Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
They could also opt to carry 3 goalies on the roster, and everyone else on taxi squad. Also if they need to carry only 12 F, they can bank some cap space. I don’t think we need to do that, but gives us the option since we have the squad traveling they don’t need to worry about a injury on the road

Reactions: Ridley Simon
Sep 19, 2008
I understand the business behind the decision, I just think its overkill. Entrance, ice, boards, jumbotron, pop-ups and now helmets. And those are just the ones you can see at home. At the game there's probably 10 more including on the tickets and seats. "I mean, whoa daddy! Stand back, man. Shit."
When I used to go to every game pre pandemic they installed big HDtv's in the concourse whose sole purpose was to show you ads.

You don't notice anything when you're watching the game from the cheap seats though.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They could also opt to carry 3 goalies on the roster, and everyone else on taxi squad. Also if they need to carry only 12 F, they can bank some cap space. I don’t think we need to do that, but gives us the option since we have the squad traveling they don’t need to worry about a injury on the road
They're not going to be banking space due to Kempny and perhaps Lundqvist on LTIR. If anything they will get as close to the cap as possible to fully utilize the flexibility offered. They're probably going to want to max out the taxi squad either way just to have as many options readily available as possible.

Ryan Miller re-signed with Anaheim yesterday. I tend to doubt they'd carry Copley as the third on the active roster given his cap hit--it's theoretically doable--but waivers for goaltenders will be fascinating. It may force teams into carrying three to avoid losing them trying to sneak them onto the taxi squad. Copley should clear but someone like Dell at $800k would be pretty appealing IMO. Or Domingue at $700k. I'm certain MacLellan is on the lookout for options and you'd think experience would be an added bonus.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
oh yea with LTIR i guess it won't really matter. But yes some teams will probably carry 3 goalies, because if you lose one to waivers, then you're kinda screwed and need to find one to put on the TS. Leafs will probably keep 3G since they have so many guys that are ineligible for waivers they will have no problem placing them on the TS and rotating guys as needed

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Think that would be overkill though? Rather another F or bank space (which I know you cannot with LTIR)

I think the question is with the likelyhood for getting a covid positive dump that takes out several healthy players at once. Same position players maybe be more vulnerable. Do you plan for losing 2 or 3 suddenly? 4 spares allows for a couple injuries and then 2 taken to covid positives.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Maybe they keep Fever in roster and let him play some games. Why not?

TVR and LaDue have to clear waivers to be put on the taxi squad. Fehervary can move freely between roster and taxi squad, but he would only get to play if a defenseman went on LTIR or if there was an LTIR allowance for the COVID list. Those would be the only games he gets to play. So, the why not is that he can play every game at Hershey or 4 or 5 games in Washington at most

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
TVR and LaDue have to clear waivers to be put on the taxi squad. Fehervary can move freely between roster and taxi squad, but he would only get to play if a defenseman went on LTIR or if there was an LTIR allowance for the COVID list. Those would be the only games he gets to play. So, the why not is that he can play every game at Hershey or 4 or 5 games in Washington at most
I understand your position, but they are losing defender in ED probably. Knowing what Fever can do has value. Sitting him endlessly or playing in Hershey - is that really better?

Best case scenario - someone is injured. But Id like not to see that and would rather see rotation between Siege, Fever and maybe someone else. Plenty of b2backs should be a nice reason to do that.

Reactions: Capagonia

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I understand your position, but they are losing defender in ED probably. Knowing what Fever can do has value. Sitting him endlessly or playing in Hershey - is that really better?

Best case scenario - someone is injured. But Id like not to see that and would rather see rotation between Siege, Fever and maybe someone else. Plenty of b2backs should be a nice reason to do that.

I think the priority is making the playoffs. I doubt they mess with the penalty kill by scratching Siegenthaler regularly either. With him sitting 9 on the depth chart, I am not sure how many games he gets

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
Has there been any Laviolette news or interview at all recently? Isnt it kind of weird only thing we saw was an introductory press conference with him and nothing at all since then, with less than 3 weeks until start of the season? It might be due to COVID, but I remember there being way more information and interviews available after we hired Trotz/Reirden..

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
Has there been any Laviolette news or interview at all recently? Isnt it kind of weird only thing we saw was an introductory press conference with him and nothing at all since then, with less than 3 weeks until start of the season? It might be due to COVID, but I remember there being way more information and interviews available after we hired Trotz/Reirden..
From what I've read about Laviolette so far, he is not particularly forthcoming with the media and prefers not to engage with them much.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
So assuming that the top 6 is set and so is Eller, who is everyone left for the rest of the spots?

Dowd
Hagelin
Panik
Hathaway
Sheary
Sprong
Riat
Pinho
Carr

Am I missing anyone else?

Too bad Malenstyn got hurt. He would be in the middle of battling for a roster spot too this year.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
So assuming that the top 6 is set and so is Eller, who is everyone left for the rest of the spots?

Dowd
Hagelin
Panik
Hathaway
Sheary
Sprong
Riat
Pinho
Carr

Am I missing anyone else?

Too bad Malenstyn got hurt. He would be in the middle of battling for a roster spot too this year.

that is probably the list. Dowd, Hags, Panik, Hathaway are probably the locks. I’m also curious who is the first top 6 bump up if vrana can’t consistently compete. Don’t see lavy giving him a long leash.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
that is probably the list. Dowd, Hags, Panik, Hathaway are probably the locks. I’m also curious who is the first top 6 bump up if vrana can’t consistently compete. Don’t see lavy giving him a long leash.

I think Vrana will have a fairly long leash. He might get bumped down for a game or something but realistically Vrana is the only legit offensive player there. This isnt the old days with Vrana and Burakovsky playing for one top 6 spot and Connolly scoring top 6 numbers on the 3rd line. A lot of what the Caps want to do relies on Vrana

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Lavy will probably be a lot less attached to some of these players than Reirden was. So he may dog house a few guys if the effort isn’t what he wants it to be.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think we will see Babcock like mind games, but I also think he’s got a lot more professional “chops” than Reirden, so he will be more willing to penalize players that aren’t giving what he wants.

I’m looking right as Kuznetsov here. With Vrana being part of the next batch. Maybe even Ovechkin and Backstrom, if it looks like they are floating at all. Same w Orlov and Carlson.

Definitely a new sheriff in town.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lavy will probably be a lot less attached to some of these players than Reirden was. So he may dog house a few guys if the effort isn’t what he wants it to be.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think we will see Babcock like mind games, but I also think he’s got a lot more professional “chops” than Reirden, so he will be more willing to penalize players that aren’t giving what he wants.

I’m looking right as Kuznetsov here. With Vrana being part of the next batch. Maybe even Ovechkin and Backstrom, if it looks like they are floating at all. Same w Orlov and Carlson.

Definitely a new sheriff in town.

May. Yes. You are right. He has an expanded roster, so he could scratch a bunch of guys if he wanted to. Joking. Lets look at that for a bit. What does dog house for Carlson and Orlov look like? What does Kuzy dog house look like? Call me crazy but with a short season and a really tough division the idea of blowing off several games to set a tone doesnt seem ideal.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
May. Yes. You are right. He has an expanded roster, so he could scratch a bunch of guys if he wanted to. Joking. Lets look at that for a bit. What does dog house for Carlson and Orlov look like? What does Kuzy dog house look like? Call me crazy but with a short season and a really tough division the idea of blowing off several games to set a tone doesnt seem ideal.
This is a first impression of what....4? His contact is 4 years? Or was it only 3.

regardless, Lavy isn’t know for tolerating boorish behavior. I can def see ice time reduction and juggled lines to prove a point. 56 games or not, he needs to win the room and be the alpha dog. Not Tortorella type alpha, but close.

I fully expect some of the “stars” to get called out and have their ice time adjusted. I don’t think it will be a public/media lashing, but def in the room and on the ice.

this team has always had a country club atmosphere stigma tied to it, save when they didn’t and won the Cup.

I don’t see you as a rock the boat type when it comes to your commentary about the team. But I think there will be a lot more rocking of said boat than we’ve seen around here in years, and it’s needed.

how many posters complain about the teams “give a shit” quotient? Many do, and it’s due to being merited. Sure, it’s not as bad as some make it out to be, but it’s definitely there.

you think Lavy will tolerate that crap, at all? I sure as heck don’t.

Reactions: Corby78

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think Lavy will set the tone early for the guys. Mistakes are one thing, lack of effort or repeated critical mental errors are much more egregious and will be dealt with more harshly if warranted I suspect.

I don’t see Carlson and Orlov being doghouse candidates, but Vrana and Kuzy, they’ll need to show early they’ve given up their timeshare ownership in the doghouse....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is a first impression of what....4? His contact is 4 years? Or was it only 3.

regardless, Lavy isn’t know for tolerating boorish behavior. I can def see ice time reduction and juggled lines to prove a point. 56 games or not, he needs to win the room and be the alpha dog. Not Tortorella type alpha, but close.

I fully expect some of the “stars” to get called out and have their ice time adjusted. I don’t think it will be a public/media lashing, but def in the room and on the ice.

this team has always had a country club atmosphere stigma tied to it, save when they didn’t and won the Cup.

I don’t see you as a rock the boat type when it comes to your commentary about the team. But I think there will be a lot more rocking of said boat than we’ve seen around here in years, and it’s needed.

how many posters complain about the teams “give a shit” quotient? Many do, and it’s due to being merited. Sure, it’s not as bad as some make it out to be, but it’s definitely there.

you think Lavy will tolerate that crap, at all? I sure as heck don’t.

1. None of us know who was called out by what coach behind closed doors. That almost never leaks out. Therefore if Lavy wants us to know a player was called out, he is going to do it in a presser himself.

2, Rocking the boat. I have specifically been a talent/performer manager. Some people response to being embarrassed or humiliated. Most dont. The fast way to lose to room is for the group not to like the way an individual player was treated. How much boat rocking are you expecting? I asked you in my previous and beyond mentioning ice time adjustment you didnt say much.

Vrana, Carlson, Orlov. What do you see as dog housing them? I see the options as pretty limited. Show me what youve got

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It’s clearly reduction of ice time, benching and scratching in that order.

Why are you expecting standard discipline to be cast aside Tex? I think you’re overthinking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad