Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 5: Training Camp yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Even if Kempny is cleared to play at the start of the season, it's hard to see him get heavy minutes out of the box of any form if he still hasn't been skating here at the end of August. (edit: I see him doing a little light skating work in that second instagram that Sam posted)

Opening day is only what, a month and a week away?

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Even if Kempny is cleared to play at the start of the season, it's hard to see him get heavy minutes out of the box of any form if he still hasn't been skating here at the end of August. (edit: I see him doing a little light skating work in that second instagram that Sam posted)

I see our October D pairings like this:

Orlov - Gudas
Fehervary - Carlson
Siegenthaler - Jensen

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

If Kempny is ready to play, he is going to play. At least as much as usual. He doesn't play heavy minutes.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Id like AA and MF to burn some AHL villages first. Kempny is good fit with Carlson. Makes him move less. Less energy spent in RS is better for 74 too

Reactions: Marshall

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Of course I didn't mean they didn't have a defenseman under contract that they could put a uniform on. The had an injured 2nd year kid. They had a bone rookie. They had an aging veteran whose knee was so bad he couldn't walk up stairs. They didn't have a player that could handle a top 4 even strength shift for an entire NHL game.

I am not sure about the testament part. Kempny's game is limited. He is a 5d that plays 4 at even strength. He plays no special teams. He is a left shot and so he doesn't fit the power play. He is not good enough at penalty killing to play there except in emergency. Both Orpik and Seigenthaler were better at that than Kempny which isn't much of a testament.

Orpik was better than Kempny but he couldn't play the minutes anymore. Seigenthaler wasn't ready for that level of NHL assignment. Jensen was good enough but a right hand shot. They didn't have a player in the top 7 that could move up and play those minutes.

I disagree with your assessment of Kempny so strongly that I'm not even going to bother having a debate on the matter.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I disagree with your assessment of Kempny so strongly that I'm not even going to bother having a debate on the matter.

Oh, please. Fill me in. I am not NHL scount/coach quality. I take a lot from how the coaches use a player. In the case of Kempny, they use him with Carlson at even strength. As left shot he doesn't get pp time. He doesn't play penalty kill. Since the same was true of Orlov, a player the team was confident in working that assignment would have been working it. Beyond that issue he is solid and reliable at even strength. He doesn't play a shutdown role but he carries his load well.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Inserting either AA or MF into an NHL lineup without either of them having played a moment of North American professional hockey is not something that seems advisable. They have the "shiny and new" factor that is loved, but the Caps have excellent defensive depth - and an advantage of that is letting the kids develop.

If they are obviously the best players on the ice, that's one thing. If not (and it's likely they won't be) Hershey is a fantastic place for them.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I actually think Kempny is quite underrated on here. His toolbox of skating, puck movement, and tenacity in the defensive zone is perfect for today’s game.

Ok...I am persuadable. How is he underrated? He is an even strength only player. He is limited by that. What he does, he does very well(with the exception of all the penalties)
but where I am concerned he is only underrated if you believe that his coaching treats him badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad