Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 5: Training Camp yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
For years I heard about how the Caps were going to unload Orpik's contract through the expansion draft. I heard about other teams who could surely drop X player's bad contract through the expansion draft.

None of that happened. It worked out for the Caps in the end (though I'd love to have Nate back), but stop with the expansion draft predictions.

Seattle will probably take a decent youngish player from the Caps, or they will negotiate an alternative deal.

Reactions: koalabear9301

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
For years I heard about how the Caps were going to unload Orpik's contract through the expansion draft. I heard about other teams who could surely drop X player's bad contract through the expansion draft.

None of that happened. It worked out for the Caps in the end (though I'd love to have Nate back), but stop with the expansion draft predictions.

Seattle will probably take a decent youngish player from the Caps, or they will negotiate an alternative deal.
Im very confident the Kraken will take Andre Burakovsky. Caps can’t afford to keep all their young forwards, and he’s the guy that will arguably get pinched.

If I were GMBM, I’d try and trade Bura now for a middling return.

(HA)

In all seriousness, the guy I worry about the most is probably Jensen. Unless team goes 4 and 4, they will protect Carlson, Orlov, Kempny - leaving Jensen and Siegenthaler exposed.

Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Wilson, Vrana are all top forwards to be protected. Ovechkin will wait to resign.

So its either lock down Eller, Oshie, Panik and the aforementioned 4F’s, or leave those 3 available (plus others) and protect Jensen or Siegenthaler.

I’d wager they will keep the forwards, since the franchise has so many defenseman ready to contribute.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Jensen and Kempny are both Sept 1990 birthdates. I would suggest that they would protect Jensen over Kempny. Projecting an improved season from Jensen in the top 4. Of course there is enough time for Seigenthaler or Djoos to mess that up. Those guys would have to be protected....yes?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I really can’t see them protecting both Orlov and Kempny with all the LD we have in the pipeline.

These predictions are moot anyways because a lot could change before the ED

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I really can’t see them protecting both Orlov and Kempny with all the LD we have in the pipeline.

These predictions are moot anyways because a lot could change before the ED
As of now, it seems pretty straight forward to me.

F: Ovechkin, Backstrom, Willy, Vrana, Kuzy
D: Carlson, Orlov, Siegs
G: Sammy

Alexeyev & Fehervary exempt.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
We just saw how screwed this team was when Kempny went down before the playoffs last season. I think they'd surely protect him unless someone has surpassed him by then. Jensen i'd say they would gladly lose if it meant keeping all their younger assets.

Reactions: shtorm2005

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We just saw how screwed this team was when Kempny went down before the playoffs last season. I think they'd surely protect him unless someone has surpassed him by then. Jensen i'd say they would gladly lose if it meant keeping all their younger assets.

They were screwed because they didn't have a back up for that spot when Kempny went down. If the Caps were down to just Carlson on the right side, the same would have happened. Some LD would have had to play out of position. By the time of the X draft you would think that Seigenthaler and at least one more of their young LD depth would be a decent option for 2LD.

I think a revisit to this question after 20 or 40 games would be wise. I don't think we saw the best that Jensen has to offer last season and we are unsure what post injury Kempny will be. In my view it could go either way.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I agree that Kempny is likely to be protected at this point because he is a good player, but Kempny's injury torpedoing the team is more an indictment of the coaching staff's inability to handle one injured player and less a statement on how essential Kempny is to the team.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not nearly as high on Jensen as others here, so unless he shows a lot more this year I'd be happy if he's the pick.

I’m with you (on his rating). I’m think he looks solid if not really good against 3rd pair matchups, but I’m very skeptical of him doing more than just being able to tread water on the 2nd pair.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I agree that Kempny is likely to be protected at this point because he is a good player, but Kempny's injury torpedoing the team is more an indictment of the coaching staff's inability to handle one injured player and less a statement on how essential Kempny is to the team.

It's bit of both, but it's also a statement on how good of a player Kempny is next to Carlson, who didn't get anywhere near his Playoff level from year ago without Kempny next to him. They have good chemistry together, and that's hard to find. It's certainly not found by lumping any other D right now on the roster there. And that became painfully obvious recently.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's bit of both, but it's also a statement on how good of a player Kempny is next to Carlson, who didn't get anywhere near his Playoff level from year ago without Kempny next to him. They have good chemistry together, and that's hard to find. It's certainly not found by lumping any other D right now on the roster there. And that became painfully obvious recently.

Bingo. It’s not that Kempny the individual is all that hard to replace, it’s the chemistry with our top D-man that is. Carlson not being “freed up” to play his game hurts us big time.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Bingo. It’s not that Kempny the individual is all that hard to replace, it’s the chemistry with our top D-man that is. Carlson not being “freed up” to play his game hurts us big time.

Exactly.

What Jensen brings is easily replaceable.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
We are bound to lose a good player in the ED, likely, even if we make a deal with Seattle. To me, the ED protection list is all about asset management. You protect your most valued, talented, and young assets. I actually think that - barring any big trades/adds between now and the ED - our ED protection list will be a lot easier to create than the Vegas ED. There is a clear differentiation this time around - at least to me - between high value assets that should be protected and solid players that will have to be left exposed, to protect those assets.

There's a big difference between losing a Kempny/Jensen (no matter how solid they are, especially the former), compared to an Orlov, Wilson, or Vrana.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
From purely an asset perspective (even if he's not better right now), there's no way you can convince me to protect Kempny - who I love as a player - or Jensen over a young, solid defender in Siegs, who is six years younger than both.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I've really been thinking about this over the last couple/few months.

If you guys had to guess, over the course of the next couple of years, who - if any - of our top players could be moved? Unless the salary cap grows more rapidly (which could happen with a new TV deal), we really don't have much wiggle room when it comes to adding significant additions to the roster.

It makes me wonder that if push comes to shove (we know that BMac is very proactive), who would be moved?

Does that conversation down the road began and end with one - or a combination of - Eller, Oshie, Hagelin, Panik, Hathaway, Kempny, and/or Jensen? It's certainly an interesting thought because this roster is bound to change over the next couple/few years, but, how?

Unless Kuzy has one or two more years of inconsistent performances, I don't see the Caps moving him at all.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
From purely an asset perspective (even if he's not better right now), there's no way you can convince me to protect Kempny - who I love as a player - or Jensen over a young, solid defender in Siegs, who is six years younger than both.

Well you could convince me if Seige doesn’t play well lol. ;)

He did look like a player we should want to protect at the ED.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I've really been thinking about this over the last couple/few months.

If you guys had to guess, over the course of the next couple of years, who - if any - of our top players could be moved? Unless the salary cap grows more rapidly (which could happen with a new TV deal), we really don't have much wiggle room when it comes to adding significant additions to the roster.

It makes me wonder that if push comes to shove (we know that BMac is very proactive), who would be moved?

Does that conversation down the road began and end with one - or a combination of - Eller, Oshie, Hagelin, Panik, Hathaway, Kempny, and/or Jensen? It's certainly an interesting thought because this roster is bound to change over the next couple/few years, but, how?

Unless Kuzy has one or two more years of inconsistent performances, I don't see the Caps moving him at all.

For me, anyone not 8 or 19 could be moved in the right hockey trade.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Maybe. Who was it you thought should have been skating those 2nd pair minutes? Seigenthaler? Orpik was the 2nd best available LD but couldn't walk. Seigenthaler was a bone rookie. Djoos was not up to it after his injury. IMO Jensen was a better option than either of those 3 but his right shot created issues of their own. Do you honestly think Seigenthaler was up to that assignment?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Keep this in mind. When the Caps lost Schmidt they lost a player they were healthy scratching. If Seigenthaler is protected over a top 4 defenseman the impact is much more dangerous. Maybe between now and then Seigenthaler becomes a top 4 defenseman and plays Kempny down to the 3rd pair. That would a different set of priorities.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

As solid as Siegs is, he has two even younger LD behind him in Alexeyev and Fehervary who have even more potential than Siegs. I would rather hold onto the RD in Jensen if he shows well enough this year.

Edit: From purely an asset perspective -

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad