Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The 3rd goalie has to be a legit goalie. It sounds like there will be a quarantine period for any player coming up from the AHL. If your goalie is dinged, you risk playing 5 or 6 games before you can dress a real goalie. Remember a positive COVID test takes that player our for days.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The 3rd goalie has to be a legit goalie. It sounds like there will be a quarantine period for any player coming up from the AHL. If your goalie is dinged, you risk playing 5 or 6 games before you can dress a real goalie. Remember a positive COVID test takes that player our for days.

One of us has no sense of humor... just not sure if its you or me :D

Reactions: Devil Dancer

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Caps twitter released the vid showing "Capital One" logo replacing the Capitals logo on the helmet, and it did not sit right. I get it, slap the logo on there and get some extra cashflow but to make a flashy video celebrating the replacement of the capitals logo with a corporate logo was gross. I guess that's part of the sponsorship deal...sigh

Reactions: Corby78

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

So it looks like we'll see what the new 3rd alternates are soon..

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Cotton Sherry? Why?

I hate this season already. And they're not even letting mascots into the audience. Yet when I go to Costco its bumper to bumper in that joint. :pout:

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
With Engelland retiring today I’m reminded of this incredible chirp by Backstrom at 1:16

I never caught it before, but the response might be even funnier. "Real original, real original." I guess Engelland heard that kind of stuff a lot.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm only confused about the actual sponsor. Capital One is already written all over the place and outside of it. What's the point of putting it on a helmet too? Shouldn't it be another sponsor like Gillette or Old Spice? Ok those sound far worse but at least they're not already mentioned 10 times per game.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm only confused about the actual sponsor. Capital One is already written all over the place and outside of it. What's the point of putting it on a helmet too? Shouldn't it be another sponsor like Gillette or Old Spice? Ok those sound far worse but at least they're not already mentioned 10 times per game.

Hey if a minority owner wants to funnel his company’s advertising $ into the team’s coffers why not? It’s like asking aren’t 3 National commercials enough lol...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
To me, the helmet ads aren't bad. They're less intrusive than a lot of the ads already in a hockey game. You can much more easily ignore a helmet ad than you can ads plastered on the dasher boards, digital ads projected onto the glass, logos in the ice, and powerplay sponsorships. Even jersey ads, when done tastefully like in the AHL, aren't nearly as obtrusive. Of the following pictures, which sponsorships stick out the most to you?

65K827V.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

np_file_59105.jpeg

4f353f956bb3f7585000000f

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Well this is basically Capital One's back yard why let some other dog come piss in it... /stares at the gleaming Capital One tower in Tysons Corner the future capital of the United States when the corps take over.

Sep 19, 2008
It also helps that the Capitals and Capital One both have Capital. It's basically the same thing. Plus the helmet sponsor is the same as the arena. If it was a Geico text on the helmet it would be weird.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Boooo! I know I’m an old fart but I hate adds on uniforms. Looks cheap to me. Hopefully this is a one year deal to get through limited fans. Awful look
It’s for revenue for the teams and league since gates are off for who knows how long.

I don’t really care either way. If it allows the salary caps to go up in some manner, then it’s a good thing for this team.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Seems like if the max you can carry on the Taxi Squad is 6 players and one must be a goalie I’m having a hard time seeing who the defenseman would be. Likely combination of players will probably be 3F, 2D, 1G. Outside of LaDue and Fehervary D seems pretty thin. Nardella is in Sweden for the season. LuJo needs to play games after missing so much time. Tobias Geisser is
still young and raw and needs to play. Is Alexeyev even getting recalled to NA if he was still playing games in the KHL yesterday? I guess Cameron Schilling may be the guy? There are no other D on NHL contracts after that.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer

It is likely the it is a "Make-Good" from the team/Leonsis to Capital One. Capital One has invested a significant amount of money into the naming rights of the building and in the contract there are probably expectations of certain capacities at the building for events, hockey, basketball, concerts, etc. Since those capacities will likely not be met this year because of lack of fans, the organization...Leonsis...would probably be financially responsible to Capital One for some value because XXXX number of people are not visiting the Capital One Arena this year. Therefore adding the sticker to the helmet can be used as a bargaining chip for Ted to not have to pay for (or pay less) for the lack of attendance.

You will see this from several teams across the league I imagine, especially teams who have owners that own the building I would guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad