Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 1: The BMac Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
@calicapsfan

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...zs-isnt/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.dc774a335a23

Trotz and the Capitals parted over financial differences; his contract included an automatic two-year extension for winning the Stanley Cup, and while it carried a small raise, it still would have left him considerably underpaid compared with coaches with similar résumés. Trotz wanted market value, and Washington wanted him to honor the contract that he had agreed to four years earlier.

Washington was often on Trotz’s mind this season as he drew from his experiences with the team, even though he avoided directly mentioning the Capitals around the Islanders. And sometimes Washington was on his mind because he can’t help but care about the organization and its players after their four years together culminated in the franchise’s first Stanley Cup title. Trotz said he reached out to a few people in Washington after the team’s first-round loss, but then he had his own series for which to prepare.

Khurshudyan makes it seem like a very amicable parting, just about money, not disrespect.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He hasn't played in a while right? Probably just sending him home.
Seems like it and with AJF, Sutter, Clark and Snively likely all in the mix next season in Hershey it makes sense to let him go.
Can they still sign Priskie to burn an ELC year? The ultra optimist in me would say they told Priskie they were gonna make changes to the blueline and that he'd get a very good chance of cracking the roster.
Too late for that now. They could trade Priskie's rights and acquire a player under contract once the spot is opened up, though. Or just have a little added flexibility for other deals should they materialize.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Freeing up a contract spot...

Makes sense. I’d be pretty pissed if I were him. He barely got into any games and the games he did get into he played very well. He also played the last few regular season games and potted a couple of goals only to be a healthy scratch once again. Meanwhile borderline AHL guys like Steve Whitney are getting a sweater regularly

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
He hasn't played in a while right? Probably just sending him home.

Can they still sign Priskie to burn an ELC year? The ultra optimist in me would say they told Priskie they were gonna make changes to the blueline and that he'd get a very good chance of cracking the roster.

Can't help but remember how hyped up Gersich was last year... and he hasn't had the best start to his career.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Not a chance that moving both Niskanen and Orlov is a good idea. I said that it could be done with an incoming top end defensive d coming in. Those don't grow on trees. I would love to know how they defense leads and kill penalties if both Niskanen and Orpik don't return?

If Nisky is moved and/or Samsanov makes some starts next year, I think there is more of a priority in resigning Hagelin to a hopefully cap decent deal. Can't gut the PK unit too much, and Hagelin is a master at hounding and wasting time on the PK. He also keeps Backstrom and Oshie fresh. I didn't think Jensen was bad at all on the PK, but its a lot of unknowns (with Nisky gone, Jensen moving to Nisky's spot, and playing Samsanov).

One good thing about our early playoff exit (eww I still can't believe we lost), is that hopefully the contract negotiating starting point starts lower for both Hagelin and Vrana (no shows points wise).

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
@calicapsfan

Khurshudyan makes it seem like a very amicable parting, just about money, not disrespect.
Meh. Doesn't seem all that amicable at the front office level. He still cares about the players. That's not surprising. He also still welched.

And I was thinking about your comments on my player vs. coach comparison. While you're right about the CBA, when was the last time a coach renegotiated a standing contract? AFAIK it's nearly unheard of. I continue to think he was out of bounds and am glad the org didn't cave to his demands. They'd have no negotiating leverage going forward. Any coaching candidate would just assume they could re-structure their deal later.

Beside that, if it was just about the money AFTER they won the Cup, why did he tell Torts he was leaving after the first round? Also, I call bullshit on him not planning to coach this year. He signed with the Islanders almost immediately.

This is a nice story a year later, but to me it doesn't totally pass the sniff test. It reads like a PR fluff piece designed to smooth things over after the fact. (And I do similar stuff for a living. I know from whence I speak.)

Last edited:
Reactions: tenken00

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Hehe, one year ago it was a popular opinion here that Samsonov was a waste of #1 pick... Now he's supposed to save the cap salary by replacing Holtby which is playing on a level above Samsonov or abstract average NHL goalie.

Funny swings.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Hehe, one year ago it was a popular opinion here that Samsonov was a waste of #1 pick... Now he's supposed to save the cap salary by replacing Holtby which is playing on a level above Samsonov or abstract average NHL goalie.

Funny swings.

Sink or swim for Samsanov. He's going to have to play some to see what we have in him due to the decision on Holtby's contract.

I don't know how we can afford Holtby, especially when Backstrom needs a new deal that exact same year. And then Ovie the next year. Maybe both Backstrom and Ovie take team friendly deals, but you can't pin hopes and dreams on that. Especially with Backstrom helping out on his last deal.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I think all signs point to Holtby leaving when his contract is up. I think the same for Niskanen, as I don’t think they are ready to trade him yet. Perhaps next season as it goes along it could happen. But I wouldn’t count on that either.

If Samsonov continues to be the guy down in Hershey, then he’s going to be the guy in DC.

I love Holtby — but he blew it against Carolina (looking back, and at what is happening now — Caps really could’ve won back to backs here — Isles aren’t anything special so it would have been surviving the Bruins/CBus winner, which probably would’ve been a coin flip...and then whatever Western team survives will be worse than the Bruins/CBus winner). He is now what I’d call “streaky” in the playoffs as 3 of his last 4 runs haven’t been all that great. Maybe even not that good.

He’s going to want north of 6m. Team can not afford it and have the depth needed to compete.

It's not so much the money but the term that would be the issue with resigning Holtby. Any efforts to resign Holtby would be sending the wrong message to Samsonov. Samsonov is about the same age and may even be a bit older than when Varlamov and Holtby were getting games with the Capitals. I've pretty much stayed out of commenting on Niskanen and Holtby but with Holtby having one year left on his contract and Niskanen two, BMAC should look to move both of them as soon as possible. That's just under 12 million being cleared from the cap with their departure. I'd have no problem with the Capitals rolling with Samsonov and Vanecek next season and moving Copley out as well. Prefer getting something for Holtby and Niskanen now rather then see them walk for nothing.

Jun 15, 2007
Does Samsonov go 22 in a redraft? Probably lower right?

He hasn't proven anything and 2015 is stacked.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think Jensen could pretty easily pick up the PK work that Niskanen currently handles. He was Detroit's best PK defenseman in terms of minutes played and goals against rate, so I really don't see an issue with him picking up Niskanen's minutes especially since Niskanen wasn't very good this year on the PK.

I'm less sure Jensen would be able to handle top 4 minutes at ES in Washington even though he did fine enough in Detroit. The problem is that Niskanen himself has shown he can't really handle those minutes any more so I'm not exactly sure how much downside there is to giving Jensen a shot in the top 4 if they don't get a clear upgrade elsewhere.

Niskanen is a 2 in this group. He is the lead defenseman on the shutdown pair on a cup winning team. He is 2nd in TOI. He plays in all situations. MacLellan just described Jensen as a 4/5. One is not the other. The Caps got Jensen because both Orlov and Kempny had proven unable to handle the penalty killing and because Djoos appeared unable to play at his previous level after the surgery. You cant compare minutes in Detroit on a loser to minutes on the Capitals. Jensen would tell you that he got overwhelmed at times.

The best you can hope for is that Jensen can take some of the strain off of Niskanen. A couple minutes a night would be enough. The Capitals need both Niskanen and Jensen. Not just one of them. The downside to giving Jensen a shot at the top 4 depends on what kind of shot that is. If by a shot you mean moving Niskanen and relying on Jensen, then the downside is that Niskanen level defensemen at the trade deadline are rare. Jensen was the best available this deadline and he is a 4/5. Not a 2. If by a shot you mean increase is responsibilities with Niskanen still there, then I wouldn't argue. But that isn't what we are talking about.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
with Holtby having one year left on his contract and Niskanen two, BMAC should look to move both of them as soon as possible. That's just under 12 million being cleared from the cap with their departure. .

Just so you know that they could easily miss the playoffs if they did that. The Caps dont get very far had they chosen Varly or Neuvirth instead of Holtby as the keeper. What evidence do we have that Samsanov is as good as either Varly or Grubauer and how much NHL experience is he going to need to achieve that level of play?

Take 2 of the 3 best defensive defensemen off the team and then put a rookie goalie behind them and that is a recipe for distaster.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Just so you know that they could easily miss the playoffs if they did that. The Caps dont get very far had they chosen Varly or Neuvirth instead of Holtby as the keeper. What evidence do we have that Samsanov is as good as either Varly or Grubauer and how much NHL experience is he going to need to achieve that level of play?

Take 2 of the 3 best defensive defensemen off the team and then put a rookie goalie behind them and that is a recipe for distaster.
You're right! Let's keep them so we can experience another first round exit instead. Either way, Holtby's gone after next year as he'll want a salary bump and term, why not get something for him now and at the same time clear his salary for cap purposes and help with other roster moves.

As far as Niskanen goes, some here are living in the past when they think that a player can return to what they once were, as if they are frozen in time. I don't care if Niskanen has one more stellar year in him and this past season was an anomaly for him, time to get something for him while clearing some cap as well.

Niskanen/Holtby/Burakovsky to Calgary for their 1st this year, 2nd next year TJ Brodie and Sam Bennett.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am pretty sure that MacLellan is committed to trying to win the cup next season. Pretty sure the roster wasn't the reason they lost in the first round this year. Cup Kuzy and first round exit Kuzy was the difference. Kuzy will be on the team next season.

I am fairly sure MacLellan isn't going to move a guy so he can get something for him unless he has a way to improve the team in the process. If Niskanen with a full offseason returns to cup Niskanen, there is no way they trade him for a pick and cap space. You know that.

Who the hell knows about Holtby. Its like some want to cut him loose without any confidence that there is a quality replacement. Or seem to forget just how hard it was to find a playoff goalie with 4 or 5 NHL upside goaltenders to choose from. Here we have one guy in the system who is not ready to play next season much less back stop a team that intends on winning. Its that bird in the hand thing. Often its the best decision

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I am pretty sure that MacLellan is committed to trying to win the cup next season. Pretty sure the roster wasn't the reason they lost in the first round this year. Cup Kuzy and first round exit Kuzy was the difference. Kuzy will be on the team next season.

I am fairly sure MacLellan isn't going to move a guy so he can get something for him unless he has a way to improve the team in the process. If Niskanen with a full offseason returns to cup Niskanen, there is no way they trade him for a pick and cap space. You know that.

Who the hell knows about Holtby. Its like some want to cut him loose without any confidence that there is a quality replacement. Or seem to forget just how hard it was to find a playoff goalie with 4 or 5 NHL upside goaltenders to choose from. Here we have one guy in the system who is not ready to play next season much less back stop a team that intends on winning. Its that bird in the hand thing. Often its the best decision
Someone has to be moved so who’s it going to be then? They physically can’t bring everyone back. Hypothetically it’s easier to replace Niskanens minutes than it would Holtbys. They can sign a one year deal with an UFA if need be.

Jun 15, 2007
Niskanen is a 2 in this group. He is the lead defenseman on the shutdown pair on a cup winning team. He is 2nd in TOI. He plays in all situations. MacLellan just described Jensen as a 4/5. One is not the other. The Caps got Jensen because both Orlov and Kempny had proven unable to handle the penalty killing and because Djoos appeared unable to play at his previous level after the surgery. You cant compare minutes in Detroit on a loser to minutes on the Capitals. Jensen would tell you that he got overwhelmed at times.

The best you can hope for is that Jensen can take some of the strain off of Niskanen. A couple minutes a night would be enough. The Capitals need both Niskanen and Jensen. Not just one of them. The downside to giving Jensen a shot at the top 4 depends on what kind of shot that is. If by a shot you mean moving Niskanen and relying on Jensen, then the downside is that Niskanen level defensemen at the trade deadline are rare. Jensen was the best available this deadline and he is a 4/5. Not a 2. If by a shot you mean increase is responsibilities with Niskanen still there, then I wouldn't argue. But that isn't what we are talking about.

This is all based on 2014-2018 Niskanen.

