Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
There was a point with Varlamov where you couldn’t trust him not to give another goal right after giving up a goal, and whatever happened he probably wasn’t getting that big contract for his prime here and more resources would go toward developing Holtby and Neuvirth, and Samsonov will have been available for 4 games over close to a calendar year, I don’t know how you can count on him being available and whether his health is a priority

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Games should be postponed. its 4 serious contributors to our team which the Caps should be making abundantly clear to the NHL.

Other teams have had games postponed with less star players affected. Get it done Caps. Also protect the Ovi chase!

It's a punishment. League is trying to get the Caps to go 0-4, so they can send them a message about quarantining properly. It's a fair punishment but they won't go 0-4 because Connor McMichael will be iced.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
so 4 games without our key players and that is just the beginning of the covid season... shut it down, use ahl lineups and wait till real season start, i dont care anymore.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
This will be the first time Orlov's been out of the (regular season) lineup since 2013-2014, and I think the first time he's missed a game at all since the 2016 playoffs (when he was healthy scratched during the playoffs). That said, we're so deep on D this year I don't think we'll take a huge drop-off having Siegs in instead.

We know we can play without Kuzy in the regular season (Eller has proven very capable of playing 2C – incredible for an ECHL player!!!!!1!1!), and Samsonov wasn't playing well anyway so I struggle to think we'll notice his absence exactly. Although that Sheary-Pinho-Sprong line is basically a second fourth line, which isn't great.

The big issue is not having Ovi – that's a lot of offense, especially on the power play, to have out for potentially 4+ games. Very much hoping this forces the team to focus more on defense, knowing one of their main goalscorers won't be there to bail them out.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
so 4 games without our key players and that is just the beginning of the covid season... shut it down, use ahl lineups and wait till real season start, i dont care anymore.

so we can watch AHL players go into quarantine? No thanks. Go have fun watching the NBA, college bball, or soccer. Oh wait they are dealing with the same stuff...

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Would it even be possible to trade Kuznetsov? 5 years at 7.8 million - who is going to take on that contract?

When he's at his best, he's a point a game player and - is it fair to say around 20-25th best center in the league?
Downside: he got busted for using coke. He has a reputation for being lazy, unmotivated, and uninspired (Russian syndrome?) ever since winning a Cup.
He just got caught breaking the covid rules.

What GM would possibly want him on their team? If it was a smaller amount of $$$ on an expiring contract, I am sure there would be takers.
But 5 years at 7.8 million? I just don't see it.

(and before anybody piles on, I am just floating this for discussion - I doubt the team is actually trying to trade him. At least not yet :laugh: )

AZ Caps Fan

Sep 8, 2019
High Desert
Would it even be possible to trade Kuznetsov? 5 years at 7.8 million - who is going to take on that contract?

When he's at his best, he's a point a game player and - is it fair to say around 20-25th best center in the league?
Downside: he got busted for using coke. He has a reputation for being lazy, unmotivated, and uninspired (Russian syndrome?) ever since winning a Cup.

What GM would possibly want him on their team? If it was a smaller amount of $$$ on an expiring contract, I am sure there would be takers.

(and before anybody piles on, I am just floating this for discussion - I doubt the team is actually trying to trade him. At least not yet :laugh: )

I wonder if Ron Francis would take him?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Panik-CMM-Oshie looks like very potent line.

Vrana-Backstrom-Wilson
Sheary-Eller-Sprong

I dont see a problem at all. Use this experience, Caps.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Yeah I don't think they'd expose Kuzy for Seattle to take. It's not like he's a lost cause - his production is down (though not by a lot) and he does some boneheaded stuff like the 5 on 3 the other night, but if Lavi can light a fire under him he
could go back to being as good as we've seen him during the Stanley Cup win. It's just a matter of whether the commitment is there.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
This.
A hotel room is a smaller space than a locker room, period. Adding a second person into that confined space increases the number of particles being shed, obviously. And each subsequent person also increases the number. Meanwhile, as goon says, the physical space remains the same, and the HVAC remains constant (not working harder to circulate the air faster to respond to the increase.)
Four adults in a confined room without masks [mod] are taking not only a huge risk, but a knowable risk.
Every one of them has the cognitive skills to know and understand this, and every one of them chose to behave in a way that some of us (myself included) would consider stupid, but is inarguably against the rules.
Selfish, dumb, and something a leader and captain, especially, cannot do.
(I'm pissed.)
what a take. There was just 1 person with Covid. Obviously, he didn't get infected in that room. The captain and Orlov have antibodies, they are at 0 of spreading and contradicting the virus. The broke the rules, they are punished. But it's funny how now everyone is making a witch hunt from the whole situation.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
what a take. There was just 1 person with Covid. Obviously, he didn't get infected in that room. The captain and Orlov have antibodies, they are at 0 of spreading and contradicting the virus. The broke the rules, they are punished. But it's funny how now everyone is making a witch hunt from the whole situation.
what do you mean they have antibodies? how? and only one person is known to be infected. i'll bet real money there will be more positive tests in the coming days.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Despite what he did last season, Samsonov better learn to be smarter as a person or else he's gonna turn out to be a bust for the Caps going forward. First the ATV accident and now catching the Covid-19(possibly in a careless manner). Someone needs to have a serious talk with the kid!
Possibly in careless manner? They are playing games, travel and contact bunch of people with whom they don't live in the same household. This is already careless. Sitting 4 of them in a hotel room with 2 people have antibodies isn't careless. 4 Star players got Covid without sitting in a hotel room together.

The rules are dump, but they are rules. They got punished for that. Not because they put at risks the whole team lol

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
what do you mean they have antibodies? how? and only one person is known to be infected. i'll bet real money there will be more positive tests in the coming days.
Ovechkin said he has antibodies to a Russian press before the season started (Ovie's mother was sick with Covid when he was in Moscow, so he said it didn't effect him as he had antibodies). Nastya Ovechkina said on her Instagram that both Ovie and Orlov have antibodies. They came from Russia, right now in Russia almost everyone contradicted Covid.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012

wow, what a f***ing fanbase. Being Russian == lazy. I guess 2018 is a distant memory. Absolutely ungrateful and this is the fanbase with their captain being Russian and putting their franchise on the map. All this witch hunt is just eye opening and makes me pissed off.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

your medical license from the University of St Croix is hereby revoked! ;)

Seriously though....read up on antibodies before you get so morally outraged at their persecution.

COVID-19 and Your Health

even with antibodies there is risk of reinfection according to the CDC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig