Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Per RMNB, he will still work with the Caps as well. Both are part-time gigs.

I fully expect Orpik to be a primary assistant coach when his life settles down a little. Clearly those that know him want to keep him involved be it BC or the Caps. They make room for him. That said there are many organEYEzations that when someone like Orpik askes to be involved in some way, they tell him they are full and there's no place for him. Good to know the Caps and Boston College are better than that

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

He will be missed! But we'll always have this!

giphy.gif

And therefore, this:

51-s5WQx9VL._AC_.jpg

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
With Lundqvist no longer playing, our defense better really step it up. And that includes from the forwards. The last two years were... less than ideal defensively. I think Vanecek will be fine with Samsonov, but the two kids are going to need a hell of a lot of help.

Wasn't sure exactly how well Lundqvist would do in a Caps uni, but at the very least he would have provided Sammy some stability and guidance/mentorship.

We'll see how the youngins do on their own.

Last edited:

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Love this team but they aren’t going anywhere with Sammy and Vanecek as the goalie tandem in a shortened, intense season. Neither have proven diddly in the NHL and seems crazy to put the ambitions of a championship on two essentially rookie goaltenders. Just my two cents. Cheers.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
I liked the insurance of a veteran goalie, especially in a 56 game season. I want to see what Vanacek can do as well, but I would rather it not be this season when every game is so important.

They can run with the tandem they have and pick up a veteran later if necessary but by the time the trade deadline comes around it may be too late. Especially if (god forbid) something happens to Samsonov.

They'll do their due diligence on the remaining free agent goalies I would assume, but there's not a lot of options.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Love this team but they aren’t going anywhere with Sammy and Vanecek as the goalie tandem in a shortened, intense season. Neither have proven diddly in the NHL and seems crazy to put the ambitions of a championship on two essentially rookie goaltenders. Just my two cents. Cheers.

If there is any position where a guy can carry a team with little NHL experience, it’s goalie. It also helps that Sammy has always projected as a solid starter and vanny as a backup, so we’re not asking them to reach. Not the greatest situation but not a dooms day IMO

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
If there is any position where a guy can carry a team with little NHL experience, it’s goalie. It also helps that Sammy has always projected as a solid starter and vanny as a backup, so we’re not asking them to reach. Not the greatest situation but not a dooms day IMO
I think it could be a dooms day situation in a shortened season. You have your potential starter in Sammy coming off of an injury and you are playing a shortened season where the margin of error will be much smaller. If you think your team has a limited window left to be competitive it seems problematic to bank it all on an inexperienced goalie with zero plan B.

I don’t have a solution in mind at the moment, just pointing out the obvious. I don’t want to waste a season by banking all championship aspirations on a rookie.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think it could be a dooms day situation in a shortened season. You have your potential starter in Sammy coming off of an injury and you are playing a shortened season where the margin of error will be much smaller. If you think your team has a limited window left to be competitive it seems problematic to bank it all on an inexperienced goalie with zero plan B.

I don’t have a solution in mind at the moment, just pointing out the obvious. I don’t want to waste a season by banking all championship aspirations on a rookie.
Laviolette isn’t know for failing right off the bat.

they will have some money to spend at the TDL now. And that’s assuming no other injuries (prob bad assumption).

as much as I wanted to see what Hank could do for this team, I’m not worried.

I also wouldn’t be shocked if he still ended up playing later on, if this can be “fixed”. Maybe it cannot — I don’t know near enough about what he’s dealing with — but we will see.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I count 5 times since Patrick Roy in 1986 where a rookie goalie led a team to a Stanley Cup win. Roy, Ward, Niemi, Murray, Binnington. 6 if you include Ken Dryden, but we're not the 1970s Habs, so lets not make that leap.

Point is, its not out of the question, and Sammy technically isn't a rookie anymore anyway. I didn't bother to research experience level of Stanley Cup winning backups, but someone else may want to knock that out :D

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I count 5 times since Patrick Roy in 1986 where a rookie goalie led a team to a Stanley Cup win. Roy, Ward, Niemi, Murray, Binnington. 6 if you include Ken Dryden, but we're not the 1970s Habs, so lets not make that leap.

Point is, its not out of the question, and Sammy technically isn't a rookie anymore anyway. I didn't bother to research experience level of Stanley Cup winning backups, but someone else may want to knock that out :D

That’s more times than Lundqvist has won the cup! :sarcasm:

(This is obviously a joke post, don’t get upset)

Reactions: Capagonia

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

5 times in 34 years says it can be done. I could be wrong about Roy but its possible that not one of the five were the goalie plan for that season. At least 3 of them were back ups and Binnington wasnt even thought of as an NHL player. It can be done and has worked as an emergency in the past.

The Caps have tried this before. Varly was a rookie twice. Neuvirth. Holtby. With Ovechkin years burning I would rather not trust the net on a cup contender to a crap shoot.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
5 times in 34 years says it can be done. I could be wrong about Roy but its possible that not one of the five were the goalie plan for that season. At least 3 of them were back ups and Binnington wasnt even thought of as an NHL player. It can be done and has worked as an emergency in the past.

The Caps have tried this before. Varly was a rookie twice. Neuvirth. Holtby. With Ovechkin years burning I would rather not trust the net on a cup contender to a crap shoot.
This x 10.

Reactions: txpd

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
My worry is more consistency and longevity within the season, rather than a lack of talent. Can Samsanov win us some games? Absolutely. Can he lose us some games too? Yes. He didn’t have a consistent first year in the NHL, after having an inconsistent first year in the AHL. Hard to imagine finding a solid backup isn’t on GMBM’s shopping list during the season.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Problem being that teams for this upcoming season are talking about running with 3 goalies are we going to even have options if Sammy falters. At the Trade Deadline I'm willing to bet that goalies aren't moved at all this year and if so only for a premium.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Goalies are overrated. Sam and Van need to be just above average for this team to be.. let's say a sure fire playoff team. How far they'll go depends on how much speed they have added this offseason. If it's the same old fart hockey everybody has been witnessing all last year long..well at least I'm glad for Schultz. That guy bamboozled a whole damn hockey franchise.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
As far as free agency goes there's really only 5 "options."

Ryan Miller (40) - Best underlying stats of the remaining goaltenders, but had been trending downwards the last three seasons, is the oldest option and has been pretty adamant about remains on the west coast for the past 6 or 7 years.

Craig Anderson (39) - Decent numbers on a very poor, rebuilding hockey team. Could show some life and has been relatively consistent but at his age its tough to judge what he could bring season to season.

Jimmy Howard (36) - He was god-awful last year but was an all-star in 2019 (not that there were a ton of options on Detroit). His 2-23-2 stat-line from last year is likely enough to scare most teams off.

Cory Schneider (34) - Likely not an NHL calibre goaltender and is fairly likely to sustain some sort of injury throughout the season. Very risky.

Me (26) - Likely not an NHL calibre goaltender and is fairly likely to sustain some sort of injury throughout the season. Very risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad