulling for the Caps to acquire Puljujarvi for no other reason than to test the analytics that say, despite his flaws, he's an underrated support player who could fill a glaring need for this team. Show me what u got, fancy stats. I want to believe!

Reactions: searle

Jun 15, 2007
Supposedly Malkin wants 4x6m and Pens only want to give him 3x6m.

I am 100% okay with giving Malkin 4x7m. He will get injured sure but thst just gives McMichael a chance. As long as we shut him down in time for him to be ready for the playoffs, I am on board with Malkin.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
We have to move someone. Eller is one that makes most sense. JC74 is the biggest impact and I do think he has value But then you have to replace him. Sammy makes sense to move. Anyone else outside of that would be shocking to me. Could move one of our younger players like AJF, Leason, Protas who have some value but that would have to be in concert with other moves Because they give us good cap flexiblity.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Given the uncertainty regarding Nicky potentially returning during the RS, what are the chances the team waits until sometime during the season - either Nov-Dec or at the deadline - to make some of the necessary moves? There are holes that need to be filled by the time the season begins - a starting keeper and another forward to cover for LTIR guys. Maybe bring in a decent 3/4 d to lessen the load on Fever. (I'd prefer not re-signing Schultz unless the price and term are beneficial.) Moving (or penciling) out Hags and moving Eller will create opportunities to see what Hershey guys can do on the big stage. Bank some of the cap savings to make hockey trades in late fall or TDL acquisitions. Is there any Eastern team that didn't make the playoffs that'll displace the Caps from that final playoff spot? I'm hard-pressed to identify any strong competition among those eight. Caps would have to tread water for the first half of the season or so, and by then they should have a better handle on Nick's possible readiness (as well as Wilson returning). They'd have a good read on their Hershey young'uns, CMM & Fever's continued development, and where to put their assets to upgrade the team for the loffs.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I really don’t mind Johansson back on a one year deal. He fit in quite well, I thought his play was solid. That’s if they decide to go the dumpster diving route to fill out the forwards. Fill in the rest with young guns

I think Justin Schultz was always here as John Carlson insurance, or that was the idea of him at least. Colin Miller might be a sneaky cheap pick up to fill that role. He can shoot it pretty hard

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Is there any Eastern team that didn't make the playoffs that'll displace the Caps from that final playoff spot? I'm hard-pressed to identify any strong competition among those eight.

I wonder about if the Islanders will bounce back at all. Losing Trotz hurts, but losing Chara will help them. They also were hit pretty hard by COVID immediately after their season opening road-trip and they never really got off on the right foot. I could see Sorokin carrying them to a WC spot even if their forwards leave much to be desired.

The Devils are probably still a year away but if they get a goalie I could see them competing for a WC spot if a few things break their way. If they are relying on Vanecek to be their guy it's hard for me to see them competing this year, even if their underlying numbers last year were respectable.

Other than those two teams it's hard to see anyone else making the postseason that didn't last year. Ottawa should be fun this year but they still seem a little ways away. Same with Detroit.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
I really don’t mind Johansson back on a one year deal. He fit in quite well, I thought his play was solid. That’s if they decide to go the dumpster diving route to fill out the forwards. Fill in the rest with young guns

I think Justin Schultz was always here as John Carlson insurance, or that was the idea of him at least. Colin Miller might be a sneaky cheap pick up to fill that role. He can shoot it pretty hard
Respectfully, I don’t consider any of the following young guns: Protas, Leason, AJF. None of them can hang in the top six and actually produce.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Still much too early to handicap the East. Very hard to say how aggressive some of the teams with loads of cap space may be in free agency (like Detroit & Buffalo in particular who at least in theory could make jumps with the right moves). On the opposite end there are still some pretty capped out teams. Florida has no room and has to do something. Same with Vegas in the West and Tampa. I'm looking at first stage buyouts and the QO market in the coming days for additional value options. You'd think some trades also have to happen prior to the start of free agency if teams want the flexibility to be active. There are about a half dozen teams well positioned to weaponize their cap space should teams pay a premium for it. The problem for many of the more capped out teams is that many are asset poor unless they get into moving '23 picks. It could force them into some poor returns. It's probably not a very easy time to move salary.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Supposedly Malkin wants 4x6m and Pens only want to give him 3x6m.

I am 100% okay with giving Malkin 4x7m. He will get injured sure but thst just gives McMichael a chance. As long as we shut him down in time for him to be ready for the playoffs, I am on board with Malkin.
1657471425917.png

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They really don’t need to worry about the cap until the trade deadline at the earliest which is why I want them to be aggressive. Hagelin would be easy to dump to a cap floor team this summer and Eller would have value either now or at the TDL so that’s $6M+ right there. If LuJo takes the 3LD spot they’re only paying him $750k to fill that role.

They really should not consider themselves hamstrung just because Backstrom said he wants to come back. First there’s no guarantee he can come back and second he’s not going to be ready before the deadline and at that point just save him until the playoffs. There’s a lot of salary coming off the books next off-season so it’s not like they need to worry about that either. They’ll need space for Orlov, Jensen, and Hathaway extensions but the latter two shouldn’t see material raises.

A chunk seems likely to go to Keumper but that’s Eller and Hagelin’s money. I really hope they add someone in the top six be it a center or a winger. I’ve liked Miller because of the versatility to play wing or center anywhere in the top six.

And as @Langway pointed out there are some interesting names for middle six roles that shouldn’t break the bank.

Do it to it, BMac.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Miller to NYI seems like the one move that could really shake up the East were it to happen.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
They really don’t need to worry about the cap until the trade deadline at the earliest which is why I want them to be aggressive. Hagelin would be easy to dump to a cap floor team this summer and Eller would have value either now or at the TDL so that’s $6M+ right there. If LuJo takes the 3LD spot they’re only paying him $750k to fill that role.

They really should not consider themselves hamstrung just because Backstrom said he wants to come back. First there’s no guarantee he can come back and second he’s not going to be ready before the deadline and at that point just save him until the playoffs. There’s a lot of salary coming off the books next off-season so it’s not like they need to worry about that either. They’ll need space for Orlov, Jensen, and Hathaway extensions but the latter two shouldn’t see material raises.

A chunk seems likely to go to Keumper but that’s Eller and Hagelin’s money. I really hope they add someone in the top six be it a center or a winger. I’ve liked Miller because of the versatility to play wing or center anywhere in the top six.

And as @Langway pointed out there are some interesting names for middle six roles that shouldn’t break the bank.

Do it to it, BMac.
I think this is about right. There are different directions to go, and I see BMAC going hard at a 2C and/or Goalie and LD Out of the gate. But i can also see him not liking the prices and holding for tier 2 players later in FA (but before season) As there will be values after many shoot their wads on tier 1. And to your point @AlexBrovechkin8 they will know a lot more about timing on Backstrom mid-way through the season and either have space for this year or have the ability to move Eller. I’d still prefer to do that this offseason though which will help swing early.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Miller to NYI seems like the one move that could really shake up the East were it to happen.
What does NYI have to offer, though? They have a terrible prospect pool — one of the two or three worst in the league — and are they really going to offer an unprotected 2023 first round pick when they missed the playoffs last year and have a new coach this year? Would be a huge gamble but maybe Lou says f*** it I’m old let’s get nuts.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia

Do it to it, BMac.
I agree, especially with names like kubalik hitting the market, and other middle six options like domi, marchment, etc. that wouldnt cost a fortune finding a forward who can play on that second line and doing it effectively shouldnt be that difficult and keeping it under the cap is entirely possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad