Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 1: The BMac Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Someone has to be moved so who’s it going to be then? They physically can’t bring everyone back. Hypothetically it’s easier to replace Niskanens minutes than it would Holtbys. They can sign a one year deal with an UFA if need be.

Ive said Orlov. He plays a more limited role. His cap hit is also in the 5m range. Moving him clears the same sort of cap space. He's a left shot defenseman whose role is more important than what Seigenthaler should be handing but replacing Niskanen's minutes will be far harder.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is all based on 2014-2018 Niskanen.

2019 Niskanen was garbage.

2020 Niskanen is unknown but reasons to be pessimistic outweigh reasons to be optimistic for me.

Ok...Still Niskanen played the 2nd most TOI. He plays more situations and more critical situations than what Orlov does.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Hehe, one year ago it was a popular opinion here that Samsonov was a waste of #1 pick... Now he's supposed to save the cap salary by replacing Holtby which is playing on a level above Samsonov or abstract average NHL goalie.

Funny swings.

Not by a lot of us. Samsonov is the real deal and he will get a chance sooner rather than later. It's a business and sometimes you got to make tough calls, but just like Trotz, with Holtby, you got know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
It sounds sacrilegious, but the correct answer is to move Holtby this offseason for valuable picks/prospects when he can bring back the most value in return. He and Backstrom are up after next season; which would you rather pay big money for the next eight years? Especially considering Samsonov is waiting in the wings.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It sounds sacrilegious, but the correct answer is to move Holtby this offseason for valuable picks/prospects when he can bring back the most value in return. He and Backstrom are up after next season; which would you rather pay big money for the next eight years? Especially considering Samsonov is waiting in the wings.

Holtby is worth more to the Caps mentoring Samsonov next season than he would return in a trade.

And, if Samsonov looks ready by the deadline, maybe you see what you can get for Holtby.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Holtby is worth more to the Caps mentoring Samsonov next season than he would return in a trade.

And, if Samsonov looks ready by the deadline, maybe you see what you can get for Holtby.

If the Caps are in playoff position at the TDL, Holtby will not be traded, period.

If the Caps are on the bubble, he won’t be traded.

If they are bottom dwellers, his value is still very high to a contender and they “might” at best trade him in that scenario. That’s if Samsonov is playing exceedingly well in the net and Holtby has played average to meh.

I think Holtby plays better with competition on the bench, I don’t think Copley was ever a threat. Last year Grubs had taken it from Holtby and pushed him to come back in the playoffs pissed off and focused.

I just don’t see them being anything but in playoff position or bubble at worst.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ive said Orlov. He plays a more limited role. His cap hit is also in the 5m range. Moving him clears the same sort of cap space. He's a left shot defenseman whose role is more important than what Seigenthaler should be handing but replacing Niskanen's minutes will be far harder.
I think I’d argue the opposite. On the left side you have Kempny as the only real player who has played big minutes and he might not be truly back to game shape for quite some time. The next group from Kempny is a combo of Djoos, Siegenthaler, LuJo, AA, Fehervary or an UFA. The young guns are not capable of being trusted in a top 4 role or even a top pair role until Kempny comes back. They should get the sheltered minutes Djoos has been getting for the past few years. Multiple people have made it sound as if Orpik won’t be back this year so maybe they know something that isn’t public yet? :dunno:

On the right side you can use both Carlson and Jensen to help replace the minutes that Niskanen brings. Carlson needs to earn his contract and I’m expecting another level next year. You also have Djoos and Siegenthaler who have NHL experience at RD and there are a few UFA options that could be available for the right deal.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If the Caps are in playoff position at the TDL, Holtby will not be traded, period.

If the Caps are on the bubble, he won’t be traded.

If they are bottom dwellers, his value is still very high to a contender and they “might” at best trade him in that scenario. That’s if Samsonov is playing exceedingly well in the net and Holtby has played average to meh.

I think Holtby plays better with competition on the bench, I don’t think Copley was ever a threat. Last year Grubs had taken it from Holtby and pushed him to come back in the playoffs pissed off and focused.

I just don’t see them being anything but in playoff position or bubble at worst.

I don't see him getting moved either, I was just kind of spit balling. I think he walks after next season because they just can't afford to keep him and/or they are just ready to move to Samsonov.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018

I disagree. Get a first rounder from a team like Calgary or Edmonton for Holtby now, and sign an competent UFA goalie to fill in alongside Copley until Samsonov is ready.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I disagree. Get a first rounder from a team like Calgary or Edmonton for Holtby now, and sign an competent UFA goalie to fill in alongside Copley until Samsonov is ready.

Do you think a pending UFA gets a first rounder though? I guess if the team is desperate enough......

I don't think you can move Holtby until you see for sure what you have in Samsonov.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Do you think a pending UFA gets a first rounder though? I guess if the team is desperate enough......

I don't think you can move Holtby until you see for sure what you have in Samsonov.
Agreed and that is what we have done since 2010.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think St. Louis makes for a tougher out than BOS/CBJ because their defense is better. I tell ya....they have that look about them.

Agreed on Holtby. I don't put it all on him but he could have been the difference and wasn't.

I tried running the numbers for next season via CapGeek and they look pretty rough. We don't know the cap number yet but at, say, $82.5M (a $3M bump), they don't have much cap space unless maybe they happen to bridge Vrana. They're going to need to move one of the bigger salaries for sure and I don't hate the idea of it being Holtby if the right offer comes in. I think getting the right offer could be the difference in whether it's him, Niskanen or perhaps Orlov. It's not just next season but the season after that where it becomes essential to have space cleared out (and also the season thereafter when The Big Dog is up). They're really going to need some good quality prospects joining the ranks on the cheap, both up front and on defense. Samsonov in for Holtby would help but they're really going to need quality fresh skaters to help get back to becoming a more energetic attacking team again. Ideally I think that's the way to replace Connolly, improve their overall depth, remain viable and juggle the near-term cap mix.

I think CBus has that look. However, I wouldn’t at all be upset for Blues fan to get their ring. We are in the Pro Sports era of “long time losers....winning!!” since the BoSox of 2004 broke the curse. Lots of franchises getting a bite at the Apple for the first time (or a VERY long time), so they work. CBus or San Jose does too.

I’m not happy about Holtby possibly leaving. At all. But that the realities of a Sal Cap world and having 8/19/92/74 on the roster. Add in 43/9/2/70 — that 8 players north of 5m = 55m or so. Less than 30m for 18 players. Math isn’t good.

@Raikkonen — I never disparaged Samsonov. Like ever. Always thought he was here to take the reigns. So him playing up to this level was always the mindset for me. It all part of the above consequences.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Many stated we should have taken skater instead of a long term goalie project.

Anyway. Now its trade Holtby and Samsonov ready for Vezina.

Crazy talk. Sammy is nobody at the NHL level, some are certainly putting a cart before a horse here.

Releasing Connolly allows to keep all others this summer. Take a deep breath.

Reactions: ovikovy817

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice

Crazy talk. Sammy is nobody at the NHL level, some are certainly putting a cart before a horse here.

Ovechkin was nobody at the NHL level in 2005

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Sometimes the eye test is on point. Samsonov is the going to be a very good goaltender in the NHL. I will be 100% shocked if Holtby is a Capital beyond next season.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
The big thing you have to answer about Holtby is this:

Can you count on him in critical moments to make saves that don’t completely change the face of the game?

To me, outside of 1 year, that answer is no. He lets in way too many easy goals that totally deflate the game

Now, is he good? Yes, of course. But holtby over the years is becoming the anti-clutch

And you can’t have that in the playoffs

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

Who says Holtby would be a good mentor?
He looks lost without Mitch Korn

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

For teams that miss out on Bob and his 10 mill FA request. Holtby contract will look like a steal

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Who says Holtby would be a good mentor?
He looks lost without Mitch Korn
Sad to say it but i think its pretty much written on the wall at this point that Korn was the driving force behind Holtbys success. That reason alone was enough to keep Trotz here as him and Korn come as a packaged deal. I recalls some time ago Holtby struggling without Korn, and then upon Korn's return as goal tending coach Holdby's numbers jumped up again.

So basically what im saying is ship Holby off to the Islanders for Barzal and everyone should be happy

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Better to move on a year too early than a year too late.

Is it? Ovechkin and Backstrom as top players in the league are on a year to year basis. That could stop at anytime. Do you really want to flush one or maybe the last of those seasons away because you didnt have a goalie? Because you sent your vezina trophy/cup winning goalie off a year early?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad