Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Your takes are usually wrong. This one is the wrongest of all of them. No team has ever won a Cup with a goalie that wasn't on the very top of his game. Olympic gold as well.

You cannot win an NHL championship with a goalie who isn't playing well, period, end of discussion.
Wasn't even starting discussion though. It's just my view. You gotta have a good goalie but it's the easiest position to take care of today. It's much more difficult to actually build a legit defense and offense.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sammy was always going to be the expected starter, always. Hank was the vet backup. Everyone was fine with that. That plan changed, unforeseen.

Now some people are saying that if the choice is Jimmy Howard or Vanacek, then just roll with Vanacek... as the backup to Sammy. There just aren't any good vet backup options out there, but I promise you GMBM is exploring his options right now, given its been what, a whole day since this news broke?

I'd rather roll with the two kids than sign a clearly washed up terribad old vet who can't play. If you have some middle ground option, I'm all ears. But Sammy was always going to be the key to this season and clearly the future goalie who's time has come.

Lol who exactly is selling this solution?!

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
My question is when Samsonov struggles, who will get the blame? Lavy, Ov, Backstrom, Carlson or Schultz. It wont be Sammy

Lol, let's mine for some drama in a future scenario that may or may not happen.

What kind of bs is this... every player is and will be crapped on, with and without reason, except Ovi, Wilson, and somewhat Backstrom.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They really needed Samsonov a year ahead of the schedule he is on now. They very likely made salary cap decisions based on paying a young under control goalie rather than a mature free agent eligible goalie. I am hoping for the best but I have little confidence that this is going to work out.

My question is when Samsonov struggles, who will get the blame? Lavy, Ov, Backstrom, Carlson or Schultz. It wont be Sammy

Sammy will indeed take a lot of heat (if he struggles) after how the season ended.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Lol who exactly is selling this solution?!

No one is advocating for that, but TX is conflating the fact that that is essentially the only option with people thinking we roll with Sammy and VV as what is preferred.

Point is, is there is a competent vet available no one would object too strenuously, but the names being dropped as targets are in fact washed up and terribad. Jimmy Howard, for example. Not wanting Jimmy Howard does not equal being happy to roll two youngsters.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Thats right. Its always been Sammy for this year. Ready or not. My point all along has been that situation is a grenade with the pin pulled.

The pin was pulled about 2 years ago when the Caps signed a roster all the way to the Cap, knowing they had some big contracts due and would have to dump some vets. Unfortunately Holtby played his way out of being "indispensable" so he was one of those vets that had to go to keep the other 18 guys. Not saying I think this was the perfect strategy, but the decision was coming for a while and there wasn't much to do about it after the 2019 offseason roster moves.

I mean, they had a terrific vet mentor backup signed for dirt cheap... but this late in the offseason, its hard to make that same move twice once Hank went down.

Reactions: txpd

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If Caps have good goalie coach we will be fine anyway. Samsonov should be under pressure of not messing up another time, so he is in perfect position to give back with his best performance. If he is ultimately not capable we are f***ed anyway.

PS: Also as I've stated before several times, if things go south and its required to sign/trade for some solution it will only force GMBM to trim some expensive bottom-6 forwards which could be blessing in disguise.

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lol, let's mine for some drama in a future scenario that may or may not happen.

What kind of bs is this... every player is and will be crapped on, with and without reason, except Ovi, Wilson, and somewhat Backstrom.

Its a posting board. We cant speculate on who this season's whipping boys will be? There are always a couple. Last season I saw real signs of Backstrom falling into that. While all players get crapped on for a bad play or an apparant bad play. There are others that are clearly the focus. Example. Tomas Fleischman. We already of a consensus that we dont want Schultz on the team.

Its going to be a 56 game season. Even the booing and bashing needs to be in midseason form early

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sammy will indeed take a lot of heat (if he struggles) after how the season ended.

We will see. Hopefully it wont come to that. My view is that they are just going to have to get the kid thru this season and hope the older guys can keep their game up for a real run the next season. I have confidence in the goalie just not yet. I see a lot of Varly there

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
PS: Also as I've stated before several times, if things go south and its required to sign/trade for some solution it will only force GMBM to trim some expensive bottom-6 forwards which could be blessing in disguise.

Those bottom 6 is often where the cups are won. Lars Eller already proved the point. Brett Connolly was a difference maker at a bargain and Panik's inability to fill that role really hurt the team. You can lose a playoffs on one goal against and a quality pk is required. Hagelin is a difference maker. Dowd is reliable and as cheap as you can get. They still have a hole at 3rw. Once moved to the 4th line Panik was good. Overpriced for that role perhaps. As long as there isnt someone taking 3rw Panik and Hathaway have to stay. Agree?

Besides, things arent going to go south. Its more likely that Samsonov just plays like a rookie and will get over it in time

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Those bottom 6 is often where the cups are won. Lars Eller already proved the point. Brett Connolly was a difference maker at a bargain and Panik's inability to fill that role really hurt the team. You can lose a playoffs on one goal against and a quality pk is required. Hagelin is a difference maker. Dowd is reliable and as cheap as you can get. They still have a hole at 3rw. Once moved to the 4th line Panik was good. Overpriced for that role perhaps. As long as there isnt someone taking 3rw Panik and Hathaway have to stay. Agree?

Besides, things arent going to go south. Its more likely that Samsonov just plays like a rookie and will get over it in time

Hagelin has been dreadful in the playoffs and is a large part of the bottom 6 problems in the playoffs. 2 assist in 15 playoff games for the Capitals. Beyond awful. Difference maker lol

Reactions: Capagonia

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
If Caps have good goalie coach we will be fine anyway. Samsonov should be under pressure of not messing up another time, so he is in perfect position to give back with his best performance. If he is ultimately not capable we are f***ed anyway.

Yeah. The coach they have for goaltending is average at best.

Reactions: Capagonia

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hagelin has been dreadful in the playoffs and is a large part of the bottom 6 problems in the playoffs. 2 assist in 15 playoff games for the Capitals. Beyond awful. Difference maker lol

In the past 2 playoffs the Caps pk has given up 5 ga in 55 times short. Thats good for 2nd in the league. They got him specifically for the penalty kill. You are saying that keeping goals out of your net is not making a difference. There were only 4 Caps forwards with this past post season with more than 1 point. Other than Hagelin, Eller, Backstrom, Panik, Kovalchuk, Vrana, Dowd, and Hathaway had no more than 1 point. The playoffs before there were only 5 forwards with more than 2 points. This includes nothing from Vrana.

If you dont like Hagelin, ok. His value to and the success of the penalty kill is evident in the numbers and the roll he plays(1st in sh/toi among forwards over the past 2 post seasons and 3rd overall behind only Niskanen and Orpik). I think those are enough numbers to make it not a joke.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
In the past 2 playoffs the Caps pk has given up 5 ga in 55 times short. Thats good for 2nd in the league. They got him specifically for the penalty kill. You are saying that keeping goals out of your net is not making a difference. There were only 4 Caps forwards with this past post season with more than 1 point. Other than Hagelin, Eller, Backstrom, Panik, Kovalchuk, Vrana, Dowd, and Hathaway had no more than 1 point. The playoffs before there were only 5 forwards with more than 2 points. This includes nothing from Vrana.

If you dont like Hagelin, ok. His value to and the success of the penalty kill is evident in the numbers and the roll he plays(1st in sh/toi among forwards over the past 2 post seasons and 3rd overall behind only Niskanen and Orpik). I think those are enough numbers to make it not a joke.
I agree that Hags is terrific on the PK but he’s an offensive black hole and makes way too much for what he brings to the table and would be my first choice of players to jettison out of the bottom six. BMac’s decision to pay for grit and defensive responsibility at the expense of depth scoring has been a real issue for this team the past few years.

Reactions: crab

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I agree that Hags is terrific on the PK but he’s an offensive black hole and makes way too much for what he brings to the table and would be my first choice of players to jettison out of the bottom six. BMac’s decision to pay for grit and defensive responsibility at the expense of depth scoring has been a real issue for this team the past few years.

A black hole when? Last season he had an injury and missed most of November. After returning and getting his legs back he had 20pts in his last 34 games. Is that what you mean by black hole?

What defensive responsibility for depth scoring do you mean? I see Panik in and Connolly out. Repeating what Connolly did for the budget line he filled is a rare score.

Last edited:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Its a posting board. We cant speculate on who this season's whipping boys will be? There are always a couple. Last season I saw real signs of Backstrom falling into that. While all players get crapped on for a bad play or an apparant bad play. There are others that are clearly the focus. Example. Tomas Fleischman. We already of a consensus that we dont want Schultz on the team.

Its going to be a 56 game season. Even the booing and bashing needs to be in midseason form early

Yeah. And when people go out of their way fishing for drama and directing discussion towards the right/wrong whipping boys, posting boards turn to crap.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
While I understand the concern of the goalie situation, and there is room for concern. But I’m still more concerned about the Schultz anchor dragging the defense down.

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
While I understand the concern of the goalie situation, and there is room for concern. But I’m still more concerned about the Schultz anchor dragging the defense down.

I dont get the Schultz signing. I have to think we dont see the plan. My guess is a rearranging of the defense to fit new priorities. Like Orlov playing with Schultz as a purely attack pair with Schultz facilitating far more offense from Orlov. But I dont know. Thats just a guess

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I mean, if you don't have an expensive aging core, then you could afford an expensive veteran to platoon with your young/unproven goalie. One way or another, you're going to be short on talent/depth somewhere.

Could, but that was never the plan.

Sammy just screwed a good plan up with a 4 wheeler.

Even if they had the space they wouldn’t have resigned Holtby (or any other expensive free agent) IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad