Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 5: Training Camp yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Partnering with the Caps 1D doesn't really translate into the team's top pair. The Caps basically have 2 2nd pairs. They have a defensive oriented pair and a more offensive oriented pair. No way that Reirden chooses to use Kempny against the opposing top line.

Where 42 is concerned, that is the spot the Caps used Djoos before Kempny

We had a 1A 1B Thing with Niskanen here, we'll see what happens this year.

Either way my point still stands, why put Fehervary above Siegenthaler on the depth charts only to send him down.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We had a 1A 1B Thing with Niskanen here, we'll see what happens this year.

Either way my point still stands, why put Fehervary above Siegenthaler on the depth charts only to send him down.

Its just a guess but I would guess that it has to do with the skating. Djoos and Kempny can skate and Seigenthaler less so.

Carlson is the Caps best offense producing defenseman. Stick him with any rookie and you Pejorative Slur that part of his game. All that rookie to be able to make up ground better with speed allows Carlson a little more space to play his game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Caps still have 3 goalies. Copley requires waivers and IS doesn't. Signs are pointing toward Copley as the backup

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The Caps still have 3 goalies. Copley requires waivers and IS doesn't. Signs are pointing toward Copley as the backup
Even with Stephenson stashed at Hershey and carrying 22 Copley as backup would be $45,127 over the cap if my math is right unless someone claims Djoos, then it would fit. (Boyd or Leipsic, Sieg inactives)

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The roster will be finalized once Kuzys suspension is up. I kinda hope Djoos gets claimed or goes unclaimed and is moved in a trade so he doesn’t take playing time from the young guys in Hershey

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice

Oh wow. One of Lewington, Sieg, or MhoF is gonna be playing this year.

Djoos played himself out with that arbitration run.

If Kempny goes on LTIR, we can have Leipsic, Stephenson, Boyd, Dowd, Hathaway, Djoos, Lewington, Siege, and Fehervary with the team. The only players to sent down are Copley, Gersich, Sgarbossa and O'Brien.

This gives us ten games time to trade Djoos and to make a decision on one forward to place on waivers from Leipsic-Stephenson-Boyd.

It is Kempny on LTIR scenario! Well it is Djoos on waivers and not Copley. They go with 3 goalies and Samsonov is our number 2! Todd got me with his interview where he says they keep only two goalies.

With Kempny back we will sent down Siege, Copley and one of Boyd-Steph-Leipsic.

giphy.gif

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He never bulked up. I'll never waiver. 180 pound defensemen are just not a thing.... unless they are very skilled offensively and can skate like the wind. That was always a red flag to me, his skating was not on par with someone his weight.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Funny cause I still think of djoos as a young guy
He's still young, but by young guys I meant our LD prospects that are all down in Hershey. We have AA, LuJo, Nardella and Geisser down there already without Fehervary, who could be on his way to Hershey eventually. I'd rather Djoos get a chance to stick in a lineup full time somewhere else if he isn't in Washington's plans

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Excited to watch this team this year. I actually took the time to watch the last 4 preseason games and the energy and effort seems to penetrate all aspects of this team.

The one area I’m concerned is the activating of defense in all 3 zones. Its wonderful to watch when its working. But when everyone is not reading the play, it can lead to terrible looking breakdowns.

For instance on the first goal last night, it was a 3 on 2 with Panik slightly chasing Aho. Jensen laid a wonderful hit in the neutral zone on the puck carrier but an easy flip turned a 3 on 2 into a 2 on 1. That’s never good. Holtby should have stopped the puck. But the forwards need to be hustling on fire to get even with their man or the defenseman cant make that play.

During the regular season we’ll get a lot more possession and penalties to make the risk worth it. Its the post-season that sometime doesn’t make it smart especially with leads.

That said... man I love seeing these dmen create pressure as they close the gap on the puck carrier or keep the puck in the ozone. Fun fun hockey to see.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He never bulked up. I'll never waiver. 180 pound defensemen are just not a thing.... unless they are very skilled offensively and can skate like the wind. That was always a red flag to me, his skating was not on par with someone his weight.

I agree with this. But to be fair, he did play some very good games for the Caps. He wasn't good lately though and using arbitration probably didn't help him either. Caps might have considered keeping him with a different contract. Even if not, it surely would have made a claim more likely.

Reactions: RandyHolt

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Its just a guess but I would guess that it has to do with the skating. Djoos and Kempny can skate and Seigenthaler less so.

Carlson is the Caps best offense producing defenseman. Stick him with any rookie and you ****** that part of his game. All that rookie to be able to make up ground better with speed allows Carlson a little more space to play his game.

If a rookie is not good enough than why is he in the NHL in the first place? I don't buy that every rookie is automatically awful. And Caps have had plently of rookies who got comfortable in the NHL real quick.

It's also only the regular season, so letting players grow is part of putting the best team forward for the playoffs.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Have to think somebody will claim djoos, yes the tag is 1.25, but there are a lot teams who would like young d prospects

Mid season yes. No doubt. But did anybody get claimed yet? I don't think so. Lots of players down in the AHL now who could easily play in the NHL. Don't think the level will take a hit because of the expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->