Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Schultz is a questionable move, I like the TvR and Lundqvist moves, and mostly everything else has just been organizational depth. Once we get closer to training camp it will be easier to see how BMac did this offseason, since I doubt he's done with how we are cap wise.

Reactions: Corby78

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If Schultz fails we are back to Orlov-Jensen and then TVR is 3RD. Pretty normal end result Id say.
2y contract is not much. Salary is not that big. There is a risk he cant perform to the level they want, sure.
But why would we talk about it so much before even watching him play for Caps?

Defense is better on paper and there is more depth (should be around playoffs). Also there is deadline. Let Lavi coach some at least.

For forwards the key factor will be performance of 92 and 13 anyway.

Hags and Panik are suspect, but I dont think we will see big addition to the 3rd line. I dont see free space for that. Maybe Panik+ f0r solid RW?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I get going out and getting the guy that fits Lavi’s system, and I’m glad that is what our GM is doing. My problem is I don’t thing that player can still do those things on any meaningful level.

The lundquist move is good because he is being asked to be a mentor and backup. If we were wanting a 65 game starter the move would suck because he isn’t that guy anymore. Shultz is a risk and our window is small and cap is tight. 4 mil is a big risk

Reactions: Kalopsia

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
hockeykicker said:
Despite the team being very close against the cap ceiling, MacLellen elected to gamble most of the team's remaining cap space on Schultz, a puck-moving defenseman who he believes will fit nicely into new head coach Peter Laviolette's system.
"We really like his offensive potential, his ability to join the rush, ability to quarterback a power play," MacLellan said. "I think [Peter Laviolette's] teams activate defense aggressively, so we were trying to find a guy that fit that bill for him.

The Capitals see Justin Schultz in a top-four role

laviollete told bmac what his system entails and what type of player he needs and bmac went out and got him. i firmly believe that if laviollete asked for a defensive defender then they would have signed someone else
That is not GMBM "literally" saying Laviolette wanted Schultz. He said he believed Laviolette liked to have players with the type of skillset Schultz has.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
If Schultz fails we are back to Orlov-Jensen and then TVR is 3RD. Pretty normal end result Id say.
2y contract is not much. Salary is not that big. There is a risk he cant perform to the level they want, sure.
But why would we talk about it so much before even watching him play for Caps?

Defense is better on paper and there is more depth (should be around playoffs). Also there is deadline. Let Lavi coach some at least.

For forwards the key factor will be performance of 92 and 13 anyway.

Hags and Panik are suspect, but I dont think we will see big addition to the 3rd line. I dont see free space for that. Maybe Panik+ f0r solid RW?
I agree with the bold completely. If kuzy can actually looks like he gives a damn and vrana takes that step up then we have a chance, if not, i see us as a wild card team

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Hard part is you don’t know Schmidt is getting dealt when you sign Schultz.

I still probably wouldn’t have signed Schultz at 4m per. Maybe would’ve waited. But that isn’t GMBM’s style. And I don’t want to change the man.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
As was mentioned before there was never a choice of choosing Schmidt over Schultz. One of the reasons that Schmidt brought nothing was that most teams spent their moves right away to get the roster they wanted. When Vegas knew they needed to move Schmidt the market was thin.

Or.....GMBM tells the media that he didnt get the defenseman he needed because he was holding out for Schmidt who didnt become available or was moved to a different team. You guys would be all ok with that. Right? BTW....Schmidt shoots left and I would bet Schultz shooting right was a factor in that move.

Just speculating here but I am thinking Laviolette is going to use Dillon-Carlson against the opposing top lines and use Orlov-Schultz to push the offensive. This probably also means Carlson back on the regular PK.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Yeah I think its too early to make any judgements on the offseason right now. The Caps are probably not done yet. Once the dust settles down on the big name free agents, probably will see some movement again.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Schmidt trade is an absolute steal for VAN. No matter the cap situation of Vegas, the Canucks grabbed the second best defender this offseason for a third in two years. Incredible.
They’re in cap trouble themselves. Only about $2m in cap space with RFAs to sign and still need to add some D. Probably begging someone to take Eriksson off their hands

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Yeah I think its too early to make any judgements on the offseason right now. The Caps are probably not done yet. Once the dust settles down on the big name free agents, probably will see some movement again.
Perhaps. I see them definitely moving something to get a bit of breathing room to fill out the roster but not sure they sign anyone else IMO.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Perhaps. I see them definitely moving something to get a bit of breathing room to fill out the roster but not sure they sign anyone else IMO.

To be honest, I think the season is going to be a crapshoot no matter what. Could be playing in a bubble 3 games in a row against the same team for a 50-60 games season in some weird division realignment to make way for another 24 team playoffs with no fans or 20% occupancy.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Not foreseeing Schmidt is ok on its own but Schultz being terrible compounds the salt in the wound. If it was Barrie instead (still meh but better player on a better contract) or a trade for Savard where we got ripped off it would still be much easier to swallow.

Reactions: Corby78

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Why don’t we wait until Schultz laces his skates before we write his obituary.
Schultz isn't some rookie. He's laced up his skates before. And plenty of us watch hockey beyond just the Capitals.

A couple brief samples from this past playoffs (Schultz on the ice for the GWG against @ 3:45, one of 4 Pens just milling around puck watching in the crease when they get beat)

Schultz fails to challenge Byron on entry, let's Kotkaniemi slip behind him leads to goal against (starting at 0:17), caught flat footed at the opposite blueline, three Canadiens beat him back to the zone - not great for a D who's strength used to be his skating (starting at 4:13), also on the ice for Petry's OT GWG

Reactions: Kalopsia

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Schultz isn't some rookie. He's laced up his skates before. And plenty of us watch hockey beyond just the Capitals.

A couple brief samples from this past playoffs (Schultz on the ice for the GWG against @ 3:45, one of 4 Pens just milling around puck watching in the crease when they get beat)

Schultz fails to challenge Byron on entry, let's Kotkaniemi slip behind him leads to goal against (starting at 0:17), caught flat footed at the opposite blueline, three Canadiens beat him back to the zone - not great for a D who's strength used to be his skating (starting at 4:13), also on the ice for Petry's OT GWG

Respectfully, I trust BMac and our Pro scouts over your evaluation.

Sep 19, 2008
pwbdsqlejrs51.png

Brennan: Maybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale.
Dale: I would follow you into the mists of Avalon if that’s what you mean.

Sep 19, 2008
The internet said Schultz did better without Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson isn't here

Not a fan of ripping people apart without them playing a second for the team. Let's see how he does before we start passing judgement.

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad