Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 6: 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
RMNB actually had an article up recently about a few designers' conceptual screaming eagle jerseys with a modern look:

These concepts reimagine the Washington Capitals’ screaming eagle design as a modern-day alternate jersey

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey-tyler.jpg

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey-tyler2.jpg

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey-lucas.jpg

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey5-kp8.jpg

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey4-kp8.jpg

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey2-kp8.jpg

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey1-kp8.jpg

Non-screaming eagle concepts:

capitals-alternative-jersey-lucas3.jpg

capitals-alternative-jersey-lucas2.jpg

capitals-alternate-jersey-lucas1.jpg

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey-tyler3.jpg

capitals-alternative-jersey-tyler2.jpg

capitals-atlernative-jersey-tyler1.jpg
For my money anything with the Weagle as the primary logo is a definite pass. The Weagle can't stand alone as a primary logo and is perfect just as it is being a secondary logo. I also don't like the W. Love some of these base concepts and color schemes but I'm a hard no on anything with the Weagle or the W as the logo.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The color scheme is on point for sure and I agree the template is very clean and crisp but I think the jersey could be improved. I really hate piping and I don't like random blobs and shapes of color just to add color.

But man I do not understand how you don't like these. The colors are so sharp and they contrast perfectly with the ice. I think they'd be even better without the stars above the logo and I'd probably take the stars off the pants too if they used them full time but I'd keep the stars on the sleeves. The white shoulder pads along with the white and blue stripes on the bottom of the jersey are perfection.
0710524a-7a5d-4a4d-bafa-1bc036968653.png

Stars feel cluttered and cartoony.
The temperature of the blue is far too bright. Two bold primary colors interacting so much just clashes (and doesn't fit any good relationship in color theory).
The logo harkens back to a time when the Capitals won a whole lot of nothing, including when they were literally the worst team in NHL history.
The jersey as a whole is just a whole bunch of terrible 1970s design choices.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
RMNB actually had an article up recently about a few designers' conceptual screaming eagle jerseys with a modern look:

These concepts reimagine the Washington Capitals’ screaming eagle design as a modern-day alternate jersey

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey-tyler.jpg

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey-tyler2.jpg

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey-lucas.jpg

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey5-kp8.jpg

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey4-kp8.jpg

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey2-kp8.jpg

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey1-kp8.jpg

Non-screaming eagle concepts:

capitals-alternative-jersey-lucas3.jpg

capitals-alternative-jersey-lucas2.jpg

capitals-alternate-jersey-lucas1.jpg

capitals-screaming-eagle-jersey-tyler3.jpg

capitals-alternative-jersey-tyler2.jpg

capitals-atlernative-jersey-tyler1.jpg

ive never been a fan of the screaming eagle, but if your going to do it, the second one down is a solid looking sweater. I also like the W as a special 2-4 times a year deal. All people make mistakes, white/gold/blue was a mistake and should not be repeated.

Reactions: AZCapsDude

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Florchuk is whatever, but kinda surprised they aren't going to give Kannok-Leipert a chance in the minors. Not that either are anything more than NHL longshots.
Very surprised. Their RHD prospect pool is thin as it is and they most likely let one or two of Lewington/Hobbs/Williams go this offseason.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
ive never been a fan of the screaming eagle, but if your going to do it, the second one down is a solid looking sweater. I also like the W as a special 2-4 times a year deal. All people make mistakes, white/gold/blue was a mistake and should not be repeated.

Not a fan of those sweaters either. The Caps version of the Sabre's slug sweaters.

Also, I believe the proper color is copper not gold. ;) But, yeah, abysmal color combination.

Reactions: Corby78

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Interesting. Wonder if the writing was on the wall for Cashman and he elected for a more secure position. Should be a lot of solid coaching candidates to interview for the position. Spencer Carbery wasn't a defenseman when he played, but he's a very articulate coach who has done a tremendous job in Hershey. Would think he at least gets an interview

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Interesting. Wonder if the writing was on the wall for Cashman and he elected for a more secure position. Should be a lot of solid coaching candidates to interview for the position. Spencer Carbery wasn't a defenseman when he played, but he's a very articulate coach who has done a tremendous job in Hershey. Would think he at least gets an interview

The defense was a mess collectively this year (all year) so it would make sense that Cashman look elsewhere for opportunities. I wonder if Forsythe's name is also written on walls somewhere. He was here during the Cup run, but special teams have been stagnant for a few years now.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The defense was a mess collectively this year (all year) so it would make sense that Cashman look elsewhere for opportunities. I wonder if Forsythe's name is also written on walls somewhere. He was here during the Cup run, but special teams have been stagnant for a few years now.
Blaine has been here for three coaching staffs, if not more, so it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if the players have collectively tuned him out. Both of the PP units have been pretty stagnant in terms of players getting PP time over the past few seasons as well so again more likely they are tuning him out.

He’s been a very good assistant in the past but I agree he’s most likely gone in the offseason.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
He’s been a very good assistant in the past but I agree he’s most likely gone in the offseason.

I agree. I think he's a good coach. But sometimes things get a little too complacent after a long period of time.

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count all the times some announcer would make the comment "The Capitals have one of the best PP units in the whole league, even though their stats don't show it" over the past few years.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Blaine has been here for three coaching staffs, if not more, so it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if the players have collectively tuned him out. Both of the PP units have been pretty stagnant in terms of players getting PP time over the past few seasons as well so again more likely they are tuning him out.

It's still hard to say it's most likely given that they won the division. It might be an easier time to pivot with another new face (at least in a new role if not someone from outside the org entirely) but I wouldn't consider it overly likely.

I've seen a lot of Brooks Orpik talk re: Cashman's job but ideally I think they're going to want more experience.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Orpik - gone
Kempny - returning from major injury
Nisky - gone
Jensen - under water most of the season, too much expected
Siege - young D growing pains

I don’t think Cashman was at risk at all. He took a better job in the HC gig IMO. He could come back to the NHL after showing he can lead a program successfully.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's still hard to say it's most likely given that they won the division. It might be an easier time to pivot with another new face (at least in a new role if not someone from outside the org entirely) but I wouldn't consider it overly likely.

I've seen a lot of Brooks Orpik talk re: Cashman's job but ideally I think they're going to want more experience.

I’d be interested to know what relevant skills Orpik is missing to be an assistant today. If it’s just years on a resume, I’ll gladly substitute his work experience for that.

Dude is massively respected.....it’s a no brainer IMO, assuming he wants that life.

Reactions: JenniferH

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I have no idea what his career goals are, but if he wanted to, I could easily see Brooks becoming a terrific defensive assistant for a few years then a great HC after that. He's got the right set of chops for it. His game was never built on being more talented than the opponent, just tougher, smarter, more determined and well prepared. "Batya" is the ultimate sign of respect from the players, he earned that nickname. Played on two Cup winners and a few duds in between, so he knows the difference and what it takes.

Prediction: If Orpik wants to coach in the NHL he will be very good at it.

Edit, he also scored the GWG in the Caps first ever SC Finals victory, so that shit has to count for a LOT in Caps nation! :D

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I’d be interested to know what relevant skills Orpik is missing to be an assistant today. If it’s just years on a resume, I’ll gladly substitute his work experience for that.

Dude is massively respected.....it’s a no brainer IMO, assuming he wants that life.
I don't think it's just years on a resume but it's possible he has all of the skills already and can handle the learning curve. If that's in the cards then IMO you definitely want him in the mix during the stretch run in the coming months to ease the transition.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Far too soon for Orpik to be a regular behind the Capitals bench. There wouldn't be that separation between the player and the coach that is required. It could maybe work in another org, but not one that he just shared the ice with most of he team a couple years ago. There needs to be that gap, for both Orpik and for the players to respect Orpik properly. I know the assistant coach gets to often be the "good cop," but the players still need to view him as a coach rather than a teammate and he still needs to be able to dissociate with the locker room and view things objectively. I deal with this all the time with recent alumni in the high school organizations I work with. They want to help out, but they still feel too much connection to their teammates to be anything more than part time assistance.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Orpik - gone
Kempny - returning from major injury
Nisky - gone
Jensen - under water most of the season, too much expected
Siege - young D growing pains

I don’t think Cashman was at risk at all. He took a better job in the HC gig IMO. He could come back to the NHL after showing he can lead a program successfully.

Well, the defense was pretty mediocre last year as well, although better than this year (which was alarmingly bad at times).

I think we tend to overlook the 5 on 5 defense during the regular season last year because the PK unit was alarmingly bad for a long time. And because of the subsequent destruction of our defense against Carolina in the playoffs.

I'm not saying that it was Cashman's fault, but within the almost 2 seasons he's been in Washington, things haven't looked all that pretty on his end. Congrats on him either way, finally made it as a head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->