Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Seems like if the max you can carry on the Taxi Squad is 6 players and one must be a goalie I’m having a hard time seeing who the defenseman would be. Likely combination of players will probably be 3F, 2D, 1G. Outside of LaDue and Fehervary D seems pretty thin. Nardella is in Sweden for the season. LuJo needs to play games after missing so much time. Tobias Geisser is
still young and raw and needs to play. Is Alexeyev even getting recalled to NA if he was still playing games in the KHL yesterday? I guess Cameron Schilling may be the guy? There are no other D on NHL contracts after that.

Lets keep basics in mind.
1. There is going to be a lenthy quarantine time for any AHL call up.
2. A positive COVID test will put you on covid IR for a week plus.
3, The only players that will be able to fill those line up holes are your roster spares and your taxi squad call ups.
4. You assign other than your best call up options to your taxi squad at your own peril.

The Caps have 8 NHL defensemen. They would probably not use a call up from Hershey all season. Maybe that was forward thinking and the plan all along. Sheary was signed, I'd guess to provide another no prospect NHL player in the group in Washington.

The question you have to ask yourself or your other league GMs is how much of the top of the AHL is going to be sitting in NHL practice facilities. If its a lot, how much is your prospect going to learn playing an what amounts to an ECHL game?

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
To me, the helmet ads aren't bad. They're less intrusive than a lot of the ads already in a hockey game. You can much more easily ignore a helmet ad than you can ads plastered on the dasher boards, digital ads projected onto the glass, logos in the ice, and powerplay sponsorships. Even jersey ads, when done tastefully like in the AHL, aren't nearly as obtrusive. Of the following pictures, which sponsorships stick out the most to you?

4f353f956bb3f7585000000f

LOL I definitely appreciate all the arrows here. Kind of reminds me of this:
imrs.php

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I understand the business behind the decision, I just think its overkill. Entrance, ice, boards, jumbotron, pop-ups and now helmets. And those are just the ones you can see at home. At the game there's probably 10 more including on the tickets and seats. "I mean, whoa daddy! Stand back, man. Shit."

Reactions: Corby78

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
There are plenty of NHL guys still not signed. I’d anticipate these guys take less money to join some taxi squads with it being such a weird year

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I wonder what Matt Cullen and Max Talbot's been up to lately? And what's the possibility they make a call to Hal Gill while they're at it? Brian Penglellan can't help himself with all these pittsburg signings.

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
I imagine that with them against the Cap Copleys 1,1M one way contract might force them to sign someone on league minimum possibly willing to sign a two way deal. IMO if one of Miller/Howard/Anderson would be willing to sign league min deal, possibly two way, while having role of 3rd goalie behind Samsonov and Vanecek as part of Taxi squad, I would like to sign one of them, the question is whether goalies on the market are that desperate or would rather sit out the season or just retire.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Seems like if the max you can carry on the Taxi Squad is 6 players and one must be a goalie I’m having a hard time seeing who the defenseman would be. Likely combination of players will probably be 3F, 2D, 1G. Outside of LaDue and Fehervary D seems pretty thin. Nardella is in Sweden for the season. LuJo needs to play games after missing so much time. Tobias Geisser is
still young and raw and needs to play. Is Alexeyev even getting recalled to NA if he was still playing games in the KHL yesterday? I guess Cameron Schilling may be the guy? There are no other D on NHL contracts after that.
LaDue and Fever would make 9 d-men. Wouldn’t they? So they are def the 2?

TVR is the 7th (unless Siegs is or Jensen is traded)

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I understand the business behind the decision, I just think its overkill. Entrance, ice, boards, jumbotron, pop-ups and now helmets. And those are just the ones you can see at home. At the game there's probably 10 more including on the tickets and seats. "I mean, whoa daddy! Stand back, man. Shit."
Understand, I am not bothered by it and I understand the financial reason, I also get not wanting to see ads anywhere.

But just remember the league is going to be hurting for revenue this year, and probably the next few, so anything that can bring in revenue and not impact the game is a worthwhile investment. The owners and players are responsible for producing certain percentages of revenue, and this year Hockey Related Revenue (The Players side) is going to be down so this is an opportunity to counter that.

Without more revenue the players will have to put more to escrow and the salary cap will go down, which I can assure you is far worse of a prospect than seeing a sticker the size of a ritz cracker on players helmets, which I promise you will not see while they are playing. Only for in between play

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
We have a lot of 2 games in a row against the same opponent this year for understandable reasons and it's even better

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
After seeing the kirby dach you think caps will say ok connor mcmicheal just come on home now?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
After seeing the kirby dach you think caps will say ok connor mcmicheal just come on home now?

Thats pretty harsh hockeykick :laugh:

Take the kid out right before the first game of his last WJCs. Thats like soulcrushing. Is the Dach injury serious? I only got to see the 2nd period but read that Dach injured his hand.

McMichael might be moved back to the 1st line if he's out next game. Always worried about injuries but so far CMM has been pretty durable *knock on wood*

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Thats pretty harsh hockeykick :laugh:

Take the kid out right before the first game of his last WJCs. Thats like soulcrushing. Is the Dach injury serious? I only got to see the 2nd period but read that Dach injured his hand.

McMichael might be moved back to the 1st line if he's out next game. Always worried about injuries but so far CMM has been pretty durable *knock on wood*

initial speculation and who knows how true it is but a broken wrist

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
LaDue and Fever would make 9 d-men. Wouldn’t they? So they are def the 2?

TVR is the 7th (unless Siegs is or Jensen is traded)

with both Lundqvist and Kempny on LTIR you can fit 8 D under the cap. Plus 2 D on the Taxi Squad. So the team could theoretically carry up to 10 D between the main and taxi squads.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
with both Lundqvist and Kempny on LTIR you can fit 8 D under the cap. Plus 2 D on the Taxi Squad. So the team could theoretically carry up to 10 D between the main and taxi squads.
Fehervary is waiver excempt still. Yes? He would be on the taxi squad or mobil AHL. LaDue.....If they want to save cap they can try and send him to the taxi squad. He's not going to play unless there are injuries/covid positives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad