Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Interested to see what Lavi brings to the table, but to be honest... not that hype this year.

I'll start caring about the Caps again when they look like they care about the Caps.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
They have not decided on how waivers apply to the taxi squad. If taking a player from main roster to taxi squad means passing thru waivers, that will effect how they move. I think how damaged the AHL competition is by 8 top end AHL players added to NHL rosters will effect how teams operate too
But they did decide, no? Taxi squad works just like assigning someone to minors. Placing a player on the taxi squad is the same. If they are waiver eligible, then they go on waivers if not then they go straight to the squad.

anyway seems like a useful tool to carry some of our top prospects, at least McMichael and Lapierre then make a decision to assign them to Junior if it comes back

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They have not decided on how waivers apply to the taxi squad. If taking a player from main roster to taxi squad means passing thru waivers, that will effect how they move. I think how damaged the AHL competition is by 8 top end AHL players added to NHL rosters will effect how teams operate too
My understanding is waivers are required to join the taxi squad. That might make Vanecek more coveted for teams that want to carry a third goaltender on the active roster and could play into the Caps making him the back-up (or at least keep him on the active roster). But he'll have to earn it and adding more competition wouldn't hurt. It's hard to say how easy it would be to trade for more G depth at this point so a PTO or cheap signing makes sense.

I doubt Lapierre is on the taxi squad. Teams will want potential contributors, much like the black aces in the bubble. McMichael should have a decent shot given his potential vs. assigning him to the OHL and him not being available until that season is over. Their most skilled alternative for the top nine would be...Carr? It's unclear if there may be a mandated frequency of games for taxi squad players, as some have mentioned. There's also the question of burning the first year of CMM's ELC if he's just a rotational depth piece at best. A mandated rotation is hard to imagine in forcing teams to not ice their best roster...even if there's the potential to game the system a bit.

I read earlier today players recalled from the AHL will have to quarantine for seven days and provide four negatives tests before promotion so that's an additional barrier to stashing quality prospects in the AHL. Copley, Fehervary and LaDue are probably locks, although with all of the RD maybe Alexeyev figures in instead since he can play both sides. Carr & Pinho are probably the best bets as filler up front, though both could make the active roster as extras. Given that there's certainly an opportunity to sign someone for the league minimum with more experience than those two, pushing them down the depth chart. Depth will be as valued as ever and there remain some decent UFAs looking for spots (Perry, Athanasiou, even the likes of Brassard, Abdelkader, Boyle, Lewis or Gauthier would be upgrades from an experience standpoint. I might give Carr a shot but Pinho is pretty fringe. It might be worthwhile to let the prospects battle it out but particularly with Malenstyn's injury a signing or two could be warranted.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But they did decide, no? Taxi squad works just like assigning someone to minors. Placing a player on the taxi squad is the same. If they are waiver eligible, then they go on waivers if not then they go straight to the squad.

anyway seems like a useful tool to carry some of our top prospects, at least McMichael and Lapierre then make a decision to assign them to Junior if it comes back

Last I saw that was an open question. I could have missed the update

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
So does anyone know about prospects being eligible for the Taxi Squad? Like if they aren't old enough to play in the AHL, does that mean they can't be placed on the Taxi Squad? Or is that only an AHL rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->