2019 Niskanen was garbage.

2020 Niskanen is unknown but reasons to be pessimistic outweigh reasons to be optimistic for me.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
But the numbers are the numbers, hence why MacLellan has to at least think about shedding some salary and restructuring. They can certainly keep Niskanen, Holtby and Orlov but does it cost them all of Connolly, Burakovsky, Hagelin & Orpik? It seems very possible, barring Vrana being bridged cheaply, the cap rising considerably and/or the last two signing very cheaply. This roster isn't coming back, it's just a matter of how drastically it's altered. It's about picking and choosing weaknesses and strengths to the best of their ability.

I don't know the answers but even the most conservative, fixed mindset type off-season would be very tough to pull off. As much as it's tempting to give them another kick at the can, they also have to react to where the league and age curves are taking them. I think it's inevitable that they ought to be concerned a little less about some of the recent key pieces and more with constructing the next means of winning because they're not going to end up being altogether the same. They're going to need to develop a fair amount of glue and intangibles internally, esp. if Hagelin & Orpik depart. They've got some depth help on the way but need more, particularly quality cheap middle six wingers and perhaps ones that can PK. There's the trade deadline, if not UFA or value trades before then, but a scenario where their third-line wingers are Boyd and, say, AJF or something is none too appealing either. There aren't going to be any zero risk choices this off-season. It's most likely to be about what sucks less, what favorable opportunities materialize and what are the most responsible choices in the near-term.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
31 Thoughts: Penguins' big decisions include what to do with Malkin - Sportsnet.ca
4. The list of those interviewed for the Oilers job is believed to include Sean Burke, John Ferguson, Mike Futa, Ross Mahoney, Scott Mellanby and Pat Verbeek. Mike Gillis had a phone interview, but nothing in-person. If Holland and/or McCrimmon do not interview, will someone from this group re-enter the picture? It sure sounds like the organization wants someone in place in the next week-to-10 days. They are delaying scouting meetings until the new leader is hired, which makes sense....

20. Another team that will not rebuild with its franchise player still around: Washington. The NHL is moving to a place where young players are getting big cash, but the Capitals have estate-planning to do. Nicklas Backstrom and Braden Holtby will be approaching 33 and 31 when their contracts are up next summer. Alexander Ovechkin will be months shy of 36 when he’s up in two years. The closest comparison is probably San Jose. Brent Burns was 32 when he received an eight-year extension, Marc-Edouard Vlasic 30 and Logan Couture 29.

They gave Joe Pavelski a five-year contract when he was 30, and we haven’t even mentioned Patrick Marleau or Joe Thornton. Everything Capitals GM Brian MacLellan is considering revolves around Ovechkin, the greatest player in franchise history. (Backstrom and Holtby are pretty high on that list, too.)

Washington would love to get Jakub Vrana done long-term and keep Brett Connolly, but you know they’re also going to see what Backstrom/Holtby are thinking. Then, there’s The Great Eight. There was a time they thought he’d finish this contract and consider playing in Russia. Now? He had another incredible season and competed as hard as anyone in the playoffs. The Gretzky all-time goals chase is on, and what a story that pursuit would be. At the trade deadline, I think the Capitals “softly” checked the market on Matt Niskanen, but, even though he didn’t have a great year, he’s a good player. One exec said Washington made it clear “it would hurt” to move him. (They did put winger Maximilian Kammerer on unconditional waivers on Tuesday.)
Lots of good info.

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010

2020 Niskanen is unknown but reasons to be pessimistic outweigh reasons to be optimistic for me.

I'm hoping that BMac and his staff are basing 2019 roster decisions on predicted/probable performance. They should know what factors affected each guy during the season just ended ... nagging injuries, weariness from a short summer, age-related deterioration of skills, and so forth. Some guys clearly picked it up for the loffs but were laggards for much of the RS (Orpik). Others had some spots of stellar play but generally underperformed in the loffs (Holtby). I wouldn't call Nisky garbage but 18-19 was way below previous seasons' performance levels. Why? If age and/or a chronic injury is a major factor, I'd be happy if they moved him for a decent return.

Holtby is a concern. Not quite Bob II, but it'd be nice if a whisperer could help him return to V-form.

In BMac I trust.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

2019 Niskanen regression seemed more about ability than anything else. Comparatively Orlov’s regression seemed more mental which is theoretically easier to bounce back from.

I’m willing to put my eggs in the “Nisky got old” basket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad